How do you 'mark as read' all your sms messages in the messaging app

fas2000

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

I have searched the forums but didnt come across a solution for this issue, so i wanted to post this up and see if anybody else finds this to be a problem and if they have a workaround.

Reading an sms does not always require to go into the messaging app, and clicking into the individual's thread who has sent you the message, you can simply look at the main screen of the messaging app and see the one line message, or even in the the notification screen i believe. But they are not marked as read if you only do that. Even if i clear the notification the notifications start building up when a new person send you an sms message. It will also show you that you have unread messages on the lock screen. The only way i can see the messages being marked as read is if i manually go into each persons message and view them and exit back to the main messaging screen and repeat it for all the persons who have messaged me. It seems to be a pain and while sometimes i can see the importance of this, it would be nice to have a reset or 'mark as read' button.

Is there some easy way to mark the messages as read so that the notifications dont keep popping up? it would be great if it could be done in the notifications window itself, but even if you can do it in the messaging app that would be sufficient.

Or is it that i might have some settings marked incorrectly?

Thanks in advance, and sorry if this is some very simple workaround.
FAS

almath

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
In an app Handcent sms there is this option when you open up the main screen, I didn't see any option like this in stock messaging app.

je9emeja.jpg

fas2000

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi Almath,

o wow, this is exactly what i needed. just that simple mark as read is great.. i also like the other features this app has as compared to the standard messaging app.. thanks alot for your help, as this was really a pet peeve for me.

fas

In an app Handcent sms there is this option when you open up the main screen, I didn't see any option like this in stock messaging app.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/25/je9emeja.jpg

Ritz89

Dec 10, 2014
Visit site
This is GENIUS! The Note 4 just released an update with AT&T, where it will back up all your messages with the AT&T server and they all came back at unread. Thank you! Happy Holidays!

BlessedMom1305

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site
I use Handcent.. They changed the settings and now there is no longer icons that say "Mark all Read" (unless I can't find it?) Any help?

Thank you in advance.

BlessedMom1305

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site
Hi Almath,

o wow, this is exactly what i needed. just that simple mark as read is great.. i also like the other features this app has as compared to the standard messaging app.. thanks alot for your help, as this was really a pet peeve for me.

fas

I use Handcent.. They changed the settings and now there is no longer icons that say "Mark all Read" (unless I can't find it?) Any help?

Thank you in advance.

clintbx

Mar 24, 2017
Visit site
I'm having a similar problem. But for me, even I go to my sms and read the messages, they're still marked as unread messages.

I've searched for options to mark add read (the 3 dots) but can't find it.