Car Chargers, proper ones few and far between.

Rdean61

Apr 12, 2013
Visit site
Q: I have the latest Samsung Galaxy Tab and when I try to charge it through the USB port, there is a red X on the battery. Does this mean that it is not charging?
A: No! It is charging, but the tablet thinks that it is connected to a computer port of a computer, so the tablet charges at slower computer speeds. Some of the newer tablets are configured differently and display this behavior.

These TYLT one look good. They also look like they pass the amperage test. Have any reports on these? Also luvsmobile do you work for them?

- - - Updated - - -

Mine should be here tomorrow...
This seems to be the best place for Galaxy Note 2 car charger info on the web!

I bought this charger: Amazon.com: Satechi CA-2421STB Car Lighter USB Charger Adapter with Smart Converter for iPad 2 & 3, iPhone 4S & 5, Samsung Galaxy S II & S III, BlackBerry Playbook, HTC Flyer, Android Phones (2.1 AMP): Cell Phones & Accessories
It seemed like a good bet because it comes with an adapter that claims to correct the issue of Android devices charging at the low rate.
(I also wanted a "flush mount" plug, and the others listed here as "sure to work" seemed large.)

However, I find that my Note 2 shows "(AC)" whether I use the adapter or not on this car charger!
It seems confusing that this charger specifically says you need the adapter to make it charge at the fast rate with android devices, but the Note 2 shows "(AC)" with or without the adapter.

FYI: Just to test, I tried plugging my phone into a wall charger that says its maximum output is 500ma, and it does say "(USB)" under the battery settings with a 500ma wall charger!

I have not done any charge time measurements yet.

yankees177

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I saw that so I emailed the company. They have a new 4.2A Y that is different than the 2.1A Y that they based that FAQ off of. Their rep told me that the 4.2A Y had that "smart tech" in it that switches power to the correct pins for Android devices/Apple devices to get full charge so I ordered one of those. He didnt guarantee me that it wouldnt work with my tablet just that it should. I just got it today but havent been in my car. As soon as I do I will try my NOTE2 and my Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 and see whats going on. It looks nice i can tell you that!

yankees177

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
OK so I took it out for my first test drive with success. It charged my Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 as a normal AC read. I didnt get a chance to see what it was charging at but I went on an approximately 20min drive and gained almost 10% with no usage of the tab. My guess is that its charging at full capacity. And I was also charging my Note 2 at the same time! I will try it out this weekend using NAV!

cperrry1

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
After some research I purchased the Tylt-y 4.2 amp (dual 2.1 per port) charger from shopandroid.com for 29.95. Short test run tonite for about 30 mins. Streamed Netflix while driving. Starting battery was 94 percent. While streaming I checked battery, increased to 95 percent after several minutes, after 30 mins phone was 100 percent charged with netfilx streaming.

Will test GPS and run other test and update.
Charles

yankees177

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I have been using mine for a couple months now. When charging with 2 power hungry devices at a time it charges more slowly but it always charges while using Navigation or GPS for me. And only charging one at a time its a beast. I would recommend this one for starters.

Duard

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Hi, Vito. Amazon's listing says "NOTE: certain tablets need a special adapter cable to work properly with our device please contact iDealpoint for further information." So, Are you using the included cable or the special adapter?

vito032

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
No I didn't have to use the adapter. I'm using the cord that came with my s2. It seems to be working just fine.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using AC Forums mobile app

johnmcd348

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Go with the MediaBridge unit. I've been using it for the past 6 months and it's worked very well. See Post#69

Today I used it on a 3 hour trip. During that time, I ran the Navigation app and was listening to BeyondPod the entire time. It not only kept the charge, but added the charge. It didn't do it fast, but I had 2 apps running simultaneously. I bought another one for my wife to keep in her vehicle so she could charge her S4 and one of the Tablets she and my son have.

Kevin McAdams

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
Just tried the New Trent Rapideo but apparently came DOA -- failed to charge my Asus ME301T tablet, or even slow battery drain rate. Tablet indicators showed "AC connected" (consistent with Data pins being shorted?) but battery drained at same rate with or without charger. And no LEDs illuminated on charger. Just returned it, and will now try the MediaBridge (ala post 91).
Amazon.com: Mediabridge High Output Dual USB Car Charger For Samsung S3, Galaxy Tab, Nexus (3.1 Amp): Cell Phones & Accessories

Kevin McAdams

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
Just tried the MediaBridge (ala post 91, link below). Again, it failed to charge my Asus ME301T tablet, but it did slow battery drain rate slightly. Tablet indicators showed "AC connected" (consistent with Data pins being shorted?) but battery drain was merely slowed. Called MediaBridge -- they picked right up and were very responsive, but, at the end of the day, they could provide no explanation beyond "they can't guarantee compatibility with every device"). So, it goes back as well, and I'll keep looking.
Amazon.com: Mediabridge High Output Dual USB Car Charger For Samsung S3, Galaxy Tab, Nexus (3.1 Amp): Cell Phones & Accessories

wildwildbil

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
I found this charger that I got with my referbished EVO 2 years ago charged my phone while using both GPS and playing music in Amazon's MP3 Player. I had been using it as a wall charger for both my phone and iPod but after my regular car charger failed miserably at the task and reading this thread I gave it a chance. Glad I did.

scott750

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site

yankees177

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Just tried the MediaBridge (ala post 91, link below). Again, it failed to charge my Asus ME301T tablet, but it did slow battery drain rate slightly. Tablet indicators showed "AC connected" (consistent with Data pins being shorted?) but battery drain was merely slowed. Called MediaBridge -- they picked right up and were very responsive, but, at the end of the day, they could provide no explanation beyond "they can't guarantee compatibility with every device"). So, it goes back as well, and I'll keep looking.

So I still love my TYLT charger (4.2A dual USB charger). There is nothing that I can run on my SGN2 and not gain charge. Its a little $$ but you will have no problems.

- - - Updated - - -

So I still love my TYLT charger (4.2A dual USB charger). There is nothing that I can run on my SGN2 and not gain charge. Its a little $$ but you will have no problems.

Kevin McAdams

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
Finally found two USB car chargers that worked for my Asus ME301T tablet. Both are distributed under the "GTMax" brand name, and both produced up to 2000mA or more. One of the two was bundled with a "travel" wall charger that also produced in the 2000mA range. Total for both orders ~$20 at Amazon, so will keep both for redundancy. Problem solved for me. Links here:
Amazon.com: GTMax USB Car Charger & Travel Charger Power Adapters plus Micro-USB Retractable Cable for Asus MeMO Pad Smart 10 ME301T 10.1 inch Tablet: Cell Phones & Accessories
Amazon.com: GTMax White Rapid Micro-USB Car Charger - 2100mA for Asus MeMO Pad Smart 10 ME301T; Google Nexus 10, Nexus 7 with *4-Color Clip Pen*: Cell Phones & Accessories
hth

pgroves66

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I have the Droid DNA, and was getting the slow charging notification when using a dual USB adapter in my car that I had bought for my iPad 3. I found this charger to work like a charm, model number CCHA-UNIVCARUSB1, from cellphoneshop.net. It's an actual charger with the cable, but it has a built in USB connection to charge another device at the same time. I do not get the slow charge pop up anymore, and the charger works great! Hope this helps!

scott750

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I finally found a car charger that charges my phone over 1 amp.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00B8...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU3006666

Anker 18W / 2.4A + 2.0A (3.6A max) Dual Port USB Car. Smallest Adapter to Provide Simultaneous, Full-Speed Charges to iPads and Smartphones. The corded micro-usb charges Android phones at full - speed 2.0 amps, while the usb plug is for Apple.

And it $10 and free prime shipping!

Screenshot_2013-08-19-12-12-28_zpsbaa006bc.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34