My Christmas Present to Myself

koeylondon

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
This year, for a slightly early Christmas present, I'll be buying myself a new (and by new, I mean used or refurbished) GNex4G on Sprint. I'm looking now to see what I should expect to pay, but with the announce of the LGNexus, I was wondering what the field thinks about the next few months for a GNex, and if anyone has any tips on where to look. I've been stalking Ebay, though I have to think there's better options out there. Craigslist in Chicago might be a good option (I live in Chi-town), but I'm concerned about the lack of accountability as well as the problem of filtering out all the SPAM to find an actual ad.

Thoughts?

henywatty

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm not much of an expert on prices, but I am knowledgeable about the actual quality of phones and their OS. Here's what I can offer:

This is the Android Central report on everything they know about the LG Nexus: http://www.androidcentral.com/lg-s-nexus-here-s-what-we-know-so-far

If you are keen on the latest Android OS, you will find that in both phones. However, it is highly likely the LG Nexus will ship with Android 4.2, whatever they decide to call it.

Lastly, I would just like to put forward my strongest recommendations that you buy a phone running Jelly Bean and up. I have a Nexus 7 and Jelly Bean is amazing!

All the best!

Sent from my Nexus 7 running Android Jelly Bean 4.1.2

koeylondon

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
The plan is to buy a Galaxy Nexus (unless I find someone selling a brand new LG Nexus for some ridiculous price). I was thinking about the Nexus S for a while, but I know it's at end of life and I want something that will continue to get updates for the next year or so, since it'll be my daily driver.

I'm hoping to start my relationship with the Samsung Nexus for about two bills, though if I can start for a bit less, I'd also like to get the regular accessories (case, extra battery, etc). Again, if anyone has any suggestions as to where to look, I have to think that ebay wouldn't be the best place to look. Am I crazy?

DIPNINANOUT

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
You can get the extended battery for 12 bucks through sprint. Also if you don't mind signing a new contract you can also get the galaxy nexus for 0.00 on sprint. Problem solved.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

koeylondon

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
Is it strange for me to say that I didn't even know that there WAS a Marketplace forum?

All that said, now that I've combed that forum, any other ideas? lol

Bront

May 21, 2012
Visit site
You can get the extended battery for 12 bucks through sprint. Also if you don't mind signing a new contract you can also get the galaxy nexus for 0.00 on sprint. Problem solved.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
I couldn't get sprint to go under $100. Amazon had it for $50 though, and I got sprint to credit me $50. I just need to get them to send me the free extended battery once it arrives.

berrydroidapple

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I purchased my Nexus S 4G on swappa.com for a bargain, I see the have the GNex for a good price.

The site is for people on contracts or with carriers.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

koeylondon

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
I purchased my Nexus S 4G on swappa.com for a bargain, I see the have the GNex for a good price.

The site is for people on contracts or with carriers.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Thanks a ton! I'll keep an eye out. With the LG Optimus G coming to Sprint next month, we'll see if some power users ditch their GNex for an OptiG. I'm just hoping the price comes down just a teeney bit off contract so I can get one in my budget. The NexS looks cool, but I know I'll kick myself if I get the NexS and then it hits obselete status and AOKP/AOSP/etc stop builds for it.

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Thanks a ton! I'll keep an eye out. With the LG Optimus G coming to Sprint next month, we'll see if some power users ditch their GNex for an OptiG. I'm just hoping the price comes down just a teeney bit off contract so I can get one in my budget. The NexS looks cool, but I know I'll kick myself if I get the NexS and then it hits obselete status and AOKP/AOSP/etc stop builds for it.

If I recall correctly, it has an official JellyBean update, and the full source files for building are available to developers for 4.1, so it won't be "obsolete" anytime soon. If nothing else, it should be just fine until your next upgrade cycle comes around. We won't know for sure until the specs for KLP drop, but my understanding is that it's supposed to build from JB as far as speed and increased battery life.

GiantJay

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Wait till October 29th. The price should drop for the Galaxy Nexus when the new one is announced. Ebay has them new refurbished used etc. Just buy from a credible vendor.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

koeylondon

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
@Rat- I've thought about the Nexus S, as I said. If something were to happen to my OptiS, I'd probably even go that way. However, as long as I have a solid phone, I'm pretty dedicated to getting this gen of Nexus, if only so that I don't kick myself for getting an older phone when the GNex was only a few months away from hitting my price range.

@Giant- Yea, that's what my wife tells me. Also, I need to wait for my "ship to come in" so to speak. The money will be here, and when it is, it's likely that the price will drop out from under the GNex. It's still hard to wait. And I have a standing agreement with the wife: If I see one listed as "good" condition for less than 175, I'm allowed to jump IF I can confirm that the ESN is clean and that "Good" means that the screen is basically flawless.

It'll be a while before I see that (saw a few listed as Good at 200 recently. Here's hoping).

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Yep hang in there man.. The price should dip down a bit once the next Nexus is officially on the books.

Crazy part is how well devices still hold their value on the market.. You can still drop a good condition Nexus S on EBay for $125-$150... Thats crazy for a device that is now showing some real age but again its a Nexus and its a FULLY supported Nexus in AOSP development so it gets extra kudo's for that reason alone.

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Yep hang in there man.. The price should dip down a bit once the next Nexus is officially on the books.

Crazy part is how well devices still hold their value on the market.. You can still drop a good condition Nexus S on EBay for $125-$150... Thats crazy for a device that is now showing some real age but again its a Nexus and its a FULLY supported Nexus in AOSP development so it gets extra kudo's for that reason alone.

Yep. The one year newer Droid Bionic is just now getting ICS. Nexus means your phone will be up to date much sooner, and for longer ;)

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
I have a NS4G on contract until 8/13, upgrade available 6/13. I want a GNex soon.

I called Sprint last week, I can buy out my contract in Nov for $100, activate an old used dumb phone on the NS4G line, then upgrade to the Gnex at BB for $49. Doing it this way allows me to upgrade but still keep my NS4G to experiment with rooting and ROMS, since I'm chicken and won't do it on my active phone, well, because I need it.

I'm waiting until November to see what an LG Nexus has to offer. Either way, it's gonna be a Nexus.

What?!!...I'm msndrstood.
Sent from my NS4G on JB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2