Sprint 4.2.1

CaMelGuY1337

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Google has acknowledged the random reboot issue and said it's an OS level problem, so ing at Sprint and throwing a tantrum won't help you. From what I understand, rooting and using a custom ROM may help. Google is working on a fix.

I have experienced a few random reboots on my Sprint GNex, maybe 3 times since I updated to 4.2 a week or so ago. A bit annoying but not a daily occurrence or anything. I can live with it until the fix is pushed out.

Also, explain to me your logic. Of course I can root and flash custom ROMs, tell me though....why should I have to fix my own phone if I didn't mess it up?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I think the biggest thing to keep in mind is we know a fix will be available eventually, hopefully sooner than later.

Google does a great job at testing and getting things working but it's known they do leave some bugs behind and not always the most desirable conditions. Many times the OEM's/carriers make things better when they get the same AOSP code tweaked to suit the branded devices but they still have their own share of issues by doing so.

So we have seen the 4.2.2 update has rolled out to the GSM Gnex, Nexus 7 and Nexus 10 so it's now probably in the hands of Sprint to play with and decide when they are satisfied with their own internal testing to approve it/add their proprietary files and give Google the green light to push it out to the Sprint Gnex.

I just wish a common agreement could be made among Google/OEM's/carriers to make it a user selectable option to upgrade so your not bombarded with repeated prompts to update.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

BenjaSands

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
My problems are documented on another thread in here... my phone was working great on 4.1.1 and since I was notified everyday to restart and install 4.2.1 I was like what they hey so I finally did it. When I had the reboot problem initially (with my first Nexus) initiating a call, or answering a call, or calling a number from my recent numbers list would automatically freeze the phone and then just reinstall... with this Nexus I have been on 4.2.1 around two days now and it is working flawlessly. Another posted mentioned that it might have been a radio problem with my first Nexus and that really makes sense now. I have GA02 now ... and I remember on my first Nexus I had FC something or what seemed like an old radio ON JELLYBEAN (i dont know how thats possible but it was the case)! So yeah... 4.2.1 is working fine for me. It seems the phone takes longer to charge but I mean that is no biggie. The most important thing for me is I can now make and receive calls without having to worry about reboots :D

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
I just wish a common agreement could be made among Google/OEM's/carriers to make it a user selectable option to upgrade so your not bombarded with repeated prompts to update.
Found this in the Nexus 4 forum. About to give it a try...
Thanks for pointing this out, on the Google Services Framework if you uncheck "Show Notifications" the notification to install the pesky update for 4.2.2 disappears.. this was what I was looking for so that I don't click on the update to 4.2.2 by mistake.
I'm one of the few that does not want to update my Nexus 4 to this lastest version yet. I'm happy with 4.2.1
I'm so sick of clicking "install later" and/or swiping the notification away for 4.2.1. Hopefully this will keep it at bay for a while until I hear that 4.2.2 has started rolling out to us.

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
There are other ways to get to 4.2.1 - example, root and install a custom ROM, or sideload. So, my answer was specific to the ones who did OTA to get to 4.2.1 (unrooted). Factory reset on the stock 4.2.1 ROM doesn't change your OS version back to 4.1.1 - it will stay 4.2.1

On Custom ROMs, it should be the same behavior, but since it is a custom ROM, the developer may have provided the ability to factory reset back to a previous version (custom 'factory reset') - I can't speak for those.

Majority of custom roms are different and cm10.1 is on 4.2.2 already

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.2 using Tapatalk 2

regression

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I too am having horrible overheating / battery / lag issues. Here are some screen shots of my battery this morning. I guess I will have to look into rooting and installing a custom ROM.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-02-19-11-55-17.png
    Screenshot_2013-02-19-11-55-17.png
    146.7 KB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot_2013-02-19-11-55-25.png
    Screenshot_2013-02-19-11-55-25.png
    111.4 KB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot_2013-02-19-11-55-38.png
    Screenshot_2013-02-19-11-55-38.png
    84 KB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot_2013-02-19-11-55-48.png
    Screenshot_2013-02-19-11-55-48.png
    92 KB · Views: 20

CaMelGuY1337

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I too am having horrible overheating / battery / lag issues. Here are some screen shots of my battery this morning. I guess I will have to look into rooting and installing a custom ROM.

It has to be the location services problem. Try keeping your GPS and location options off. I know that sucks, but I have seen positive results from it. That's about all we can do outsode of waiting for 4.2.2 to come to us or we can root and use a custom ROM.

regression

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
It has to be the location services problem. Try keeping your GPS and location options off. I know that sucks, but I have seen positive results from it. That's about all we can do outsode of waiting for 4.2.2 to come to us or we can root and use a custom ROM.

GPS is off. I will try turning off the "wi-fi & mobile network location" and see if that helps.

regression

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
After turning off all location services, I am still getting pretty poor battery life. However, my phone is not hot to the touch when I am not using it, like it was before.

Here are screen shots of 44 minutes on battery. I lost 10% with 1 1/2 minutes of screen time. I know poor signal strength will use more battery, and half way through the 44 minutes it went from the puke color to green. Maybe if I see how it discharges while in a "good" signal area.

Also, I don't understand why "Android System" shows 40 minutes of keep awake, but for the 44 minutes I was on battery, the first screen shot only shows a tiny bit of awake time.

Screenshot_2013-02-20-07-12-30.pngScreenshot_2013-02-20-07-12-40.pngScreenshot_2013-02-20-07-12-49.pngScreenshot_2013-02-20-07-13-10.pngScreenshot_2013-02-20-07-13-18.png

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Things should improve with 4.2.2 when that is released at some point. Its no secret that 4.2.1 has some issues for not only the GNex users but also N4 & N7 folks.

CaMelGuY1337

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Well, there's 3 more reboots today... now bringing my total to 30 all together. Rooting this thing after work. I'm so sick of the 4.2.1 debacle, what happened to quality control?

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
After turning off all location services, I am still getting pretty poor battery life. However, my phone is not hot to the touch when I am not using it, like it was before.

Here are screen shots of 44 minutes on battery. I lost 10% with 1 1/2 minutes of screen time. I know poor signal strength will use more battery, and half way through the 44 minutes it went from the puke color to green. Maybe if I see how it discharges while in a "good" signal area.

Also, I don't understand why "Android System" shows 40 minutes of keep awake, but for the 44 minutes I was on battery, the first screen shot only shows a tiny bit of awake time.
I know you know this but sometimes if two things happen at once you forget about one and focus on the other. Did you happen to switch your mobile network setting to LTE/CDMA? I ask because Sprint put a bunch of 4g networks online around the same time 4.2.1 came out. I had switched my network only to have my battery drain trying to find the one 4g tower in Washington, DC. Once I switched it back to just CDMA, battery life improved tremendously. Just a thought.

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.

regression

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I know you know this but sometimes if two things happen at once you forget about one and focus on the other. Did you happen to switch your mobile network setting to LTE/CDMA? I ask because Sprint put a bunch of 4g networks online around the same time 4.2.1 came out. I had switched my network only to have my battery drain trying to find the one 4g tower in Washington, DC. Once I switched it back to just CDMA, battery life improved tremendously. Just a thought.

The city I am in is currently being upgraded to 4G. Since where I live and work (and my commute) doesn't have 4G coverage right now, I will switch to use only CDMA and see if that helps.

Speaking of 4G, the times I have been in 4G coverage areas, the speeds have been pretty good. Even the worse 4G speeds I have seen, around 5 Mbps, is light years better than the horrible 3G speeds I get (usually 0.1 Mbps).

Thanks to everyone who offered advice!

CaMelGuY1337

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I just really think it sucks that we have to sit here and troubleshoot our devices because some dumb@$$ didn't do there job in the testing phase.

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
The city I am in is currently being upgraded to 4G. Since where I live and work (and my commute) doesn't have 4G coverage right now, I will switch to use only CDMA and see if that helps.

Thanks to everyone who offered advice!
Let me know if it helped.

regression

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Let me know if it helped.

Actually, it looks like it got worse. I am sure there are other factors involved, so while switching to CDMA might help in some situations, I might have another one that it doesn't really make that much difference.

I work in IT so I realize bugs slip through when writing software, but it is the amount of time Sprint takes to fix (or attempt to fix) the problem which really lacking. There should be quicker updates. Google can do it, why can't Sprint?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-02-21-06-33-35.png
    Screenshot_2013-02-21-06-33-35.png
    90.1 KB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot_2013-02-21-06-33-25.png
    Screenshot_2013-02-21-06-33-25.png
    97.8 KB · Views: 24
  • Screenshot_2013-02-21-06-33-17.png
    Screenshot_2013-02-21-06-33-17.png
    147.4 KB · Views: 23

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
well, ok, I'll ask. Why is lookout taking up so much battery? It almost seems like it is trying to locate you or do something. Using CPU for 9 minutes out of 34 minutes is kinda high (IMO).

How do these numbers (for lookout) look after about 8 hours? Hopefully, lookout is a very low percentage (1% or so) - is that the case? If not, maybe uninstall lookout for a day or two and see what happens.

Edit: One other suggestion: After charging, disable 3g (keep only wifi on) - and see if there is a noticeable improvement.

regression

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
well, ok, I'll ask. Why is lookout taking up so much battery? It almost seems like it is trying to locate you or do something. Using CPU for 9 minutes out of 34 minutes is kinda high (IMO).

How do these numbers (for lookout) look after about 8 hours? Hopefully, lookout is a very low percentage (1% or so) - is that the case? If not, maybe uninstall lookout for a day or two and see what happens.

Edit: One other suggestion: After charging, disable 3g (keep only wifi on) - and see if there is a noticeable improvement.

I will check out the numbers for Lookout later in the day. Right now, I am debating on rooting and installing the Sorcery ROM or paying my ETF and getting the Nexus 4.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci