Car Chargers, proper ones few and far between.

sfrrr

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Yesterday, I spent five hours driving on highways. I had navigation and traffic on, sometimes silently, sometimes with the voice guidance. I also was listening to my music and, occasionally to the radio, all on my Galaxy s3. I started with 49 percent battery left, and, in less than 45 minutes, the stock battery was up to 100 percent, and stayed there the rest of the trip. I don't consider that slow.

Sent from my GT-I9300

CRSO

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Yesterday, I spent five hours driving on highways. I had navigation and traffic on, sometimes silently, sometimes with the voice guidance. I also was listening to my music and, occasionally to the radio, all on my Galaxy s3. I started with 49 percent battery left, and, in less than 45 minutes, the stock battery was up to 100 percent, and stayed there the rest of the trip. I don't consider that slow.

Sent from my GT-I9300

OK I have a note 2. Stock charger is 2A

brentj

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I have been using my old Palm Pre car charger: Amazon.com: Palm Vehicle Power Charger for Palm Pre and Pixi: Cell Phones & Accessories

I don't know any spec on the amps of this unit, but it is enough to power the Palm Touchstone inductive charging unit in the car, which I understand required more power than many car chargers supply.

It's a very slim, trim charger. In fact, the USB cable that comes with it has a very slim USB plug (not much plastic around the metal plug) in order to insert into the charger. Most non-Palm cords will not fit into the charger unless you file or cut plastic material off around the plug.

I don't have a meter to test it. I'll check to see what happens to the phone charge level if I drive with Nav turned on and report back.

northward

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
The Pre charger was rated at 1A. The TouchPad charger that looked just like it was rated at 2A. I know, I've got both and it's printed right on each.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk 2

brentj

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
The Pre charger was rated at 1A. The TouchPad charger that looked just like it was rated at 2A. I know, I've got both and it's printed right on each.

You're talking about the indoor AC chargers, though, right? I'm talking about the car charger - click the link in my prior post to see what I'm talking about. I don't think they made a car charger for the TouchPad, did they? I have a TouchPad, and I know that the indoor AC charger is a similar cylindrical shape to the indoor Pre charger, but slightly bigger and more power.

I just checked the car charger driving home, and with the Nav app running the whole time, my battery level increased from 53% to 62% over a 35 minute drive. For what that's worth.

johnmcd348

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I ordered a 64gb card for my NOte2 from Amazon and found a dual charger for $13 and figured I'd try it. It's the MediaBridge 3.1(2.1a +1a) 12-24v charger. It says specifically in the provided directions that it is incompatible with the Galaxy Tab series of devices. I'll give it a shot and see if it works with my Note2 and report back later.
Amazon.com: Mediabridge High Output Dual USB Car Charger For iPad and iPhone (Dual Port High Output Design: 1.0 Amp USB for iPhone; 2.1 Amp for iPad or additional iPhone): Cell Phones & Accessories

Edit:

Apparently there's a couple of things out there about modding this particular unit by shorting our a couple of pins on teh board to force it to make the phones see it as an AC charger and it then locks onto the 2.1a and charge.

BW: can someone lead me to a possibly free app that I can download that will show me the actual charge rate on my phone when it is plugged in. That way I can see how my different car chargers are working with my Note2?

Thanks

Mini Update:

Got called into work tonight so I used the plug for the 20 minute drive.

Ran the wire into the 2.1a jack and plugged in the phone. The phone showed it being charged and the display showed the electrical plug next to the word Charging. When I plugged in the phone, it was at about 70%. After about 25-30ish minutes, when I got to work, my phone was reading 88%. I'm thinking it was registering and running with the 2amp charge and not reverting down to 1 or 0.5amp.

Last edited:

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I charge mine in my car dock for my old photon (don't ask but it fits fine ) which is 2a and changes perfectly. Went from 32% to 70% in what seemed to be no time.

Sent from my G-Note 2

johnmcd348

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
2Day update

OK, used it a couple of other times this past 2 days. Later the night/morning of the last update, I plugged it back in on the way home. Took the long way home and added an extra 15 or so minutes to the drive so it was plugged in for about 45-55 minutes. Phone charge showed from 76% up to 99%.

Saturday, used the plug in 2.1a outlet to charge wife's Archos G9 10.1 tablet with good results also.

Today, on my way home, I'm going to run the Google maps or navigation app with the phone and have unit plugged in to see if it keeps up with the charge or if it discharges. Will update after.

johnmcd348

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Seems to work. Ran the navigation app with the phone plugged in and charging. I set the navigation for he and drove around for about 30 minutes in every direction except home so it a lot of re calculations an updates going on to keep the system running. I don't rember now what the actual value was but the charge did continue ro increase during that time. Maybe 5% increase say from 86-91%.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Android Central Forums

johnmcd348

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
OK. Been using the plug referenced in Post #69 and so far it's been running really well and charging while using the phone when using the 2.1a port. I haven't tried it in the 1amp port since I figured it would most likely work well enough with that one standard.

The High output port does seem to charge well without having to modify the device at all. $12 from Amazon. I'm buying 2 more to keep in my other vehicles.

ThinkOnTheEdge

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
This seems to be the best place for Galaxy Note 2 car charger info on the web!

I bought this charger: Amazon.com: Satechi CA-2421STB Car Lighter USB Charger Adapter with Smart Converter for iPad 2 & 3, iPhone 4S & 5, Samsung Galaxy S II & S III, BlackBerry Playbook, HTC Flyer, Android Phones (2.1 AMP): Cell Phones & Accessories
It seemed like a good bet because it comes with an adapter that claims to correct the issue of Android devices charging at the low rate.
(I also wanted a "flush mount" plug, and the others listed here as "sure to work" seemed large.)

However, I find that my Note 2 shows "(AC)" whether I use the adapter or not on this car charger!
It seems confusing that this charger specifically says you need the adapter to make it charge at the fast rate with android devices, but the Note 2 shows "(AC)" with or without the adapter.

FYI: Just to test, I tried plugging my phone into a wall charger that says its maximum output is 500ma, and it does say "(USB)" under the battery settings with a 500ma wall charger!

I have not done any charge time measurements yet.

Fareo

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
Anyone draw a conclusion to the car charger situation? Im on the hunt now too and this thread was the closest I've found to a conclusion? Can anyone confrim a car charger that will charge at the full 2.1?

Disturbed_Angel

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Set Your Location

Based on the included cable and one of the reviews stating rather quick charging with a Note 2, it would seem this one works. Not sure how every one else feels about buying from a VZW store, but I believe it to at least be an option.

Edit: As an aside, I have the wall wart version that they sell, and it works perfect with my note 2, so you can take that for what its worth.

Last edited:

ThinkOnTheEdge

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I think that the charger I purchased, and mentioned in a previous post, is doing the job.

Do you have a specific test you want me to run to confirm? So far I'm just basing my opinion on the presence of the word "(AC)" in the Battery section of Settings.

yankees177

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
How about this for a long term test. The Scosche car charger just crapped out. One of the pieces on the 1a section that orients the USB charger from only entering the correct way fell out and one of the pins got damaged. My overall reviews in the 6month time period that I used it was good. The design was kind of cheap, and it would occasionally pull out of the lighter socket. It always charged well even while using NAV and would charge our tablet "quicker than the wall outlet" so says my fiance. If it hadnt broken I still would be using it today. I plan on going with another one because the design was something to be desired. I really like the fact that this post has kept going for so long. Its funny, in the 6 months since the Note 2 came out, you can plainly see that there have been a crazy amount of 2A car chargers to flood the market. Id like to say that we were the reason! Ill let you folks know how the next one I use and how it works as well!

Ok so I did some more testing today with surprising results.

First of all the car adapter I purchased was this
Amazon.com: Scosche reVIVE II - Dual USB Car Charger for Samsung Galaxy Tablet (GUSBC3): Electronics

I made the same 30 minute drive today. I had wifi, bluetooth, gps, sync, and screen rotation on. I made sure the only thing I was running was navigation. I went the same route to and from my friends house. Regardless of if I was in the 2.1a slot or the 1a slot I had just about the same increase in battery, 10-11%. I saw no increase with whatever slot I put it in which leads me to believe that the phone has an internal limitation of a 1a charge. I will have to do more testing because the fact that the stock wall charger was 2a was very odd. There could be reasons for this but I am not sure why unless they do this to make the charger more compatible with the larger tablets. I did notice the other day that the wall charger did not charge as fast (actually pretty slow) if I had a lot of apps running in the background which makes sense because as you use more resources the battery depletes faster. This all leads me to believe that the internal restriction of the phone is 1a.

Has anyone else found any similar results?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay