Can someone tell me where Play Music stores files that I have chosen to be kept on my device? I have used my file manager app to check Play Music data cache music folder and the default music storage folder. I have also searched the entire SD card folder with the search option in the app. I know it is on the device somewhere because my storage analysis says Play Music has 662 mb stored. I am also able to play the files with all data connections turned off. Thanks for any help.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    09-19-2012 01:46 AM
    Android-->data-->com.google.android.music-->cache

the files will not have the same name though - it will just be a number
    09-19-2012 07:23 AM
    It doesn't store them as .mp3 or any standard format does it?
    09-19-2012 11:39 AM
    I checked there and I don't see any files stored there. I wonder what format they are stored in though if not .mp3.

09-19-2012 02:03 PM
    Hmm - that's interesting. that folder in my device has a lot of my music (from google music) in mp3 format.

As a test, I deleted all the files in that folder, and tried to pull the music from the cloud again. It no longer stores the music there. I suspect that in Jellybean, they have moved the location somewhere. (the older files on my device are all from before I installed the JB update - when I had ICS) <-- I don't know for sure though.

---------- Post Merged at 04:49 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:48 PM ----------

If you have root explorer, try /data/data/com.google.android.music/cache/music/

Ref: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1752072
    09-19-2012 04:49 PM
    Hmm - that's interesting. that folder in my device has a lot of my music (from google music) in mp3 format.

As a test, I deleted all the files in that folder, and tried to pull the music from the cloud again. It no longer stores the music there. I suspect that in Jellybean, they have moved the location somewhere. (the older files on my device are all from before I installed the JB update - when I had ICS) <-- I don't know for sure though.

---------- Post Merged at 04:49 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:48 PM ----------

If you have root explorer, try /data/data/com.google.android.music/cache/music/

Ref: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1752072
    I just checked there with my root explorer. It's there in MP3 format, but the filenames are just numbers, nothing descriptive. I wonder if they moved it there to prevent people (without root) from being able to copy it.

09-19-2012 09:17 PM
    My phone is stock Jelly Bean. So I would have to root my phone to see them? How hard is it to root this phone?

09-19-2012 09:48 PM
    My phone is stock Jelly Bean. So I would have to root my phone to see them? How hard is it to root this phone?

A Nexus is really easy to root but you'll have to unlock the bootloader which will wipe everything.

09-19-2012 10:11 PM
    I wonder if they moved it there to prevent people (without root) from being able to copy it.
    hmm - not sure how that prevents me from copying music on my google account. I can always go to my desktop and run google music manager to download my music to the computer, and transfer to any device from there.
    09-20-2012 08:13 AM
    That's exactly what I did. I wanted to make a few ringtones so I just copied the songs I wanted to music folder then erased them when I was done.
    Thanks for the info though. I'm planning on buying a Nex7 when I hear someone has gotten a C90 in hand. I'll try my first hand at rooting then.

09-20-2012 09:02 PM
    The songs are in some folder you can find when you hook it up to the computer. Just drag them into the music folder. Personally, I got rid of Google Music, and am using a cheezy android music player that is no frills.
    09-20-2012 11:40 PM
    I found them somewhere else...

/data/data/com.google.android.music/files/music/
    06-06-2019 11:47 AM