Free WiFi tether for stock Jelly Bean?

Downtown Taco

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
So, here's an interesting question. Does anyone know of an app that allows free WiFi tethering? I used Foxfi on my Galaxy S2 but it doesn't work on the GNex. Any suggestions?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

cptmcnair

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I have to use PDANet 3.5 on my GS2 and Pdanet Tablet on my Transformer Prime. You start up Pdanet on the phone. It starts Foxfi. Select Bluetooth. Then go to the tablet and start Pdanet Tablet. I was lost until I found this combo

saltiel

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
TMobile blocking tethering

as of this morning I can no longer wifi tether on my gnex. I am running stock jb.
foxfi and open garden won't get through. arrg. any ideas to let me?

waynebeep

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
how does open garden work? i cant get it to find my device on my laptop

Read the app description in the Play store or visit their website. There is a wealth of information there plus they have a forum and they are good about helping troubeshoot. I've been using it for a week with my nonroot Galaxy Nexus. The only issue I have is the only way I can figure out how to turn it off is by turning off bluetooth which is awkward but not deal breaking.

CaMelGuY1337

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Sadly, you're probably not to going to be finding one. Sprint has done a very nice job in regards to blocking free tethering. I have root and have tried the "WiFi Tether for Root Users" with very limited success. It's pretty much stopped working too. You can give it a try for yourself.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...googlecode.android.wifi.tether&token=tqXFgABw

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Zeinzu

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I use the built in tether for free. Just decompile the framework and remove the provisions for tether, then recompile and push/flash.

Sent from my AOSP Android 4.1.1 Galaxy Nexus.

TOOLEY

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I use the built in tether for free. Just decompile the framework and remove the provisions for tether, then recompile and push/flash.

Please explain, perhaps step by step? Or a link to such a file?

jayEvo1

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site

Hi Zeinzu!
Any Chance you would consider posting a step-by-step instruction as to how you accomplished the free tethering on your GS3. You'll be greatly appreciated :)

StealthTH

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site

I too would like to have a step by step on this.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Zeinzu

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
4u2a6a2a.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

wiltavares135

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Could you please give step by step instructions of how to do that for dummies? I have no clue on how to do what you said.

I have been using open garden on my gs3 Sprint for about a week it works with Bluetooth like mentioned above but what if I want to connect to a computer that doesn't have Bluetooth?

Thank you in advance

Mobius360

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Could you please give step by step instructions of how to do that for dummies? I have no clue on how to do what you said.

I have been using open garden on my gs3 Sprint for about a week it works with Bluetooth like mentioned above but what if I want to connect to a computer that doesn't have Bluetooth?

Thank you in advance

Bluetooth dongle perhaps

Zeinzu

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
There is no "for dummies". You either understand how to do it or you need to learn a bunch of stuff before you try. All the resources you need you can find on your own. You need to decompile the framework and edit the strings in one of the xmls to remove the provision checks for tether, recompile, then replace the original framework in your system partition.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy