Stylus -- does it really work?

GNemes

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Like others, I'm due for an upgrade and am intrigued by the Note2. So went to the local Sprint store and played with the S III and the Note2.

The store had two Note 2's on display. And neither of them seemed to have a working Stylus. The store rep assisted me in trying to use the stylus to make selections, to create a text message, and to work in S Note. We were able to make app selections, but it was tricky and totally unreliable. Neither of us could figure out how to use the stylus to create a text message, make key selections from the displayed keyboard or do any sort of substitute typing in either email or messaging apps.

When playing with S Note, the stylus did "draw" on the screen, but skipped frequently. Selecting the erase tool and then moving over the drawn areas of the screen also skipped much (most!) of the lines. And there seemed to be a "dead" area in the middle of the screen when the stylus wouldn't work at all, either to draw or to erase.

So ... was this an anomaly with these two Notes, or is this typical for SPen usage, which would probably be the biggest reason I'd choose a Note over maybe the III.

Mom2Ninjas

May 25, 2010
Visit site
The dead spot was caused by the security clip on the back of the phone. It was like that on the display units at my store too, but it works fine on my phone.

GNemes

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
The dead spot was caused by the security clip on the back of the phone. It was like that on the display units at my store too, but it works fine on my phone.

Oh, that makes perfect sense! Can I ask how you use the stylus? Can it truly be used as a substitute for typing on the tiny keyboard? Is it accurate enough to actually make choices? Can you really use it when text messaging or writing emails or dialing a number, etc.? Is it faster than typing?

ThePurpleAndroid

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I use my stylus for every thing. I bought a generic one at Walgreens for $5 and it works perfectly on my phone. It's awesome for editing pictures and playing games like Scramble and Draw Something.

?~?~?HTC Evo Design?~?~?

bennyandthesets#AC

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
I still use SwiftKey but with this cold snap I had on gloves and was able to use the Spen to open and type out a text. Where I find the Spen really shines is in an app like Sketchbook where it responds to the pressure you use on the pen, want a thicker line? Press a little harder.

kevincwelch

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Using the stylus is great in cold weather as previously suggested.

I rarely use it, but when I do, it really works well.

Sent via Tapatalk.

Mom2Ninjas

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I'm still on the fence on whether it is faster than typing but it is accurate and fun. Not to mention cool to have the option. I can't imagine you'll regret your purchase.

ThePurpleAndroid

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I find the stylus faster when typing. I use SwiftKey3 keyboard apps, and it seems to make it super faster for me typing. I can imagine it would make typing faster using a Swype keyboard as well.

?~?~?HTC Evo Design?~?~?

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
When thinking about the S-pen you really should consider how many times you need a pen/pencil and piece of paper in a given day.

It's different for everyone, but in my work and personal life I make a lot of quick notes for phone numbers, email addresses, things to remember, and general thoughts and ideas.

At work I take extensive notes and need to organize my notes in folders and sub-folders. So for me the s-pen is an integral part of my experience. Personally, I don't care what features a phone has, if it doesn't have wacom technology to allow me the ability to take notes on the go then it will remain on the shelf.

By the way, I also own the Note 10.1, and used together as a companion devices the phone and tablet allow you to sync your handwritten notes, via wifi direct, between each other.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Android Central Forums

Azaloune

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I love my stylus! My mother is almost deaf. We use my Note II to communicate at home or in public places. I write what I need to in Snote and she reads it then answers. It's very handy.

Sent from Galaxy Note II

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I love my stylus! My mother is almost deaf. We use my Note II to communicate at home or in public places. I write what I need to in Snote and she reads it then answers. It's very handy.

Sent from Galaxy Note II

Wow! Amazing.

That's a really nice use of the technology. It never crossed my mind to use my phone in that manner, but after reading your post I can envision doing the same with my Father in law.

pbdc13

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
At first, I thought that the stylus was more of a gimick. But after trying it out, I find myself Using it more often. It's not perfect, but it seems to be getting better the more I use it. Or shall I say I'm gettingbetter at using it. I wrote this post Using the S-pen.

TrueBlueKew

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
I was out of town this past weekend and attended an unexpectedly good church service Sunday morning in SHV. Anyway, I wanted to make a few notes during the service, but wasn't prepared with my usual wares. They provided a bulletin and ink pen, but the reality is that I have enough "stuff" in my life, and don't desire to obtain/keep up with more, even if it's until I get home to jot my notes down elsewhere.

So... pop out the S pen, problem solved. Very handy.

I type faster than I can write and so Evernote may have been a better choice. I generally don't care about public perception in using my GN2, as far as what people might think of such a large device, either in hand or putting the big honker to my ear for a phone call. However, the service was a time when in my particular situation, and my particular view, I felt it more courteous to write, vs tapping away on my phone. I have found the same to be true for meetings at work. Tapping can project texting or playing (even when not the case), writing with the S pen seems to project differently.

Bottom line, I don't yet use the S pen daily and won't yet say I could never live without it. However, I have found that it is is a great tool to have at your side. It really is. And if you have reasonable penmanship (mine is awful), there are a lot of possibilities for you, both in terms of creativity, and simply as a great tool to have available.

Cheers.

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I was out of town this past weekend and attended an unexpectedly good church service Sunday morning in SHV. Anyway, I wanted to make a few notes during the service, but wasn't prepared with my usual wares. They provided a bulletin and ink pen, but the reality is that I have enough "stuff" in my life, and don't desire to obtain/keep up with more, even if it's until I get home to jot my notes down elsewhere.

So... pop out the S pen, problem solved. Very handy.

I type faster than I can write and so Evernote may have been a better choice. I generally don't care about public perception in using my GN2, as far as what people might think of such a large device, either in hand or putting the big honker to my ear for a phone call. However, the service was a time when in my particular situation, and my particular view, I felt it more courteous to write, vs tapping away on my phone. I have found the same to be true for meetings at work. Tapping can project texting or playing (even when not the case), writing with the S pen seems to project differently.

Bottom line, I don't yet use the S pen daily and won't yet say I could never live without it. However, I have found that it is is a great tool to have at your side. It really is. And if you have reasonable penmanship (mine is awful), there are a lot of possibilities for you, both in terms of creativity, and simply as a great tool to have available.

Cheers.

Great post!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae