New update for the Sprint GN2 - 2/13/2013

kg4icg

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Just got the new update today and noticed a new icon in the notification field. Looks like a football with clock hand inside and 3 antennae sticking out of the top. any clues as to what that is?

That is the keep awake feature on the phone looking for your face.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Wolvan

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Just got the new update today and noticed a new icon in the notification field. Looks like a football with clock hand inside and 3 antennae sticking out of the top. any clues as to what that is?

Thats the Smart Stay feature toggle. Where it uses the camera to see your eyes and tell if you are looking at the screen. Prevents the screen from timing out and shutting off while you are looking at it. Will also cause a little eye icon to show up on the top info bar on the phone. (Use to just flash when it checked for eyes periodically, now it stays on all the time, and flashes bright when it checks. Sorta annoying.)

Overall my battery drain seems to have fixed itself. The first day was really bad, but seems to have sorted it self out and is back to normal. Then today a new thing popped up. All the sudden started getting little pop-up Help notes to explain basic functions of the phone such as scrolling pages side to side or hitting the application button to bring up my list of apps. Stupid stuff. Have had 3-4 of these pop up today. (Got my updated Monday I believe)

yankeesusa

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
just received my update notification...now the question is do I want it?? the increased battery drain is concerning to me.

I've heard that the battery drain may be due to the update that was done to smart stay and smart rotation. I have disabled it and will see if my battery life is better.

Sent from the Beast that is Galaxy Note 2

discdoc

May 21, 2010
Visit site
just received my update notification...now the question is do I want it?? the increased battery drain is concerning to me.

I think you'll be forced to update at some point, but I would hold off as long as possible. The detriments of the update far outweigh the benefits... and it's not just about battery drain. Hopefully, they'll issue a quick fix, and it will be worth updating...

yankeesusa

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
I think you'll be forced to update at some point, but I would hold off as long as possible. The detriments of the update far outweigh the benefits... and it's not just about battery drain. Hopefully, they'll issue a quick fix, and it will be worth updating...

I agree. Only plus from this update is being able to use g wallet. Other than that these are the negatives, force roam is now only for rooted users, Swype is laggy and inconsistent, battery life for alot is less now, annoying smart stay icon which may also be causing problems with battery life and there are others who are reporting other problems.

Sent from the Beast that is Galaxy Note 2

Kalums

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
Thats a little weird because my batt life got better so has the overall respsiveness *shrugs* other than the smart stay icon that yankeesusa (thx) help me fix its working good for me. But I don't plan on rooting until this BEAST gives me a reason to.

hitman26

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Do not update. After the update, my phone was no longer rooted. Before, you update, backup everything using titaium backup in case you have to change your phone back.

discdoc

May 21, 2010
Visit site
One thing I did notice is that before the update the number one battery consumer was the Display, now it's Exchange Services... that could explain the battery drain.

Has anyone tried a factory reset to see if that corrects some of the quirkiness? I'm sure it couldn't hurt, but I really don't want to go through the ordeal unless it helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucharmer