A Soon to be Nexus Owner Has A Few Questions....

CardcaptorRLH85

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
My Sprint Galaxy Nexus should be delivered next week and I just have a few questions.

1) I've noticed that there's no dedicated "Rooting, ROM's and Hack's" forum for this device. Are Verizon GN ROM's fully compatible with this phone or should I just go elsewhere for that? (Honestly, I'm looking at either CM10 or AOKP which both support this phone [toroplus right?] but, I want to read up on root procedure beforehand so I don't mess anything up.)

2) Since I was able to, with my $50 Best Buy 'Happy 24' promotion gift card, get this phone for $0 'out the door' by renewing my contract, will I still be eligible for the free extended battery from Sprint or will I have to buy it?

3) I've heard, from a friend who has owned the Sprint Galaxy Nexus for a few months, that I should probably invest in a case. So, I was wondering, does anyone here have the OtterBox Defender case? I've heard nice things about it and I've handled the Defender style case for the EVO 4G in person, and liked the look and feel of it. However, I've heard various bad things about it for this device, for example, a couple of the reviews on Otterbox's website say that it's a bit loose without the extended battery. Since this would be the first device that I'll definitely be getting an extended battery for, (even though EVERY smartphone I've ever owned has had it's battery life drop to less than 12 hours in less than 12 months >_<), I want to make sure that I buy a case that will fit. However, since the brick-and-mortar store case prices are insane, I want to see how some other users are faring with cases on their phones.

Thanks for any help you guys can give me, I've been a member here since about a month after I got my Optimus S and I'm hoping that the Galaxy Nexus community is as nice as the one over there ^_^

StealthTH

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
For point 2...all you need is your galaxy nexus activated on your account. The offer cannot be done online but if you call *2 and speak with tel sales it will be simple.

For me on point 3, I roll with my nexus naked. I hate how big phones are with those cases on them. I don't resell my phones though, for example I still have my ns4g lying around. I do this to save money on tep. If I break my phone I will just go back to my old one until I either buy replacement parts or a whole phone on eBay for a good price.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
We have never opened a Rooting and Hacking section for the Sprint Galaxy Nexus because their just hasn't been enough demand for it.

Doesn't mean we don't support it, we just don't have a dedicated section to it.

LAST AND MOST IMPORTANT.

DON'T FLASH THE VERIZON GALAXY NEXUS ROMS....

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
We have never opened a Rooting and Hacking section for the Sprint Galaxy Nexus because their just hasn't been enough demand for it.

Doesn't mean we don't support it, we just don't have a dedicated section to it.

LAST AND MOST IMPORTANT.

DON'T FLASH THE VERIZON GALAXY NEXUS ROMS....

To the last point, only flash roms that say toroplus. If it says anything else--toro, maguro, grouper--don't flash or download!

For the other points, the above differences and points aside (toroplus versus toro, etc.), a lot of the Verizon material is applicable and appropriate for the toroplus.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Welcome.

1- I like OE Jelly Bean 4.1.1 that got updated last month. I unrooted to get it.
2- You can get the extended battery from Sprint.
3- I use the Sedio w/kickstand case or the Otterbox Commuter case. I like to protect my investment.

Mav. :cool:

DIPNINANOUT

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
1. Look IP my dude zedomax/highonandroid on YouTube or twitter. He has methods to help you and also definetly go with aokp. More stable and customizable.

2.its free for new contracts or existing. How do I know I'm existing and I have two :]

3. Definetly get seido case if ur planning on getting extended battery they have a bulky case call led combo case. I have active with holster. Its cheaper than otter box and has option of kickstand.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1349436360828.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1349436360828.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 34

DIPNINANOUT

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Here's my second one. I picked that charger up on eBay for 5 bucks took a week to get here and takes a few hours to charged but I come home to a full battery. Extended battery lasts as long as phone idel.

CardcaptorRLH85

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Thank you all for your posts! After reading them I'm thinking about the Seidio Active Case (extended version so I can use the 2100mAh battery from Sprint) however, I have a question about it. Does the holster for this case block the headphone jack? I've discovered that the Otterbox Defender case holster does block the headphone jack and that's a problem for me. Quite a bit of my phone usage is as a Digital Audio Player while it's on my hip in a case or holster. So, I prefer that port to be clear. Again, thank you all for your informative posts.

DIPNINANOUT

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It doesnt block it on the active case but combo it does. Here's photo of my second extended battery

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1349486877808.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1349486877808.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 34