Rebooting issue becoming ridiculous.

prolongExistence

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Hi

Yeah, at this point I'd recommend getting your phone stock and unrooted then handed over to Sprint. Just make them understand that it's bad hardware so they don't hand it back. Sorry bud.

FYI, a key argument for convincing them it's hardware related is to tell them you called Samsung tech support for the issue and they couldn't help. You really can call if you like, but at this point you've done more to troubleshoot than anyone on the phone will.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

Yea. Thanks for the help & thanks for the tip. Hope I find a happy repair tech.

prolongExistence

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Tonight, I reverted back to stock, unrooted & locked the bootloader. I went to 2 different Sprint owned repair centers in hopes of getting a replacement. First store, the tech trainee told me my battery was "very swollen". She tried to say that it's so swollen that the back cover barely fits. Mind you, this is the 2200mAh free extended battery that I got only a few months ago. She tested it with their battery tester and low and behold, the tester said it was fine. I took my phone and left. I went to the 2nd store (where I usually go for repairs) and the tech there (whom I've dealt with in the past) said the same thing. I've never heard of such a thing & I don't even see it. If I put the battery on the table, it sits nice and flat. No bubble, no rocking.

Anyway, I switched back to my old, original 1850mAh battery and unlocked, rooted and reflashed Mmuzzy. Guess I'll see what happens. :mad:

Ethan Grimes

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
Tonight, I reverted back to stock, unrooted & locked the bootloader. I went to 2 different Sprint owned repair centers in hopes of getting a replacement. First store, the tech trainee told me my battery was "very swollen". She tried to say that it's so swollen that the back cover barely fits. Mind you, this is the 2200mAh free extended battery that I got only a few months ago. She tested it with their battery tester and low and behold, the tester said it was fine. I took my phone and left. I went to the 2nd store (where I usually go for repairs) and the tech there (whom I've dealt with in the past) said the same thing. I've never heard of such a thing & I don't even see it. If I put the battery on the table, it sits nice and flat. No bubble, no rocking.

Anyway, I switched back to my old, original 1850mAh battery and unlocked, rooted and reflashed Mmuzzy. Guess I'll see what happens. :mad:

Wow, that is....crazy. Couldn't they see it said 2100mAh vs. the stock one? Anyway, you can try contacting Asurion directly if you have insurance through Sprint. The kernel panic I researched a bit and it looks like between Android and Linux environments the fix usually ends up being hardware related or using a different kernel. As you've flashed various builds for your device, we know you've used different kernels so that only leaves hardware (the gpu seemed to be what was generally blamed on the Android side of the fence). I certainly hope somehow changing the battery fixes it for you, but it seems highly unlikely. Let us know what happens.

prolongExistence

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Went to Sprint store again today after 70 reboots in 10 days. Of course I returned to stock first. Made them test my batteries, which of course, they were fine (no big shock there). Then the tech supposedly fixed it. He said they have a way of reinstalling without loosing any of my stuff on the phone. I'm assuming all he did was a dirty flash. Correct me if there's a better explanation. I told him I'm certain that he didn't fix it but while I played with it in the store it wouldn't crash. Go figure.

On a side note, while I was waiting, I played with the S4 & the HTC One. Neither of them wowed me which is good, pretty stupid to upgrade to a dual band phone now anyway.

vincentallen2

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Went to Sprint store again today after 70 reboots in 10 days. Of course I returned to stock first. Made them test my batteries, which of course, they were fine (no big shock there). Then the tech supposedly fixed it. He said they have a way of reinstalling without loosing any of my stuff on the phone. I'm assuming all he did was a dirty flash. Correct me if there's a better explanation. I told him I'm certain that he didn't fix it but while I played with it in the store it wouldn't crash. Go figure.

On a side note, while I was waiting, I played with the S4 & the HTC One. Neither of them wowed me which is good, pretty stupid to upgrade to a dual band phone now anyway.

This is exactly what they did with mine, they first took my phone and wiped it and said it was fine, then they "reflashed" it but my phone so contained all of its data. From what I've been told, they're main objective is to convince the customer that the problem is fixed while doing everything possible to not order a replacement.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Ethan Grimes

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
You can demand a replacement from Sprint via Asurion. You'll end up being out $100 for a refurbished phone to be sent back to you, but at this point it sounds like they're just going to keep running you around. Show them the uptime in the about phone after a reboot, let them see that it's only been on x amount of time and that you've already brought it in before. Make enough noise and they'll do what they can. The insurance through Sprint (Asurion) sucks, I've had tremendous luck through Best Buy regardless of hearing some horror stories, they take a $50 deposit, give you a loaner and you get the deposit back once they get their loaner back. You have to have bought your phone through them to get their insurance but it seems worth it. Anyway, just keep fighting or call them and get them to note your account that you need a replacement so when you go into the store they can't **** you around.

prolongExistence

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Well the tech today did tell me that if I keep having issues to just call the store (see if he's there) and they will send me a replacement. I wouldn't have to deal with the BS diagnostics they pretend to do since they already did it today. I kinda feel like they are just trying to frustrate me enough to get me to upgrade to a new phone (I've been eligible for a month now). I see no reason to upgrade right now, my GNex is almost running the most up to date Android (4.2.2 instead of 4.3) and why would I lock in 2 yrs with a dual band phone when tri band is right around the corner.

So far, it ran for 12 hrs with no issues. Then I reflashed Mmuzzy and it's still going good (2 hrs so far). I have no idea what this guy could've done but maybe it actually worked.

I have both Reboot Logger and Bootlog Uptime installed to keep track of the reboots. I purposely used Helium to back up their data and then restored after I returned to stock just so I could show Sprint all the reboots.

I'm not to sure I want to pay a $100 deductible since I think I only paid $100 for the phone to begin with. I bought it on eBay. Plus I feel that since I'm paying $120/yr per phone for TEP then I should be able to get a free replacement. Otherwise, what good is TEP really?

Ethan Grimes

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm not to sure I want to pay a $100 deductible since I think I only paid $100 for the phone to begin with. I bought it on eBay. Plus I feel that since I'm paying $120/yr per phone for TEP then I should be able to get a free replacement. Otherwise, what good is TEP really?

Exactly. TEP is what makes it $100 instead of buying the whole device over again. The first couple of years I had my wife on my plan, we had to use TEP a couple of times. Once was about six months after getting her a new HTC Evo 4G (OG) when it just simply died, no rhyme or reason, no water damage. Took it to the store and they verified that it simply died, but I still had to pay $100 for a replacement that would be refurbished which is exactly what we got. Second time was she dropped it and caused some kind of an odd short that would make it work and not work, again, we had to pay $100. When I complained each time and told them I had TEP they explained that TEP is what makes it "only" $100 instead of just buying a whole new device. TEP is a massive ripoff and from my very positive Best Buy insurance exchanges, I'm probably going with them for all future phones.

Aside from that, I hope whatever the tech did actually did help fix it for you. There's nothing worse than an unstable phone and no one willing to help. Personally I'm eager to switch over to T-Mo so I can pick up whatever piece of Nexus kit comes around the corner in October, if you're up for an upgrade it might be worth considering not sticking with Sprint anymore, just a thought. But let us know if it does end up goofing up, if it doesn't, I'd be interested if you can find out from the tech what he did exactly.

rem_kujawa

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
I'm really surprised that this phone has not been updated to 4.3. This is the main reason*I plan on going to GSM when the N5 comes.

prolongExistence

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm really surprised that this phone has not been updated to 4.3. This is the main reason*I plan on going to GSM when the N5 comes.

4.3? How about an official 4.2.2? I really think that this is Sprint's sales strategy, stop updating the devices so people will be more inclined to upgrade. The more people upgrade, the more they are locked into contracts. Its forced retention.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AC Forums mobile app

rem_kujawa

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
4.3? How about an official 4.2.2? I really think that this is Sprint's sales strategy, stop updating the devices so people will be more inclined to upgrade. The more people upgrade, the more they are locked into contracts. Its forced retention.

That's I said before it should be false advertisement the promised timely updates with this so called forgotten nexus.The GSM version got it almost as fast as the nexus 4.

prolongExistence

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
So it's been about 2 days now, has your phone rebooted anymore?

Of course it has. Did anyone really think that his half a_s "fix" would work??:confused: I went back this morning & told him that he was wrong, he didn't fix it. In the 3 days after his "fix", it rebooted 25 times. He said, "Well in my defense, you can reinstall without loosing any data." This time they didn't even waste my time with their diagnostic crap, they just ordered me a replacement. Bad news is that they said it will take about 3 days to ship it to the store. I hate when policies change & end up screwing the customer. Last time I had to have a device shipped they shipped it directly to my house & I had it the next day. Oh well, at least I'm finally getting a new (to me) phone that should hopefully work.

vincentallen2

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Of course it has. Did anyone really think that his half a_s "fix" would work??:confused: I went back this morning & told him that he was wrong, he didn't fix it. In the 3 days after his "fix", it rebooted 25 times. He said, "Well in my defense, you can reinstall without loosing any data." This time they didn't even waste my time with their diagnostic crap, they just ordered me a replacement. Bad news is that they said it will take about 3 days to ship it to the store. I hate when policies change & end up screwing the customer. Last time I had to have a device shipped they shipped it directly to my house & I had it the next day. Oh well, at least I'm finally getting a new (to me) phone that should hopefully work.

Wow lol, I was just checking in on your situation. My phone does this all the time and I was hoping Sprint would've done something different with you than what they did with me.

At least you have a replacement phone arriving soon. Can you come back to the thread and "review" your "new" device? :)

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

vincentallen2

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site

So how's the new phone?

prolongExistence

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
So how's the new phone?

Approaching 90 hours without a reboot! Two things I noticed though... 1. When I went to install a ROM the bootloader was already unlocked. 2. I think it's a NEW phone, not a refurb like they normally do for TEP replacements.

Attachments

• 1378645202445.jpg
    1378645202445.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 13

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThatDude