Car Chargers, proper ones few and far between.

paulusbd

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
What about a charger for the Galaxy tablet?

I suppose different system.

The Galaxy Tablet may use the 1.2Vdc DCP method, meaning that the charger needs to supply 1.2Vdc on D+ and D-, some chargers may do this, but they will be the newer ones and should advertise as "Universal"

paulusbd

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
I did have a chance to test the "i-xt" 2.1amp car charger from Wall Mart and it works under load.
For a 30 minute run with GPS NAV running and the power-hungry Noom app, I got a positive increase of 5%. Granted, this is not an exhaustive test, but it is promising.
I do stress that the SN2 reports as being connected to "AC" when plugged into the 2.1amp port on this charger. Again, another positive sign.

Cheers,
-Plaz

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Paul, so you think it's a good and safe idea for me to buy the qmadix charger?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

hopefulfarm

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site

It says iPhone so I'm guessing same issues as other ICrap compatible chargers. :( they charge, but at the slow rate.

Boy is this frustrating!

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
From reading some reviews on the qmadix unit, they only seem to include the iphone cable, and apparently there is a difference between a USB charging cable and a USB synching cable with the latter not recognizing the charger as an ac source but instead just treating it like it was plugged in to a computer. Question is, will the cables that ship with our phones be recognized as a charging cable or just a USB cable? Confusing stuff.

yankees177

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Found another version of the qmadix.

Qmadix USB Mobile Duo 2.1A Charging Kit - Android Car Chargers - ShopAndroid

This one includes both an iphone and a micro USB cable. I am taking the plunge and ordering this thing. Will report back with my experience with my gs3 and the note 2 later.

Ok so I got my Scosche charger in today. I haven't given it any real testing but using the cables that came with my devices I was able to charge both my galaxy tab 2 7.0 and my Note 2 both on AC charge. Both charged on AC on from the 1a port as well. Good sign but I will test out the Note 2 using GPS when I venture out of the house later.

DEAD SE-RIOUS

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
I had an issue charging my i5 in the car. The the old iphone/ipod charger wouldn't work. I had the 1 from AT&T that would charger my I phone... And and an additional USB port. The i5 would not recognize anything I tried. Until I got the SCOSCHE dual USB charger. 10 watts x2. 2.1a each. It works perfectly, and it's a low profile design. It charges my i5, and my GS3 just fine. I haven't tried it on the N2 yet. I just got the N2. I'll try it later and report back. uploadfromtaptalk1351882831771.jpg

paulusbd

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
From reading some reviews on the qmadix unit, they only seem to include the iphone cable, and apparently there is a difference between a USB charging cable and a USB synching cable with the latter not recognizing the charger as an ac source but instead just treating it like it was plugged in to a computer. Question is, will the cables that ship with our phones be recognized as a charging cable or just a USB cable? Confusing stuff.

Hello Manny,
The issue is not with the cable. The issue is with the charger. USB cables have 4 internal wires. +5Vdc, Ground, D+, and D-.
Normally D+ and D- are used for data transmission only. However, a standard emerged called DCP, in which phone chargers that don't care about data can use the D+ and D- lines to detect compatible devices and ramp up the amperage on the +5Vdc line. Ordinarily, USB standard mandates 500mA current for USB 1 compliant devices.

What Apple does is apply a 2.4Vdc voltage to the data lines so that compatible devices will allow full charging. Because Android phones don't do this, Apple compatible chargers revert to standard USB mode and you get really slow charging.

Most Android phone chargers short the D+ and D- lines. When phones that use this method sense that lines are shorted (Won't happen with a normal PC USB port), the phone allows full charging and views itself as connected to AC. I'm pretty sure the Note 2 uses this method.

There are a few other variations on this, but that's the general principle.

Most Chargers listed as "Universal" have some type of autodetection for this. They can "sense" when an Apple product is attached and then apply the 2.4Vdc. They can also sense when a device that needs the lines shorted, and will short accordingly, to enable full charging.

You could do this buy creating a charging cable with the D+and- lines shorted, but I would be careful. If you forget and use this cable with a PC, you will probably damage your computer. (I've seen people do this.) My thought are to just by the right charger.

I know I've gone over into the techie pool, but this is how this works.

-Plaz

paulusbd

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
I had an issue charging my i5 in the car. The the old iphone/ipod charger wouldn't work. I had the 1 from AT&T that would charger my I phone... And and an additional USB port. The i5 would not recognize anything I tried. Until I got the SCOSCHE dual USB charger. 10 watts x2. 2.1a each. It works perfectly, and it's a low profile design. It charges my i5, and my GS3 just fine. I haven't tried it on the N2 yet. I just got the N2. I'll try it later and report back. View attachment 44439

Based on this, I would say this is a good "Universal" charger. The fact that the charger also works with the tablet seems to indicate that it also uses Samsung's charger detection. Samsung uses 1.2Vdc on some of their devices for D+ and D- to allow full charging.

We should wait to see what "yankees" finds with his testing.

-Plaz

paulusbd

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
For the detailed among you,

The micro USB cable actually has 5 pins, but if you look at most phone provided cables, only 4 pins are used. The 5th pin is a special ident pin. You will also notice the standard USB plug that goes into the charger (or computer) are the 4 pin type. So, 5 pins, only 4 are used.

Cheers,
-Plaz

northward

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I wish that I saw this thread before I ordered two of the car plugs and two of the wall plugs from Monoprice that are mentioned near the beginning of this thread earlier today. :-\

However, I found this at my local Walmart store for $15.88:
Griffin PowerJolt Universal Car Charger for Tablets: Computers : Walmart.com

It appears to work. The GN2 is showing "AC" charging and it's gained 12% charge over the past 30 minutes. It's low profile and lights up gently with a white LED both in the ring around the perimeter and in the USB Jack itself.

Monoprice wouldn't let me cancel the order, so once they arrive I guess that I'll be verifying that they don't work.

Last edited:

yankees177

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Ok so I did some more testing today with surprising results.

First of all the car adapter I purchased was this
Amazon.com: Scosche reVIVE II - Dual USB Car Charger for Samsung Galaxy Tablet (GUSBC3): Electronics

I made the same 30 minute drive today. I had wifi, bluetooth, gps, sync, and screen rotation on. I made sure the only thing I was running was navigation. I went the same route to and from my friends house. Regardless of if I was in the 2.1a slot or the 1a slot I had just about the same increase in battery, 10-11%. I saw no increase with whatever slot I put it in which leads me to believe that the phone has an internal limitation of a 1a charge. I will have to do more testing because the fact that the stock wall charger was 2a was very odd. There could be reasons for this but I am not sure why unless they do this to make the charger more compatible with the larger tablets. I did notice the other day that the wall charger did not charge as fast (actually pretty slow) if I had a lot of apps running in the background which makes sense because as you use more resources the battery depletes faster. This all leads me to believe that the internal restriction of the phone is 1a.

Has anyone else found any similar results?

Last edited:

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
That's kind of disappointing to read. I will get my qmadix charger this week and I will try it on my gs3 and compare it to the 850ma charger I am using currently. But what I am concerned about the most is that the phone won't lose charge while using navigation, in use it frequently and i don't want it draining the battery so I am glad you gained charge while using navigation. My current charger will yield 11% on a 15 minute drive without navigation on, never really paid attention to it when navigation is on.

We will see.

ToddL

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Any more testing/research feedback? I'm hoping to find one that works so I'm ready when it's available through VZW.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Any more testing/research feedback? I'm hoping to find one that works so I'm ready when it's available through VZW.

I did get the second qmadix one I linked to for 29 bucks from the android Central store. Ordered it Thursday was here on Monday. It came with both the iphone cable and the micro USB cable that we need. I am still on my gs3 and it works perfectly with it. It charges rapidly, it keeps up with navigation and charges it while doing so. I played Wild Blood for about 15 minutes and gained 8% battery life during that time.

I will get my note 2 on Sunday and will report back with my experiences next week.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Here is an update on the qmadix charger I linked to earlier. This thing rocks! Love the light on both the two inputs as well as on the cable going into the phone itself. Yesterday was the first day that I fully used the phone so I didn't use the charger much because I wanted to see what my battery life was going to be like (great is the right word here), but I did plug the phone in for just 25 minutes while using navigation. I'm that time, it gained 11%! Considering I was using Navigation at the time, that's a great charging rate. I can only recommend this charger!

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma