Battery life worse after JellyBean?

harold42483

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Well after a few weeks I noticed the battery life improved . I will send stats later today

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

deutschdragon

Feb 6, 2010
Visit site
I've noticed mine getting progressively worse. I'm having to charge it 4 to 5 times a day. I've got CyanogenMod 10 ROM on board and use the profiles to switch between usage settings when at work, home and driving. I'm managing the phone as best I can, but it doesn't seem to be making a difference. I'm reading in several other forums that over time, users of the Galaxy Nexus are finding the battery to be terrible. I'm beginning to think I'm just going to have to live with it...

deutschdragon

Feb 6, 2010
Visit site
So I decided to implement Gekko's suggestions, basically micromanaging the phone and completely negate the dynamic multimedia experience of the smartphone. Even implementing his suggestions, I only got ~8 hours of battery life. Very annoying.
Battery_Usage_SS1.jpgBattery_Usage_SS2.jpgBattery_Usage_SS3.jpg

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
So I decided to implement Gekko's suggestions, basically micromanaging the phone and completely negate the dynamic multimedia experience of the smartphone. Even implementing his suggestions, I only got ~8 hours of battery life. Very annoying.
]

1. huh? how exactly are you "completely negating the dynamic multimedia experience of the smartphone"? what are you not able to do as i result of these settings?
2. so you went from 3 hours of battery life to 8 hours with the new settings?

mcantu

May 26, 2011
Visit site

get rid of Panel App (isnt that the equivalent of a spammy browser tool bar?) and thats about 2 more hours of battery life

whats your screen brightness set at?

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
get rid of Panel App (isnt that the equivalent of a spammy browser tool bar?) and thats about 2 more hours of battery life

whats your screen brightness set at?

Agreed. Panel App is a battery pig. Don't blame the phone when you install obvious pig apps like that.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
View attachment 40985View attachment 40986View attachment 40987

Everyone, when posting screenshots of your battery stats, please include your "screen on" time. You can get this by taping the "Screen" entry in the battery stats. Screen on time will indicate how long were you actually using your phone. Battery stats are pretty useless without this info. FYI, on the Galaxy Nexus typical screen-on time is 2.5 - 4 hours.

GeneralTula

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
You should really calibrate the battery. I get 5-8 yes heavy use on my normal batteries since calibration. Use the battery until its completely dead. And I mean after it dies take it out and input it and turn the phone back on. Do this until the phone won't even boot up because the battery is so dead. After you have it deal leave the phone OFF and charge it for 6 yes (at least but no more than 8) and your battery will work fine. Trust me, its a little time consuming but the noticeability is immediate.

ackscis

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

I'm new here but I have a similar problem that needs to be dealt with. After the recent Jelly bean update about a week or two ago my battery life has gone down the drain and the worst part is I'm not even using it. I feel it heating up in my pocket and find out that Android OS, Phone Idle, and Cell Standby are taking up all my battery. The worst part is that after charging it to 100% before I sleep, I wake up to it being completely dead and turned off.

I don't even know how that makes sense but any tips would be greatly appreciated!

2012-10-20 14.08.15.png
2012-10-22 08.19.11.png

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
You should really calibrate the battery. I get 5-8 yes heavy use on my normal batteries since calibration. Use the battery until its completely dead. And I mean after it dies take it out and input it and turn the phone back on. Do this until the phone won't even boot up because the battery is so dead. After you have it deal leave the phone OFF and charge it for 6 yes (at least but no more than 8) and your battery will work fine. Trust me, its a little time consuming but the noticeability is immediate.

Don't do this. This advice has been debunked on multiple occasions.

efyoiphone

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Drained till power down. Then charged completely with phone off. Best battery life ever. Actually lasted longer than the stock battery for once.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1351495067757.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1351495067757.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 43

Bront

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Be sure to turn off NFC, and kill Google Wallet, and that seems to help.

I also found changing my background to something darker helped kick battery life up quite a bit. I've read that white and brighter colors suck more battery than darker colors.

I'll admit I don't have anything to compare it to from pre vs post jellybean, as I updated as soon as I got the phone a few weeks ago, but with some tweaking and the extended battery (2150 vs 1850, so not a huge difference) I've generally gotten good battery life out of it when I wasn't doing something stupid power wise (4G and GPS with screen on for a long time)

afrasay

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the reply Bront. I was trying to push it for one day charge but it didn't. Had to charge it two hrs before it reaches the 24 hr mark.

Mobius360

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
I had to go back to something that manages my connection because at work my cell reception is bad and the battery would go really quick. Before I used Juice Defender (the free version) but now I'm using Green Power Premium. There is a free version and it gets updates pretty regularly, might be worth a try for you. Once setup it runs completely in the background, you can leave notifications on or off and it has a lot of options.

Of course on screen time is still the same a before, but at least my phone doesn't lose battery life nearly as much as before when it just sits.

60% of the time it works every time!
*Sprint HIGH Speed 3G/LTE Nexus*

Bront

May 21, 2012
Visit site
FYI, if you've got 4G in your area, experiment with 4G signal vs 3G. I've found a few areas where I get better 4G signal than 3G signal.

Hvacmanjc

May 22, 2012
Visit site
I turned the phone from CDMA/LTE TO JUST CDMA. The radios are always searching for LTE towers.

Mobius360

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Personally I've noticed no real difference. As LTE is starting to come to Southern California I just turned it on to help with sensorly scans.

As I mentioned above though I'm using a application called Green Power to help manage the battery and connections.

60% of the time it works every time!
*Sprint HIGH Speed 3G/LTE Nexus*

emahfoud

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I started having this problem on my phone two days ago. I've been running 4.1.2 since it was rolled out OTA (probably more than a month).
Batter life has been pretty good (usually lasts 14 hours with everything turned on), until two days ago when it suddenly became so bad that the phone will die in 5 or 6 hours just sitting in my pocket.
The phone also displays "Not Charging" when I plug it in, and stays at the same level of battery no matter how long I keep it plugged. After several attempts and trying to clean the usb port, it finally started charging until 99% when it showed "not charging" again.

I tried uninstalling the one app (game) I installed two days ago, but didn't change. I've had some applications updated recently (Google Voice, Google+), I haven't tried uninstalling them yet.
This is making me so frustrated, especially the "not charging" thing. I read in several places that the GN has this issue sometimes and it wouldn't charge unless it's turned off. Mine never showed this behavior before. I don't know what happened! :'(

Screenshot_2012-11-15-11-58-07.png Screenshot_2012-11-15-11-59-33.png Screenshot_2012-11-15-11-59-49.png

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylorhudson5670