Maps battery drain?

ghostkilla1388

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
I have noticed when I got in to the battery it has maps towards the top, yet I havent used it in a about a week. Has anyone noticed this? Ive restarted my phone and nothing changed. Is this a issue with the 4.1.2 update or have I just never noticed before. Thanks for the help.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2

geekymcfly

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Go into maps/settings/location/ disable report from this device and location reporting

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Yes, and then you get an annoying notification that says "xx minutes to home/work/whatever"

~swyped from a galaxy (note 2) far far away

Onemoa

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
I found that you don't need report from this device to use Google Now. You just need the allow Google to use you're location checked. If you don't have it checked Google Now will tell you that you must turn it on and gives you the option to.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Just noticed that Maps shows up on Mine but its not Using enough battery to Still all masking even worry about it I'M still getting all day battery life out Of it

Onemoa

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Go into maps/settings/location/ disable report from this device and location reporting

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums

This doesn't fix it. I've tried everything. I thought I had it fixed after un installing maps delete data, cache, ect. Reboot phone open maps then reboot again then install maps again.... It fixed it for a day or two.

I've pulled the battery ect. People have done factory resets and it doesn't fix it.

It just sucks because with 4.1.1 it was fine and maps never used 30+% with my phone just sitting there overnight. Ever since 4.1.2 it's been doing it. I've looked for rouge apps. I've done everything I can do. I found out that it's Google Now that is causing this though. But I like Google Now way to much to disable it just for an hour or so more Battery life.

I just don't understand why it was fine with 4.1.1, so it has to be Google Now and map's conflicting some how.

It could be as easy as an update to Google Now. I've gone to the Play Store and changed my reviews abs explained the issue in the review on both maps and Google Now.
More people need to do the same as well as reporting the app and explain the issue in that as well.

Maybe it can be fixed that easy. That's Edgar I'm hoping anyway. I guess we'll just have to see what they do.

Onemoa

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
I've only had my phone off the charger for about 3 and a half hours abs have 2 hours and 25 minutes of screen time on and I'm already at 70% battery.

srvctec

May 29, 2011
Visit site
One other thing to check that was causing this same issue on my phone right after I got it- go into settings-location services and uncheck all three boxes. I had Google location services turned on and it was causing Maps to be a battery hog because it constantly checks to see where you are in location to everything using the maps app. It does this so that if you update Facebook or Twitter, it will show where you are.

If you open an app and it needs any of the location services to function, there will be a popup indicating so. I never turn on ANY of these unless an app requires it, then I just uncheck when finished with the app. Problem solved!

Sent from my Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

geekymcfly

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
This doesn't fix it. I've tried everything. I thought I had it fixed after un installing maps delete data, cache, ect. Reboot phone open maps then reboot again then install maps again.... It fixed it for a day or two.

I've pulled the battery ect. People have done factory resets and it doesn't fix it.

It just sucks because with 4.1.1 it was fine and maps never used 30+% with my phone just sitting there overnight. Ever since 4.1.2 it's been doing it. I've looked for rouge apps. I've done everything I can do. I found out that it's Google Now that is causing this though. But I like Google Now way to much to disable it just for an hour or so more Battery life.

I just don't understand why it was fine with 4.1.1, so it has to be Google Now and map's conflicting some how.

It could be as easy as an update to Google Now. I've gone to the Play Store and changed my reviews abs explained the issue in the review on both maps and Google Now.
More people need to do the same as well as reporting the app and explain the issue in that as well.

Maybe it can be fixed that easy. That's Edgar I'm hoping anyway. I guess we'll just have to see what they do.

i cant explain why you're having such terrible battery life. I have Google Now activated and I have never had an issue with Maps.

Onemoa

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Yeah but Google Now needs the 3rd box checked in order to use it and in order for Google now to work properly. I unchecked the wifi and data but use gps that would be the second box.

Also you need location history checked and detect location on, that's at the very top of the maps settings. I do have report from this device unchecked though.

I've been trying to figure this out since t-mobile put our Note 2's on 4.1.2 and Damn it's really starting to suck. It's the only issue I have with 4.1.2 but it's so draining, for me and my battery alike...

I wish there was a way to fix this. I've read everyone's posts. I've tried it all and still have everything I was told to do in effect. But it's not helping much. The only time it helps is when I restart charge and unplug my Note 2 as soon as the screen turns on saying unplug from charger charging complete. If the screen goes of after that maps acts up. I'm just so sick of this all and I want to enjoy my phone like I was able to on 4.1.1

geekymcfly

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Yeah but Google Now needs the 3rd box checked in order to use it and in order for Google now to work properly. I unchecked the wifi and data but use gps that would be the second box.

Also you need location history checked and detect location on, that's at the very top of the maps settings. I do have report from this device unchecked though.

I've been trying to figure this out since t-mobile put our Note 2's on 4.1.2 and Damn it's really starting to suck. It's the only issue I have with 4.1.2 but it's so draining, for me and my battery alike...

I wish there was a way to fix this. I've read everyone's posts. I've tried it all and still have everything I was told to do in effect. But it's not helping much. The only time it helps is when I restart charge and unplug my Note 2 as soon as the screen turns on saying unplug from charger charging complete. If the screen goes of after that maps acts up. I'm just so sick of this all and I want to enjoy my phone like I was able to on 4.1.1

Btw I don't need Google Now to tell me how far it is from home/work or traffic. So I naturally have anything related to GPS off. Try a factory reset.

TMO GS3 * NEXUS 7

Rockytop00

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Any news on this issue? My girl friend has a sprint Galaxy Note 2. I have ATT with the Galaxy Note 2. My phone is fine. Her phone has like 60% drainage from google maps. I've looked through her phone and her settings are pretty much the same as mine. I'm wondering if this may have to do with Sprint as well?? Any thoughts? Any ideas? It's very irritating. Her phone won't last through the afternoon!

Onemoa

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure. I haven't heard anything. I'm thinking it's something that will need to be fixed from a maps update. One thing they should do is change the options in maps settings so you can turn off caching while on wifi. Right now you can only change it from wifi to wifi and mobile data. I would rather just turn it off and have it happen only when I'm using maps or only when the phone is charging.

I know that's not the main issue causing the battery drain but it is a part of it in some cases.

I'm really disappointed with Google and Samsung right now because this can be fixed and it should be fixed right now. If it is just the Note 2 and something is conflicting with the update that's all the more it should be fixed right away. I would really hate to wait months from now when we get 4.2.2 for this issue to be fixed.

Email, Google and report maps. I've been doing it and the more people doing it the better we have the Chace of this getting fixed sooner then later. I'm so sick of restarting my phone all the time just so maps doesn't drain my battery.

Mark Zagotti

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I am currently on Sprint and looking to upgrade to the SGN II, do I have reason to be concerned or is this s few isolated cases?

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol