Android 4.2 Compatible kernels?

Downtown Taco

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Hey all. I'm confuzzled. I'm using Tapatalk and cannot find a sub forum for Gnex rooting and blah. Oh well.
Anyway, I'm running Muzzy's (Sorry if I misspelled that!) most recent 4.2.1 AOSP ROM. Stock everything, except with root. I'm wanting to overclock, but can I do that on stock with a different kernel or must it be a totally different ROM?
Thanks in advance :D

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

anon(335536)

May 27, 2011
Visit site
As long as the kernel runs the linux version required by the ROM, and contains the correct libraries/shard objects, etc, you can use that kernel with any ROM. You can also flash a kernel without flashing the rest of the device. They are stored in different sectors of the flash. As far as which kernel to use to overclock, I've been happy with the gnex so I have not looked into any kernels. I've done a lot of kernel hacking (created a kernel for the Samsung Replenish so we could overclock that) but that was a dog slow phone so it needed it.

What apps do you run that you need to run faster out of curiosity.

Downtown Taco

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
As long as the kernel runs the linux version required by the ROM, and contains the correct libraries/shard objects, etc, you can use that kernel with any ROM. You can also flash a kernel without flashing the rest of the device. They are stored in different sectors of the flash. As far as which kernel to use to overclock, I've been happy with the gnex so I have not looked into any kernels. I've done a lot of kernel hacking (created a kernel for the Samsung Replenish so we could overclock that) but that was a dog slow phone so it needed it.

What apps do you run that you need to run faster out of curiosity.

I tried franco's kernel with 4.2.1 but it boot looped and never started. It worked with 4.1.1 but wasn't very stable. So now I'm here.
And I'm just over clocking because I want to honestly...

Bront

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I'd be afraid of burning the battery out even faster by overclocking.

I haven't flashed a new ROM yet though. I should roll back my recovery so I can still get OTA updates though.

mij9895

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Frankly, I'd be afraid to over clock this phone with all the overheating issues I suffer from with it. If I have too many problems with this phone over the next few days, I'm calling customer service to see if they'll exchange it for a Galaxy S III. (This is GNex # 2 for me.)

Mr_Mojo_Risin

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the same Issue. I want a new kernel so I can calibrate the scree color on my Galaxy Nexus. I am also running Muzzy's 4.2.1. I tried installing Franco kernel but it boot looped as well. Still looking for a resolution!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae