4.3 update

ryancell

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I can't imagine there are that many of us, but the press release said over the next 10-20 days or whatever...I did the typical google framework clear cache/data with no luck. I'm in Ohio if that matters...Not sure how they push it out. I got mine on launch day, so you'd think earlier sku's would get it first, but apparently not.

For those that got the update...were you on wifi or sprints network? One time it wouldn't let me update when I was on wifi, but may have been a coincidence.

Last edited:

billinthegrill

May 14, 2011
Visit site
I didn't want to wait, so rooted and flashed quickly with no cache wipes ( I wanted my 4g from ringplus). Of course it is running flawlessly on 2? a mb. Data is horrible at the house like always, but the phone is fast and I will try 4g when I am by a tower. If it roams and keeps free, I can highly recommended Nexus on ringplus (especially Dec 12 when the next signup for free happens). I am out $3.11 and in my 3rd month of service.

Posted via Android Central App

ryancell

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I just got mine...clearing out the google framework and some reboots and alternating wifi on and off made it show up. It detected the update when it was on 3g, then I toggled on wifi when it found it & its installing now. Yay. Hope I like it!

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
I can't imagine there are that many of us, but the press release said over the next 10-20 days or whatever...I did the typical google framework clear cache/data with no luck. I'm in Ohio if that matters...Not sure how they push it out. I got mine on launch day, so you'd think earlier sku's would get it first, but apparently not.

For those that got the update...were you on wifi or sprints network? One time it wouldn't let me update when I was on wifi, but may have been a coincidence.

be careful with the "Google Service Framework--->Clear Data/Cache" trick. when i do that it removes my device from the Android Device Manager (i only see "No Active Devices") and then only way i can get it back on is a hard reset - despite trying the alleged "fixes".

also - in the past - whenever i updated the OS to the next major version i would lose "PUSH" Gmail. i could still get Gmails - but i would have to manually refresh for them. the only fix was a hard reset.

PSA: DO NOT clear data for Google Services Framework in hopes of getting OTA faster

http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/1j66dt/psa_do_not_clear_data_for_google_services/

Clearing Google Services Framework data is never a good idea.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2303434

Last edited:

rem_kujawa

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
I got the ota seems to be running smooth. The only issues I've seen is every now and then under settings/about phone/status it shows PRL unknown. Yet you can enter *#*#RTN#*#* and go to veiw and it shows it there. The other minnor thing I've seen is when turning off the phone I see a line flicker about 3/4 of the way up the screen. Both Gnex's I own do it.

ryancell

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Anyonje notice any better battery life? Mine seems about the same, maybe a few % better, but I have a 3800 extended aftermarket battery. When I first got my phone and had the extended battery my phone seemed to last a LONG time, but nowadays even the 3800 battery only lasts me 8-10 hours from 100-0. I only push 1 gmail & 2 mail that are set hourly. I am usually on wifi too.

I am thinking of going back to factory and starting fresh only installing the apps I "really" use. Anyone think doing a factory reset is the way to go? I've been a day 1 purchaser so I figure the updates probably slow the phone down over time and all the content its been saving etc. I have 4.1, 4.2. 4.3 or whatever it started at. Surely it makes it lag over time.

Any insight to a factory restore gaining back battery usage vs an 1-2 year old phone being bogged down?

ryancell

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
As a 2nd update...I think I have ran into the bug that doesnt let your phone auto reconnect to wifi or data dies if you enter/leave a 4g zone...looks to be a 4.3 issue even before the sprint update...Probably an intentional bug to make people have to buy a nexus 5. Its a pretty irritating thing so far after just a few days.

anon(335536)

May 27, 2011
Visit site
As a 2nd update...I think I have ran into the bug that doesnt let your phone auto reconnect to wifi or data dies if you enter/leave a 4g zone...looks to be a 4.3 issue even before the sprint update...Probably an intentional bug to make people have to buy a nexus 5. Its a pretty irritating thing so far after just a few days.

Yes - I have seen the same exact issue. I did not have this prior to the 4.3 update. I may just go back to the previous version - lucky I backed it up. Right now, each time I switch into/out of 4G, I need to go to airplane mode and back to get data connection again.

prolongExistence

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm waiting for a custom 4.3 since I need tethering. Is it reasonable to assume that this is an issue that the custom ROM devs would fix?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AC Forums mobile app

anon(335536)

May 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm waiting for a custom 4.3 since I need tethering. Is it reasonable to assume that this is an issue that the custom ROM devs would fix?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AC Forums mobile app

It depends on where the issue is. If it is with the radio, then probably not. Guess we need to cross our fingers and see.

jimrx7

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
I just installed 4.3 and immediately lost root as expected, I used the Galaxy Nexus Toolkit V11.1.0 to attain root. I just tried using the same toolkit to get root once again but I was not successful. What toolkit is everyone else using after this update.

anon(335536)

May 27, 2011
Visit site

heresy_fnord

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
This morning my phone said it had an update (around 155mb IIRC) and I said to do it, then it booted to a green android with a red ! and it said something about an invalid update. I set it down to go get ready for work and when I got back it was booted back into the OS and it is still at 4.2.1. Anyone else experience that? Is there a manual update somewhere? Normally people create update.zip files but I hadn't seen one yet. The XDA one appears to be only for people who are rooted.

Zeinzu

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
This morning my phone said it had an update (around 155mb IIRC) and I said to do it, then it booted to a green android with a red ! and it said something about an invalid update. I set it down to go get ready for work and when I got back it was booted back into the OS and it is still at 4.2.1. Anyone else experience that? Is there a manual update somewhere? Normally people create update.zip files but I hadn't seen one yet. The XDA one appears to be only for people who are rooted.

Edit: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=20843237

Must be running unchanged/unaltered stock and stock recovery.

If you are I would assume your download was corrupted.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781