From Sprint Galaxy S3 to Sprint Galaxy Note 2

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Hi this is my first post in this forum and am strongly considering the getting myself the Note 2 to play with. This is a question for the folks who have had both the GS3 and the Note 2. How do the two compare in regards to signal, battery life, photos taken, screen quality and just plain enjoyment of the device?

yankeesusa

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
Hi this is my first post in this forum and am strongly considering the getting myself the Note 2 to play with. This is a question for the folks who have had both the GS3 and the Note 2. How do the two compare in regards to signal, battery life, photos taken, screen quality and just plain enjoyment of the device?

Signal is about the same, battery life, the note 2 kills the gs3 in this regard. Only way to get even close is the new extended battery from Samsung. Photos, about the same if your running jelly bean. The note 2 seems a little faster at taking pictures plus you have the stylus to make all kinds of edits to it. The screen is definitely better since they upgraded it. Overall its a bigger, faster and clearer gs3 plus you get a stylus. Only problem you may have is it might be too big for some. If the rumors are true and the Galaxy s4 is going to have everything the note 2 has including stylus minus the big screen it's going to sell like crazy.

Sent from the Beast that is Galaxy Note 2

yankeesusa

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
One more question... Does the N2 have gorilla glass?

It is gorilla glass 2. Although it's gorilla glass it's not 100% scratch resistant. I recommend a screen protector. I got an oleophobic grease resistant screen protector.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
It is gorilla glass 2. Although it's gorilla glass it's not 100% scratch resistant. I recommend a screen protector. I got an oleophobic grease resistant screen protector.

I have the epic and the GS3. Both have gorilla glass. I hate screen protectors with a passion. I am pretty careful and my 3 year old epic is scratch free as is my GS3.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I have the epic and the GS3. Both have gorilla glass. I hate screen protectors with a passion. I am pretty careful and my 3 year old epic is scratch free as is my GS3.

Honestly skunk I wouldn't trust it. I'm m pretty careful my self. Somehow dtill git scuffed

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I went from the GS3 to the Note 2 and haven't had a hint of regret. The GS3 feels tiny now when I see my friends. Once you get used to the size of the Note 2, which didn't take me more than a day, it's a win/win over the GS3. The Note 2 is faster, which is very noticeable in some of the more demanding live wallpapers and games, and it never jitters or lags. I noticed some homescreen to homescreen lag on the GS3, even after the JB update, but have never seen that on the Note 2. I personally don't use the S pen that much, but that's a matter of preference.

I don't like screen protectors either, they take away from the image quality and the feel, and I haven't had one on either my Epic 4G Touch, my GS3 or the Note 2. For the Note 2, I did for the first time since my Evo 3d, get a case. I picked the Seidio Active Case with Holster. To me the phone is too big to put into my jeans, and with the Active Case installed, the problem is multiplied by not only the added size but also by the silicones affinity for lint. The holster is sturdy and doesn't get in the way while driving either one of my cars. I love the kickstand, it comes in handy for watching any type of video content.

The big question for you now is whether you want to get the Note 2 still or wait for the GS4. I don't know if you have any upgrades available or if you buy your phones full price, but with some sort of announcement of the GS4 just a few months away you might just stick with the GS3. I have an upgrade available on April 1, so I am good to go whether I decide to get the GS4 or wait for the (in my opinion) inevitable Note 3. I am pretty sure both phones will have a 5 series Exynos A15 processor with a 600 series Mali GPU and a 1080p display, and if you do use an upgrade to get the Note 2, you will suffer from some buyers remorse a couple of months later.

That said, yankeeusa summed it up nicely when he said that the Note 2 was a GS3 on steroids with a very handy S pen. I am amazed how much my handwriting using the S pen looks to my actual handwriting, it really is a marvelous device.

Good luck!

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I just used my upgrade on the gs3 and for what it's worth, sprint has discontinued the upgrade now program for the time being and has no date on when or if it will be reinstated. Yes, I have thought about waiting for the gs3 it's hard to ignore the spec's. I just don't know if I can wait, considering there is nothing but speculation on release dates.

Last edited:

yankeesusa

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
I just used my upgrade on the gs3 and for what it's worth, sprint has discontinued the upgrade now program for the time being and has no date on when or if it will be reinstated. Yes, I have thought about waiting for the gs3 it's hard to ignore the spec's. I just don't know if I can wait, considering there is nothing but speculation on release dates.

The upgrade now program is still there. It's the premier member program they discontinued. Instead of getting a phone every year it's now every 20 months.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Hey Skunk, I'm also there with you. I currently have the GS3 but really want to get my hands the Note 2. My sister and I both ended up getting the Note 2 for my dad on AT&T for Christmas and every time I go by my parents place, I've been playing with it. Its such a damn sweet device! Also, AT&T's 4G lte speeds are ridiculously good and remind me of how handicapped I am with my GS3 on 3G, in NYC!!!! Shouldn't big cities be priority for Sprint?!?!?! I used my upgrade for my GS3 as well so I have no idea where to start in going about getting this phone. Buying it outright is pretty steep! Probably can't get much for my GS3 since they're practically giving them away everywhere so I would just keep it. So yeah, still thinking of ways to get it nontheless. Let me know if you have any ideas!...lol!

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Hey Skunk, I'm also there with you. I currently have the GS3 but really want to get my hands the Note 2. My sister and I both ended up getting the Note 2 for my dad on AT&T for Christmas and every time I go by my parents place, I've been playing with it. Its such a damn sweet device! Also, AT&T's 4G lte speeds are ridiculously good and remind me of how handicapped I am with my GS3 on 3G, in NYC!!!! Shouldn't big cities be priority for Sprint?!?!?! I used my upgrade for my GS3 as well so I have no idea where to start in going about getting this phone. Buying it outright is pretty steep! Probably can't get much for my GS3 since they're practically giving them away everywhere so I would just keep it. So yeah, still thinking of ways to get it nontheless. Let me know if you have any ideas!...lol!

I have a family share plan with my daughter. I will pay $30 activation fee to turn on the new line. The monthly charge for the extra line is $25 and $10 smart phone penalty. So my bill is $35 more a month and the phone is being bought for the new line price of $299. ;)

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I have a family share plan with my daughter. I will pay $30 activation fee to turn on the new line. The monthly charge for the extra line is $25 and $10 smart phone penalty. So my bill is $35 more a month and the phone is being bought for the new line price of $299. ;)

So I can open up a new line and it would be an extra $35 on top of my current bill?! Hmmm.....

yankeesusa

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
No the upgrade now program was shut down. It is the program that let you pay a little extra to upgrade a few months early.

Upgrade Now Program Discontinued.

Oh yea, I remember that program. I just never used it. But I remember now. The only problem I see with that program was that you needed to get the phone directly from sprint to take advantage of it. But I guess even if you didn't need to it doesn't matter since they nixed it. I got my note 2 on my last premier member upgrade. I'm going to miss it. At least I was able to do it 2 times.

yankeesusa

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site

I only pay $19.99 for my extra lines, plus the $10 premium fee. Although mine is the 5 line family share.

yankeesusa

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
A guy I know bought a note 2 on CL the other day for $275. Maybe check CL out.

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

For a phone that sells for over $500 on eBay and swappa I doubt that the note 2 that sold on cl was legit deal. If it's under $300 it's most likely a bad esn or damaged phone. No way a note 2 sells for the same price as an evo lte or iPhone 4. I would be wary of deals like that. Always check the esn before final purchase of you decide to buy on cl.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to the dark side, skunk.

Just rooted. No ROMS. Works unbelievably well.

Sent via Tapatalk.

My phone will be rooted on first boot. The 2nd boot it will have a custom themed rom... I hate the stock look. LOL... I plan on learning to theme and build my own rom.