Samsung Galaxy Nexus overheats. What to do?

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone,

My GNex constantly overheats if I have it in my purse or a bag. God forbid I put it in a case before dropping it in. It overheats, either draining the battery or causing it to reboot. Since I can't carry my phone in my hand everywhere I go, I'm hoping someone has another, more practical solution. My phone is rooted but I feel like it started doing this more after the 4.2.1 update but didn't get fixed when I rooted to 4.2.2. Also, I have an extended battery - 3800 MHz I think. It used to last forever but now with the overheating, not so much. Also note I've taken the battery out when the phone has gotten hot and the battery itself isn't hot, just the area above the battery compartment, so the top half of the phone. I've yet to figure out where the phone is venting from. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Sent from the Superuser account on my newly flashed Sprint Galaxy Nexus with XenonHD

dragonsamus

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
There has to be an app running non stop and causing it to over heat. I would recommend deleting apps until you find the culprit. Also, something like GSam battery monitor will tell you which app is causing the issue.

Sent from my SM-N900T using AC Forums mobile app

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
I was hoping Outlook was the problem but I don't have it running anymore. That fixed a lot of my wakelocks. I'll download the battery monitor and see if that helps. Drives me crazy how fast my battery drains and how hot the phone gets. Thanks for the recommendation.

Posted via Android Central App

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
There has to be an app running non stop and causing it to over heat. I would recommend deleting apps until you find the culprit. Also, something like GSam battery monitor will tell you which app is causing the issue.

Sent from my SM-N900T using AC Forums mobile app
The number two battery usage slot (after screen) was taken by Android Services which I always took to be normal. However I investigated and found that location services on Google Maps was causing the problem with the overheating AND battery drain. Turned it off in the Goggle Maps setting as it was already off in regular settings. What a difference! My phone is practically freezing now and Android System is way down at the bottom at 4?. Can't wait to get my full day battery life back. Hopefully it will also help with RAM and RAM-related rebooting since the phone won't constantly be trying to cool itself down. I might just love my phone again.

Sent from the Superuser account on my newly flashed Sprint Galaxy Nexus with XenonHD