Chances Sprint will get update to 4.3?

ryancell

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I know the Galaxy Nexus is an older device now, but what are the chances Sprint will give us 4.3? If chances are 0, then I hope it will be possible to update to 4.3 by rooting or a custom room or whatever. (I have always taken the oem approach with android so far but am familiar with doctor my old webOS devices, so surely I'll learn the android way if I need to).

I mostly just want 4.3 for the hope that they fixed all the battery issues and launcher crashes that seem to randomly happen, and the new camera app would be nice.

I know if we do get it, it wont be for awhile....but I wonder the chances of an official update on an older device like this? Either way I am sure its possible to do it custom like I mentioned, which may be the only choice. Having had this device since Sprints launch day, its held up really good for me and does all I need! Been very pleased minus the battery issues, but I have the extended 3800 battery so I manage :)

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I know the Galaxy Nexus is an older device now, but what are the chances Sprint will give us 4.3? If chances are 0, then I hope it will be possible to update to 4.3 by rooting or a custom room or whatever. (I have always taken the oem approach with android so far but am familiar with doctor my old webOS devices, so surely I'll learn the android way if I need to).

I mostly just want 4.3 for the hope that they fixed all the battery issues and launcher crashes that seem to randomly happen, and the new camera app would be nice.

I know if we do get it, it wont be for awhile....but I wonder the chances of an official update on an older device like this? Either way I am sure its possible to do it custom like I mentioned, which may be the only choice. Having had this device since Sprints launch day, its held up really good for me and does all I need! Been very pleased minus the battery issues, but I have the extended 3800 battery so I manage :)

I think you will. You will be right behind the Nexus 4, so if you hear about them getting it, you will be soon. The thing about it is the leaks have always been in Europe and Asia, who always seem to get them first.

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I think you will. You will be right behind the Nexus 4, so if you hear about them getting it, you will be soon. The thing about it is the leaks have always been in Europe and Asia, who always seem to get them first.

You do realize that this is for the Sprint Galaxy Nexus? We are officially still at 4.2.1, not exactly "right behind" the Nexus 4 in terms of being updated. Google doesn't push to the CDMA Nexus (either the Nexus S 4g, or the Galaxy Nexus LTE).

As far as getting it in the form of a 3rd party rom, the answer is definately a YES. Getting it pushed down from Sprint, It will be a few months after it's released to the Nexus 4, if they even bother to push it at all.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
You do realize that this is for the Sprint Galaxy Nexus? We are officially still at 4.2.1, not exactly "right behind" the Nexus 4 in terms of being updated. Google doesn't push to the CDMA Nexus (either the Nexus S 4g, or the Galaxy Nexus LTE).

As far as getting it in the form of a 3rd party rom, the answer is definately a YES. Getting it pushed down from Sprint, It will be a few months after it's released to the Nexus 4, if they even bother to push it at all.

Yes I fully realized it was for the Sprint Galaxy Nexus. You don't need to be rude.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site

I think he meant that after the nexus 4, the galaxy nexus would be next in the line up for the update before other phones that require carrier approval. The sprint GNex is definitely more likely to see 4.2.2 before the Verizon GNex. Also, while it will take a little while after the release of the update to the N4 for it to be ported, I am certain that developers will be on the job much sooner than you expect.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AC Forums mobile app

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I think he meant that after the nexus 4, the galaxy nexus would be next in the line up for the update before other phones that require carrier approval. The sprint GNex is definitely more likely to see 4.2.2 before the Verizon GNex. Also, while it will take a little while after the release of the update to the N4 for it to be ported, I am certain that developers will be on the job much sooner than you expect.

I understand that. Sprint sees the Galaxy Nexus as any other phone. They control the software.
We're still sitting on 4.2.1
The sprint GNex is definitely more likely to see 4.2.2 before the Verizon GNex
Verizon got 4.2.2 back in March of this year... Samsung Galaxy Nexus Jelly Bean - Android Jelly Bean So we're 100% getting it after Verizon. 4.3 hasn't been put on any Galaxy Nexus (gsm or cdma) as of yet, and it looks unlikely that Sprint will put in the effort to certify it at this point.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I understand that. Sprint sees the Galaxy Nexus as any other phone. They control the software.
We're still sitting on 4.2.1

Verizon got 4.2.2 back in March of this year... Samsung Galaxy Nexus Jelly Bean - Android Jelly Bean So we're 100% getting it after Verizon. 4.3 hasn't been put on any Galaxy Nexus (gsm or cdma) as of yet, and it looks unlikely that Sprint will put in the effort to certify it at this point.

I see, I apologize. I did not know that Verizon had already received it.

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I see, I apologize. I did not know that Verizon had already received it.

Thank you,
Rude was not my intent. If golfdriver97 had posted that in a gsm g-nex forum, I would have whole heartedly agreed with. However, this is Sprint, and the updates are no faster for the g-nex than they are for any other mid to high range android. Sprint still needs to supply updated radio cdma binaries to aosp, or build the "sprint stock" rom off the aosp source, and send that to their users. This takes MONTHS, if they even bother with it at all. We are now 4 months (to the day it seems!) behind Verizon g-nex getting 4.2.2, which should not have needed new radio or proprietary code updates. Since this is in regards to Sprint updating the phone, we'll ignore the fact that the rom developers are on it already. Even though it's a Nexus, it doesn't mean it has to be unlocked and rooted, and there are quite a few Nexus users that don't even know what that is, let alone the many that do, but don't want to mess with things just to get a slight bump in version number.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thank you,
Rude was not my intent. If golfdriver97 had posted that in a gsm g-nex forum, I would have whole heartedly agreed with. However, this is Sprint, and the updates are no faster for the g-nex than they are for any other mid to high range android. Sprint still needs to supply updated radio cdma binaries to aosp, or build the "sprint stock" rom off the aosp source, and send that to their users. This takes MONTHS, if they even bother with it at all. We are now 4 months (to the day it seems!) behind Verizon g-nex getting 4.2.2, which should not have needed new radio or proprietary code updates. Since this is in regards to Sprint updating the phone, we'll ignore the fact that the rom developers are on it already. Even though it's a Nexus, it doesn't mean it has to be unlocked and rooted, and there are quite a few Nexus users that don't even know what that is, let alone the many that do, but don't want to mess with things just to get a slight bump in version number.

Fair enough. I apologize for the accusation. I am also on Sprint with an S3, and stock ROM is only 4.1.

Sent from a SlimROM S3.

prolongExistence

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
I honestly doubt we will see an OEM 4.2.2 let alone a 4.3 from Sprint. I think Sprint's game plan is to stop pushing updates to older devices in order to coax us into getting a new device. If they keep pushing updates to older devices then a big % of their customers wouldn't bother to upgrade their device. That would mean that their contract would runout and they would be free to leave. An older device with older software makes it more likely that you will want to upgrade and thus renew your contract for another 2 years.

To the OP, I also came from WebOS (Pre > Moto Admiral > GNex) where I was always playing with the WOSQI, Dr and all that good stuff. If you want to go custom on your GNex it's pretty simple if you use Wugs Toolkit. I've tried about a half dozen different ROMs now and it just gets easier each time. The key to remember is that it's a Nexus so it's about 99.997% brick-proof!

Here's a good tutorial to get you started. IMO, go with TWRP over CWM for the custom recovery. Just a little more user friendly.
[GUIDE] Rooting, ClockworkMod and Custom ROMs...an A to Z for beginners - xda-developers

Zeinzu

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
It's so easy to unlock the bootloader and root this device. Ever since it came out it's been so easy to update to the latest software, perfectly stable, even if it isn't an "official" update. Never understood why anyone with a Nexus cared if an update was official or not, as long as it's built directly from source.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Dylan Page

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
I honestly doubt we will see an OEM 4.2.2 let alone a 4.3 from Sprint. I think Sprint's game plan is to stop pushing updates to older devices in order to coax us into getting a new device. If they keep pushing updates to older devices then a big % of their customers wouldn't bother to upgrade their device. That would mean that their contract would runout and they would be free to leave. An older device with older software makes it more likely that you will want to upgrade and thus renew your contract for another 2 years.

To the OP, I also came from WebOS (Pre > Moto Admiral > GNex) where I was always playing with the WOSQI, Dr and all that good stuff. If you want to go custom on your GNex it's pretty simple if you use Wugs Toolkit. I've tried about a half dozen different ROMs now and it just gets easier each time. The key to remember is that it's a Nexus so it's about 99.997% brick-proof!

Here's a good tutorial to get you started. IMO, go with TWRP over CWM for the custom recovery. Just a little more user friendly.
[GUIDE] Rooting, ClockworkMod and Custom ROMs...an A to Z for beginners - xda-developers

Sprint not pushing the updates is part of the reason I'm leaving them. That and every time I have service issues they claim to be working on towers. I doubt two yes straight. Anyhow in my eyes sprint is a very lackful service

Posted via Android Central App

Ethan Grimes

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
Thank you,

That's not entirely accurate, Sprint gnex isn't part of AOSP. The way JBQ put it, Sprint gnex had technical issues stopping them from being part of AOSP and Verizon had non-technical issues. Seems Verizon got squared away though as the 4.3 binaries are available on the android developers site which means 4.3 is going through the approval process right now for them. Sprint on the other hand still has "experimental" binaries that were last updated in June so AOSP won't be able to do much for their gnex and Sprint customers will just have to wait on Sprint. JBQ said the binaries couldn't connect to the Sprint network and were having stack crashes but that was a few experimental releases ago. All that said, an enterprising dev could cobble together an "official" 4.3 for Verizon before it's released but anything on Sprint will be an AOSP-based port until it's official. There is a user named sextape on XDA that has a great track record with releasing Sprint updates before they go live, so he'd be one to keep an eye on.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Zeinzu

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
To elaborate further, the Sprint binaries are listed as "experimental" because Sprint refuses to work with AOSP and release the source for them. That's why the Sprint variant can't get official AOSP support. I think Sprint is being greedy and childish in this manner. As a service provider, if you're going to take on and sell a Nexus device, you should with good manner be willing to support the device's purpose. They knew full well what the aim of Nexus devices were a long time ago.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

ryancell

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Still no official word on if its coming oem yet...Seen a few links showing they have it working on sprint with a downloadable update, but seems there are some data issues...I just hope 4.3 brings back battery life & no crashing...I'd be pleased with 4.3 for awhile if so. Any of you gotten 4.3 on yours from the latest methods? and if so hows it working for you on Sprint?

Ethan Grimes

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
Still no official word on if its coming oem yet...Seen a few links showing they have it working on sprint with a downloadable update, but seems there are some data issues...I just hope 4.3 brings back battery life & no crashing...I'd be pleased with 4.3 for awhile if so. Any of you gotten 4.3 on yours from the latest methods? and if so hows it working for you on Sprint?

There's a problem with the ril bridge, it so far can't be fixed without getting the binaries which isn't going to be given to us at this point. A workaround may be able to be found later on but as of right now data switching issues are going to exist on all 4.3 rooms for Sprint Gnex.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Shot_Glances

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
I too, am fed up with the service Sprint offers. Currently, in my area, the reception is terrible and they informed me on more towers coming (mind you this was last year). Additionally, since the service is weak here I have to spend most time on Wi-Fi, so my battery depletes at a faster rate. Nevertheless, this phone is still kick-***

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
"can we say class action"?
Negative there Chief. All of the Sprint documentation stated the "current" is version at the time. Nowhere did they ever promise any updates. You bought it with a certain version, and with certain features. Sprint could have abandoned it at whatever it released with. Makes us unhappy, but nothing that can be litigated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guylenn49