Double tapping home button to open Google now?

htc evo 4g

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Is there a way to change the home button to open Google now/voice search instead of S voice whenever you double tap the home button? Would be great if that was possible.

sent from my Galaxy S3

garyt

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Not that I'm aware of, but if you press on the captive menu button for about a second it should open Google Now. I actually disabled S Voice on the Home Button due it causing some lag (open S Voice, settings and uncheck "Open via the home key"

GT

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Not that I'm aware of, but if you press on the captive menu button for about a second it should open Google Now.
GT

WOW! Thank you! That's two things I learned today about the Note 2, I didn't already discover. Your post saves me a step.

mattvalenz

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Hi, I'm a Sprint Product Ambassador and am here to help. Gary T is correct, Google Now should be launched via longpress on the menu key. We are not aware of any other button press method to launch it except for that.

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Hi, I'm a Sprint Product Ambassador and am here to help. Gary T is correct, Google Now should be launched via longpress on the menu key. We are not aware of any other button press method to launch it except for that.

One other option to get to Google Now is by long pressing the Home button and then pressing the Google search symbol in the middle. Using the long press on the menu key just cuts out one press.

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Sorry if I was not clear, I meant single button press, not launching from recent apps list.

The funny thing is that even if you long press on the menu key, to access Google Now, the keyboard immediately pops up over Google Now so you wind up having to hit the back button to remove the keyboard. In essence, you really don't save a step after all (unless the keyboard can be disabled in this scenario) because you do wind up having to press something twice to fully access Google Now.

It looks like the best one touch option is to assign the Google Search icon to one of the four apps in tray at the bottom of the homescreen. This way it truly is one touch access.

Awake

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
After you long press on the menu button say "Google". Keyboard goes away as well.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Android Central Forums

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
After you long press on the menu button say "Google". Keyboard goes away as well.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Android Central Forums

Thanks oneAwake: The only challenge I had with your suggestion is when I say "Google" the search card is displayed and not the Google Now cards I have set up? To get to the cards I have to hit the back button (twice) since the first tap brings the keyboard back up again.

I was hoping the cards were an automatic pop up, but since I've learned that's not possible, I just started looking for a way to press one button/icon to see the cards quickly. What I've done is add the Google Search icon to the app tray at the bottom. View attachment 46052

brentj

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
It's not completely clear to me whether folks here may be talking about two different things:

Google Now is, to my understanding, the feature that not only provides a search option but also automatically shows cards that provide you with additional information, such as local weather, your appointments for the day, stock market information, your commute time, etc., according to the options you select. Google Now. It can be accessed by long pressing the menu key, or pressing "Google" in the Google widget (the one that is on the home screen on the GN2 out of the box). Unless there is a setting to avoid it that I can't find, the keyboard (or writing tablet - whichever you've selected) always pops up with Google Now, and the keyboard can be closed by pressing the back key, which does not start Google Voice Search, and which leaves the rest of the Google Now cards in view.

Google Voice Search, which it appears the opening post was asking about, can be directly accessed by pressing the microphone icon at the right of the Google widget on the home screen. That will bring up the Google voice search function, without the keyboard and without the rest of the Google Now functions, just pure search. Google Voice Search. Or, from Google Now, either say "Google" or press the microphone icon at the right side of the search field at the top of the page, to start Google Voice Search.

Tonio21

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Is there a way to change the home button to open Google now/voice search instead of S voice whenever you double tap the home button? Would be great if that was possible.

sent from my Galaxy S3
I just did it on my phone not even 20 minutes ago. Better to replace S voice with google voice search so you get right into a voice prompt. For google Now, just long press the menu key.
I used this tutorial: http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-note-2/646487-google-now-s-voice-how-replace-one-other.html

htc evo 4g

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
How do i make use of the HOME > home, and search, menu, back buttons? I tried pressing home + back or home + menu and at the same time and the only thing that opens is the multitask applications screen. I also wanted to change the long press back button to open gallery but it only opens multitask sidebar. Can't seem to get it to work....

Thanks

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2

Tonio21

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
How do i make use of the HOME > home, and search, menu, back buttons? I tried pressing home + back or home + menu and at the same time and the only thing that opens is the multitask applications screen. I also wanted to change the long press back button to open gallery but it only opens multitask sidebar. Can't seem to get it to work....

Thanks

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2

Ok I am confused. What are you trying to do with each button ??

htc evo 4g

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Ok I am confused. What are you trying to do with each button ??
I figured it out. In the app, i saw that you can open apps by a combination of pressing Home key > Search key > app, home key > menu key > app. I didnt understand what that meant at first but i figured it out. You have to press Home then the corresponding button (menu/back) to open the app (after you set it up first). I was trying to have an app open by just long pressing the menu button or the back button BUT i guess that cannot be done from my knowledge. hope that clears it up for you.

thanks

Tonio21

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I figured it out. In the app, i saw that you can open apps by a combination of pressing Home key > Search key > app, home key > menu key > app. I didnt understand what that meant at first but i figured it out. You have to press Home then the corresponding button (menu/back) to open the app (after you set it up first). I was trying to have an app open by just long pressing the menu button or the back button BUT i guess that cannot be done from my knowledge. hope that clears it up for you.

thanks

Ohh ok got ya. Was it the same app from the link above to switch google now in for S voice ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol