Avoid Sprint and Always Take the 14 Day Refund!

BillJr106

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
So Sprints 14 Day Satisfaction Guarantee aka 14 Day Exchange Policy is quite a tricky little SOB. I exchanged a DEFECTIVE Samsung Galaxy Note 2 under the 14 day policy on the 14th day. I was told by the Sprint rep on the phone to go to a store and simply swap it out rather than have them send me a new one online where I bought it. However I received another device with different problems. An so began the worst experience of my life with Sprint.

First I was told they would send me another one, which was shot down immediately under the excuse that I swapped it in the store and Sprint.com is no longer responsible. Of course I found out shortly after that the store is also not responsible since I bought it online originally. Well I later called up to clear up the situation. I was transferred to a rep, and after they reviewed my account I was transferred to TEP Asurion?!! Wait a minute, I dont have insurance, I would never make a bad purchase like that. So I hang up and call back, and thats when I find out Sprint added insurance to my line on their own, for my protection. Gee, thanks but no thanks. I call back and have it removed and begin over again with my situation, and the lady says they will send me a new device since I am within 5 days of owning the phone, and sends me to Sprint Orders over the phone. The Order employee gets on the line, I explain Im just being transferred to get my replacement device. He says I cant get a device because I am out of the 14 day policy. After talking to him I am given to a manager, they tell me I can get a new device at a store, and here is the address and they will give you a new one. I go to the store the next day. The store says we are not a corporate store, you have to go online or call Sprint. I am aggravated, and I call back. Again I am transferred to a rep, then a manager, then to Sprint Orders, where I am told they cannot give me a new device. I explain again that they replaced my device with a defective device, and that I just want a new one, or at this point a refund, whichever is easier. After an hour of arguing with the gentleman he tells me I am stuck with the device I just paid $750 for despite it not working properly. I said I have had enough, so please send me to retentions as I plan to cancel my service immediately. I am transferred to retentions and I proceed to cancel my primary line and have the other 3 prepped for transfer to Verizon. Additionally I would simply file a small claims case which costs only $20 for me to do, and because they have stores in my state I can file it here and they must appear. Finally before completing the act, the rep asks why I am doing this. I explain the situation for what seems like the 20th time ( unknowingly this will not be the last time I explain it ). She apologizes deeply, checks with her manager, and tells me how sorry she is non stop and offers me a new device or a refund. I told her I will gladly take the new device. That is after all, all I wanted. A working Galaxy Note 2. After verifying my mailing address, and confirming my order, she passes me to her manager to ensure that I have been taken care of. I say of course. This all takes place over 2 hours as I sat outside the store that would not help me. I head home, eat dinner and grab some needed rest.

The next day, I feel great about finally having been able to get rid of this dud of a device. I notice a voicemail, and I check it. Oh its the Sprint rep from last night who verified my order. She now says they can not send it, and I need to get it in the store. She calls me back later, and starts calling stores to arrange for me to pick up a new device. I am on hold for 15 minutes, and she hangs up on me. I never hear from her again. I call back and get a new person, and I begin explaining yet again what happened, and this time a rep named Kenny assures me that she did take care of my account, as it shows that I am not in the 14 day exchange policy again, and I should just head to the store and they will swap it out. I head to yet another store this time finally feeling better that this is going to be all over. I hand my device to the employee, explain the story briefly, show him a few of the defects that are easier to demonstrate, and await my device. The first employee is already preparing to swap my device, when another one comes over and asks to see what he is doing. He says I cant get a new device. I ask him to please read the lengthy notes on my account as the previous employee did. He says I cant give you a new device, regardless of what they said on the phone, that he does not have the STOCK for that type of exchange, only for sales. I am furious, and he calls the Sprint back office and puts me on the phone after talking with them. They again tell me I cant get a new device since I am out of the 14 day period. I explain for the 100th time that I was leaving Sprint and retentions had offered the new device to keep my service. They dont care, because that was later rejected the next day by some manager. I tell the rep on the line I guess I will just go back to dropping my lines and filing a lawsuit as that was my previous intentions. He asks me to hold. I talk to the store clerk and he is appalled at their behaviour. 15 minutes later he comes back and transfers me to his manager, she will assist me. She asks me to hold while she reads all of the notes on my account. I am on hold for no less than an additional 20 minutes, on a phone in a Sprint store. Suddently someone finally answers the line. Its a new rep, asking me how he can assist me. He doesnt even know who I am. I once again START ALL OVER, and even the Sprint employee cant believe how they are treating me and he informs me to not give up because it is ridiculous what they are doing. After another 30 minutes, and ANOTHER manager, I am told they will send me a replacement device and since they dont have refurbished devices they will have to send me a new device, but want to charge me $35. I am more than happy to pay $35 at this point. I am later told it is backordered because their warehouse is empty ( something doesnt sound right to me at this point but I continue ). I give my address etc and confirm once again I am getting a brand new device. The next Monday ( this last took place on a Saturday ) I receive confirmation that I missed first pickup of the delivery. Wow! That was fast, so much for backorder!! Excited I check my email and get the tracking number via text message from Sprint. I see that it says they sent me an Advanced Replacement Phone. I dont like the sound of that. I send a message to find out if this is a new phone. Tuesday the device comes, and this time the UPS delivery man leaves everything on the porch, so I am unable to refuse delivery. I open the box, and confirm my fears later with the email from Sprint. This is a device someone returned to the store, and it is guaranteed to only "be in good physical condition". Terrific, a refurb. I try it out and can immediately see it is sluggish. I film it compared to my device ( my device runs good, but has flaws with the S Pen, WIFI, and massive battery drain that even the original device didnt have ) so I can document how crappy this device is. I cannot believe what I have gone through up until now, and I know I will be fighting to get the 15$ they have charged for TEP and the $35 charged for this replacement removed in addition to my lawsuit that I will file Friday or Monday depending on the holidays.

The moral of the story? Take a full refund within the 14 day policy. Take your refund and buy the device from Best Buy using price matching. Their insurance covers everything, and they hand you a new device right out of the box right in the store. Sprint has lost all of my loyalty and I have every intention of leaving them once I settle on a plan with Verizon. I will even be getting the same phones I have now with a few exceptions that they cant provide. On top of all that, dont forget to factor in the reduced coverage I have had for the last few months since Hurricane Sandy hit and they cant seem to fix the towers fast enough, and you will see why I have given up on them....

Sincerely,

William Sheridan aka Ex Sprint Loyalist...

MBM7881

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I never had issues with sprint that way and if I did I'd be leaving sprint myself. Sorry they gave you the run around. That blows!

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Android Central Forums

DEAD SE-RIOUS

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
Sorry to hear about that. I've never experienced any like that with Sprint. However.....BestBuy's black tie insurance ISN'T much better. At least from my experience.

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Sorry you had a bad experience but its not like that all the time. It sucks but true. When ever i had any issues any problems and had to call them over the phone and then needed to go to the store. I ask them to note all this on my account so they can see it at the store. Also I would say make sure its a corporate store you go to because like what happen to you 3rd party stores can't help you.

About the added Insurance they should have told you when you first get the phone. They automatically add it at purchase. When i asked them to make sure they put it on my account that is what they told me.

kg4icg

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
I see where you made the mistake. It is just not insurance, it is also a replacement plan and emergency repair in case something happens to your phone and they could fix it at the store. But since you are reluctant to keep it on your account, you could go thru Samsung for a warranty replacement.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

dr_hfuhuhurr

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I've had similar problems with Sprint over the last year and a half. Sucks having to wait longer for Verizon but I've been very happy since I left Sprint (the 4G is real over there - Still no LTE from Sprint where I live - near NYC).

Slingbox

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
OP Ive been in your shoes many time with Sprint CS & Store reps.
Its a killer f,sure causing much un-needed stress you were smart getting out fast unlike me

I bailed to ATT a couple weeks ago after 7 years of Sprint.
Its a move I should of made years ago but always convinced myself things would get better.....CS , Coverage , Data speeds etc.
Well things got much better after making move f,sure.
ATT corp stores are sharp & their reps are professionals making for great buying experience.
Oh my data speed , With Sprint 300/200kbps some times lower & with AT&T I'm getting some HSPA+ :).

Attachments

• Att hspa+ Va Beach-Redmill Area.png
    Att hspa+ Va Beach-Redmill Area.png
    930.1 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:

Slingbox

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Adding to previous post,
Some may say ,huh you left Sprint unlimited data.
My answer to that- what good is unlimited if it cant be used.
Sprint speeds in my area were sad making for very long buffer & slow browsing experience to the point I used wifi 99% of the time.
Sprint LTE is being deployed in my area should be complete by mid February 2013 so they say.
The problem with that is Sprint saying it.
My area will have many LTE dead spots falling back on creep 3G for years to come until network is truly sure.....I'm thinking 2 years.
With that being the case Sprint GN2 is going to be a radio mess.

Some may say, Your paying more on AT&T.
My answer to that- you pay for what you get.
Better CS & No more creep data speed is worth 20.00 extra a month , I truly enjoy what my smartphone has to offer.

batmanxgr

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
My best friend has a few Sprint horror stories as well. But, if you sign into a two year or just get a NEW phone off contract...YOU SHOULD HAVE INSURANCE. Sprint charges you NOTHING to replace or repair your phone. So yeah it sucks you pay 11 bucks a month. But, sprint will get you a new phone or refurbish depending how old your phone is with little to no hassle. In your case, if you had insurance you would have gotten a new note 2 with no problems.

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
My best friend has a few Sprint horror stories as well. But, if you sign into a two year or just get a NEW phone off contract...YOU SHOULD HAVE INSURANCE. Sprint charges you NOTHING to replace or repair your phone. So yeah it sucks you pay 11 bucks a month. But, sprint will get you a new phone or refurbish depending how old your phone is with little to no hassle. In your case, if you had insurance you would have gotten a new note 2 with no problems.

This has been my experience in the the 12 years I have been with Sprint. I know my experience is not the same as the OP, but when I have problems with my phone (s), Sprint will try through tech support to repair the issue, but if they can't they will send me a replacement. I'm not taking anything away from the OP's situation because I know there were some unique circumstances, but I would encourage you to get the insurance or like was mentioned, be sure to return the device prior to the 14th day trial period.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Android Central Forums

vel7wil

May 17, 2010
Visit site
This has been my experience in the the 12 years I have been with Sprint. I know my experience is not the same as the OP, but when I have problems with my phone (s), Sprint will try through tech support to repair the issue, but if they can't they will send me a replacement. I'm not taking anything away from the OP's situation because I know there were some unique circumstances, but I would encourage you to get the insurance or like was mentioned, be sure to return the device prior to the 14th day trial period.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Android Central Forums

Also been been sprint 10 years plus after being with AT&T for 5 years before the AT&T/Cingular mishap and have never had a problem with Sprint to include getting my Note II. Went to store on a Friday because my phone had just crapped out...decided a good time to upgrade. Wanted a Note but outta stock to purchased another phone that was in stock letting them know I would be back in the morning to meet the incoming shipment of Notes....Came back the next day and exchanged with no problems....

johnmcd348

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Wow, sorry to hear about your issues. I had similar problems in the past but it was many years ago. It sounds like much of it is centered around the whole screwup between CS of Online retail and in store retail. That was where I screwed up years ago with Sprint by getting teh pones online and then going to the store to try to figure things out. That was also when I was talking to people on the phone by the names like Ken, James, Susan, who sounded more like I was talking to someone in Afghanipakistanbul......

I would seriously recommend emailing the President of Sprint with the story you just gave in the OP and I'm pretty certain you're going to get a call from someone. I did that back in September over poor call quality and trying to find out about the lack of support for Windows phone and it initiated an ongoing Tech Service problem that I am still working with Kansas on a regular basis and still get calls from Tech Service and Dan Hesses' office weekly to check on the status of it.
Email them and you might be surprised at what you get done.

luvsmobile

Luvzmobile
Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
Return policies with the carriers from my experience are all the same. Regardless of the time 14 days or 30, you only get a new phone replaced during that period. After that it's a refurb. I'm certainly not saying I agree but that's the way they all are. I think the problem is that when an exception should be made, it isn't. If everything the OP said is true you would think this should have been one of those exceptions. I had a similar experience with Best Buy a few years back with a TV. Only 25 days after I purchasing, the screen stopped working. Of course my mindset was ... hey after spending 2500.00 on it i should get a new one. But no I had to drag it down to the local repair center and have it fixed. At the time I was furious but after the repair it was fine and I'm still using it. We live in a buyer beware era and you have to understand these policies going in. If you don't agree then don't purchase that's the bottom line.

Jenni427

Jul 23, 2015
Visit site
That is not true. It costs $150-200 for your deductible to get a replacement phone on top of the $11 you pay each month for insurance.