What will you/have you replaced your Galaxy Nexus with?

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I am sure many of you have already replaced your Galaxy Nexus with another phone and then there are others, like me, who are coming up on their 20 month/early upgrade interval on Dec 1st, assuming you got it in April '12.

1 - What have you replaced your Galaxy Nexus with, and how do you like it?
OR
2- What will you be replacing your Galaxy Nexus with in the near future?

On Dec 1st, I am currently planning to get an LG G2 to replace my Nexus.

What about you?

Mav. :cool:

emg75189

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
December 1st is a long time away, so many other phones could be released in between. I want the HTC One, but have to wait till my contract is up in February (leaving sprint). Hopefully the new HTC One 2 or whatever they call it will be out by them.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 4

Ethan Grimes

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
I am sure many of you have already replaced your Galaxy Nexus with another phone and then there are others, like me, who are coming up on their 20 month/early upgrade interval on Dec 1st, assuming you got it in April '12.

1 - What have you replaced your Galaxy Nexus with, and how do you like it?
OR
2- What will you be replacing your Galaxy Nexus with in the near future?

On Dec 1st, I am currently planning to get an LG G2 to replace my Nexus.

What about you?

Leaving Sprint soon, that said, the most popular rumors (backed by what we've historically seen in October from Google) lead us to believe that one (though possibly two) Nexus phones will make their debut along with an Asus made Nexus 10 and Android 5.0. So, going to ditch Sprint, hang out on Ting until we see what actually comes about in October, then pick up one of the new phones and head to T-Mobile.

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
OK. Is there anyone who is not trolling and is not planning on leaving Sprint want to let the rest of us know what phone they got or will get after their Galaxy Nexus? :)

Yes, Dec 1st is a bit in the future, and I reserve the right to change my mind, but at this moment in time, the LG G2 is at the top of my list. Especially being that it will be Tri-Band.
Any new Nexus phone will most likely not be available on Sprint anyway so I have to go with what will be out there for me.

pjkump

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm up for an upgrade on Aug 20th but I think I am going to wait for the Note 3. I really like the stylus and the possibilities it brings to the phone. Also, everyone I know that has a Note 2 says the size is not a problem and you get really used to it.

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm up for an upgrade on Aug 20th but I think I am going to wait for the Note 3. I really like the stylus and the possibilities it brings to the phone. Also, everyone I know that has a Note 2 says the size is not a problem and you get really used to it.

Good choice.
The Note 3 should be announced early September in Berlin.
Also, it will probably be Tri-Band which will be cool.

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
As much as I hate the data speeds around here, call quality is of higher importance. I replaced my Nexus with a used Arrive (I wanted to see why the few people that used WP really liked it), and when the 8xt hit the wonderful pricepoint of "free" I picked one up. I miss some of the customization with the Nexus, but the battery life was killing me, even with the extended battery that Sprint gave us a few months ago. Also having a slightly smaller phone works better for me. I can't ever see myself going to a Note or even the GS3/GS4 sized phones. The nexus 4.7" was borderline "too big" for me personally.

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I replaced my Nexus with a used Arrive (I wanted to see why the few people that used WP really liked it), and when the 8xt hit the wonderful pricepoint of "free" I picked one up.
How are you liking the Windows Phone?

Sent from The Untempered Schism

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
How are you liking the Windows Phone?

Sent from The Untempered Schism

It's considerably better than I expected it to be. It's not without its flaws though, which I won't get into here...
I like to "learn" new things, and just playing with the store display model does not do it for me. I picked up the Arrive dirt cheap on ebay, and expected to give it a 2 week run, then go back to the Nexus. Right after I got it, the 8XT and the Neo were announced, didn't think much of it. Never bothered re-activating the Nexus.

I was planning on getting the HTC One, mainly because it was a little smaller than the GS4, and the main problem I've got with most other phones going back years, is a rear firing mono speaker. After getting used to the completely different interface of WP, I decided that it just worked better for me than Android. Not abandoning the platform though, it works better for me on the tablets that the kids play with.

When the 8XT was dropped to free on a well known retail site (the same one that fulfills orders from HTC's own website), I figured that would be the time to pull the trigger. It had the workings that worked better with my workflow, as well as the HTC BoomSound. I can overlook the "mid range" device specs, and a 480x800 4.3" screen is still sharp enough, especially with the simple look of the WP interface. I notice no difference in video quality between the 4.7 720 display in the Nexus dropping down to this one.

Instrumentals

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I can't replace mine until at least January but it's really a toss up between the Moto X, Note 3 or whatever Nexus they are coming out with in the future.

PJB264

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I replaced my Nexus over a year ago and regretted it ever since. I currently have the S4, but I have since bought a used Nexus that I'm using as we speak. It may not have the great specs of the current flagships and the battery life is atrocious, but I love this phone, and I'll probably get the G2 also but I'm keeping my nexus.

BrianCioffi

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
I, too, got my Nexus the day of release back in April '12. Up until about a month ago, I had no problems. Now it is constantly freezing and runs super slow. I went into Sprint to physically touch and check out new devices and was awfully close to spending too much money for an early upgrade to get into the S4. I calmed down, and walked out, without a purchase. I will wait til Dec. 1st and see what new phones are out with 5.0. I am not leaving Sprint (13 year veteran). Nothing at the moment really jumps out and grabs me like this Nexus did. I want that same feeling this phone gave me last year...the anticipation of a great device. And it was. Still is regardless of the lag.
Basically, I don't know what I will be getting, but if nothing new hits the streets before December 1st (unlikely) I will be sporting the S4. I am really particular to Samsung, although I do like the HTC One and might consider switching to an LG. I love that the Nexus has no hard buttons, which almost NO phone replicates. It makes great use of Nova Launcher. Either way, December 1st cannot get here quick enough. But I certainly will miss my Nexus. I do believe, to tide me over, I will get a Smart Watch. I don't think they are that gay, and actually look pretty cool.

Ethan Grimes

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
I, too, got my Nexus the day of release back in April '12. Up until about a month ago, I had no problems. Now it is constantly freezing and runs super slow. I went into Sprint to physically touch and check out new devices and was awfully close to spending too much money for an early upgrade to get into the S4. I calmed down, and walked out, without a purchase. I will wait til Dec. 1st and see what new phones are out with 5.0. I am not leaving Sprint (13 year veteran). Nothing at the moment really jumps out and grabs me like this Nexus did. I want that same feeling this phone gave me last year...the anticipation of a great device. And it was. Still is regardless of the lag.
Basically, I don't know what I will be getting, but if nothing new hits the streets before December 1st (unlikely) I will be sporting the S4. I am really particular to Samsung, although I do like the HTC One and might consider switching to an LG. I love that the Nexus has no hard buttons, which almost NO phone replicates. It makes great use of Nova Launcher. Either way, December 1st cannot get here quick enough. But I certainly will miss my Nexus. I do believe, to tide me over, I will get a Smart Watch. I don't think they are that gay, and actually look pretty cool.

Don't want to derail the thread but will mention that a factory reset can work wonders on a device that is starting to lag out or run a little slow. When you sign back in after the reset, there is an option to automatically have all your apps reinstalled. Just make sure your contacts/photos and whatnot are backed up if you decide to.

nelschroeder

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I still have my Galaxy Nexus and I really don't feel a need to replace it as yet. I really like it. My dilemma is that when my contract expires in March I am likely going to change providers. I've been with Viaero Wireless in Eastern Colorado for nearly 20 years but I am growing weary of the issues I experience when I travel into other coverage areas. Probably going with Verizon so if Nexus phones are available with them I will likely go with whatever new Nexus phone is available. Otherwise I am interested in looking at the Moto X.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I still have my Galaxy Nexus and I really don't feel a need to replace it as yet. I really like it. My dilemma is that when my contract expires in March I am likely going to change providers. I've been with Viaero Wireless in Eastern Colorado for nearly 20 years but I am growing weary of the issues I experience when I travel into other coverage areas. Probably going with Verizon so if Nexus phones are available with them I will likely go with whatever new Nexus phone is available. Otherwise I am interested in looking at the Moto X.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

If there is decent coverage on a GSM based provider there (AT&T / T-Mobile), I would go that route with regards to getting another Nexus. Get it unlocked, slap the sim card in, and stay up to date with the updates. A huge issue we're looking at right now (at least the Sprint version of the Galaxy Nexus) is that we're "officially" on 4.2.1, with 4.3 out, and 4.4 on the horizon. It doesn't look like Sprint is working with AOSP at all to get the proper files needed to get 4.3 working. Something with the RIL is causing the devs issues with data when trying to use 4.2.x files on 4.3. Basically, unless the devs find some solution to this, or Sprint actually helps out for once, we're going to be stuck at 4.2.x .
So yes, it's a Nexus, but it's seemingly not supported like the unlocked GSM versions.

jparker71

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm waiting to see if Sprint gets the Nexus 5. If it doesn't I'll probably grab the Moto X. Either way, I'm not in a terrible hurry, my GN still runs like a champ.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
I replaced my Gnex with the Note 2 in June. I don't regret it one bit. I still have my Gnex and use it about once a week so it doesn't feel totally neglected. :p

Sent via Note II

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
well with all the leaks, i'm going with the next nexus. The s4gru website leaked the FCC docs showing the next nexus has a pentaband radio. the phone supports all the frequencies that Sprint uses, so if this next fabled nexus comes out on sprint it is my next. Sprint have already said they will have smartphones out later this year which support more than the 1900mhz spectrum of LTE. This phone seems to coincide with that. If you think about it, what carrier has a good relationship with google that operates CDMA?? Sprint is the only carrier that actually supports Google wallet fully, every other carrier hopped on to the isis bandwagon. If not then probably a Moto X. Idk my upgrade is 2 months away, which is smartphone time is 2 major samsung galaxy releases

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton