ultrabook Help/ nexus question

slinkies

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Bro you should do some research on Google before posting all these random posts and no that's a horrible buy windows 8 blows you'll hate it trust I had taken a laptop back last month cuz windows 8 sucks so bad it restricts pretty much everything there's so much security it sux I'd go with a Windows 7 machine if I were you.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
1: this isn't really the place to be asking that. This is for questions about the Sprint Galaxy Nexus.
2: for 300 you're getting 2gb ram with a 1.83ghz Atom processor. Can you say NETBOOK??? It doesn't even have a manufacturer listed! And win8 isn't easy to work with for rooting anyways.
You can pick up a slightly heavier HP Probook 6530b for around the same price, Windows 7, 4gb ram, 160gb hdd. Of the 700+ that we deployed here at my day job, the failure rate was extremely low, and coming off warranty this year, they are abundant in the used market now.

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
1: this isn't really the place to be asking that. This is for questions about the Sprint Galaxy Nexus.
I agree

And Win8 isn't easy to work with for rooting anyways.
Why? Rooting the GNex (and the EVO 3D) was painless on Win 8 - there is really no difference in the sequence of steps (except that after booting into Win 8, you have to click the desktop tile to get to the desktop). Everything after that is really no different.

cuz windows 8 sucks so bad it restricts pretty much everything there's so much security it sux
Eh? What does it restrict? Are you referring to UAC prompts (that exist on Win 7 too, and can be turned down if needed)? More security (as long as it doesn't prevent a user from doing what they want to do) is, in my opinion, an awesome thing!

@Justin - Windows (8 or 7 or XP) does not have the software to root the Nexus - you have to download the drivers, the ADB software, the recovery etc. Before buying Windows 8, please, please, please find a friend who has a computer with Win 8 (or go to a local store where you can play around with one) - use it and make sure you are ok with the difference. Some folks hate the metro tiled interface (you are forced to see it when you log in unless you install 3rd party software to bypass it) - but it takes one click from the metro tiled interface (Desktop tile) to get to the desktop and stay there, and use it like you use previous versions. Again, some hate it, while some (including me) are ok with it. Try it out to find out which group you fall into, before you spend money on it.

Also, read more about the enhancements in Win 8 compared to Win 7 - no need to install (most) printer drivers, enhanced task manager, fast boot, refresh/reset, - more here, or here - there are plenty more.

I'm not going to get into an argument of which OS is better - to each their own. This is NOT the forum to discuss that.
As for the item you asked about, $300 for the unbranded (read: no warranty, may be hard to find spare parts) notebook with an Atom Processor and 2GB RAM - yeah, you can do better than that. Personally, I'd suggest spending a little more if needed to get a branded notebook with at least an i3 or i5, with at least 4GB RAM. Check out deal sites like slickdeals or fatwallet

All references to Win 8 above are for full fledged Win 8 - not Win 8 RT

Downtown Taco

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I agree

Why? Rooting the GNex (and the EVO 3D) was painless on Win 8 - there is really no difference in the sequence of steps (except that after booting into Win 8, you have to click the desktop tile to get to the desktop). Everything after that is really no different.

Eh? What does it restrict? Are you referring to UAC prompts (that exist on Win 7 too, and can be turned down if needed)? More security (as long as it doesn't prevent a user from doing what they want to do) is, in my opinion, an awesome thing!

@Justin - Windows (8 or 7 or XP) does not have the software to root the Nexus - you have to download the drivers, the ADB software, the recovery etc. Before buying Windows 8, please, please, please find a friend who has a computer with Win 8 (or go to a local store where you can play around with one) - use it and make sure you are ok with the difference. Some folks hate the metro tiled interface (you are forced to see it when you log in unless you install 3rd party software to bypass it) - but it takes one click from the metro tiled interface (Desktop tile) to get to the desktop and stay there, and use it like you use previous versions. Again, some hate it, while some (including me) are ok with it. Try it out to find out which group you fall into, before you spend money on it.

Also, read more about the enhancements in Win 8 compared to Win 7 - no need to install (most) printer drivers, enhanced task manager, fast boot, refresh/reset, - more here, or here - there are plenty more.

I'm not going to get into an argument of which OS is better - to each their own. This is NOT the forum to discuss that.
As for the item you asked about, $300 for the unbranded (read: no warranty, may be hard to find spare parts) notebook with an Atom Processor and 2GB RAM - yeah, you can do better than that. Personally, I'd suggest spending a little more if needed to get a branded notebook with at least an i3 or i5, with at least 4GB RAM. Check out deal sites like slickdeals or fatwallet

All references to Win 8 above are for full fledged Win 8 - not Win 8 RT

My God...an intelligent person on the internet...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thambu63