Hey folks, I know many folks cherish the products they buy and likely defend a their purchase by any means necessary so I ask you for an honest answer. Pretty much every Android (samsung) phone Ive purchased starts slowing down and lagging over time. The user experience always seems to start out nearly perfect with speed, shifting through apps, etc, however, it seems like once about 7 months pass these phones always start behaving the exact opposite. My GN2 is now a lag, stutter and shutdown fest and I don't know what in the heck causes this. I used to root by phones and install different Roms so I decided not to root this one because I thought that rooting was the problem over time. What is it with these phones? Could it be that compiling of data over time that bogs it down? Anyone else having or has had this experience with you phone?
    05-17-2013 12:32 AM
    It very well could be it is bogging down. Do maintenance on your phone. Backup everything you need to keep.... ie pictures, important info .... and do a hard reset on your phone. It will run like new.

I do this every 6 months before it starts acting up as a routine maintenance.
    05-17-2013 07:24 AM
    If you haven't done so already, go into developers option, turn to on and turn off all animation scaling. I did this and boy is it snappy.

Posted via Android Central App
    srvctec likes this.
    05-17-2013 09:51 AM
    Hey folks, I know many folks cherish the products they buy and likely defend a their purchase by any means necessary so I ask you for an honest answer. Pretty much every Android (samsung) phone Ive purchased starts slowing down and lagging over time. The user experience always seems to start out nearly perfect with speed, shifting through apps, etc, however, it seems like once about 7 months pass these phones always start behaving the exact opposite. My GN2 is now a lag, stutter and shutdown fest and I don't know what in the heck causes this. I used to root by phones and install different Roms so I decided not to root this one because I thought that rooting was the problem over time. What is it with these phones? Could it be that compiling of data over time that bogs it down? Anyone else having or has had this experience with you phone?
    Have you ever cleared the phone's cache? I've done this on a regular basis, usually every week or two on all my Android devices for the last couple of years- can't hurt anything and certainly can help.

My Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 has never slowed down/lagged/shut down in the year I've owned it, using it heavily every single day.

Sent from my Samsung GT 2 7.0 using Tapatalk 2.
    05-18-2013 08:05 AM
    Have you ever cleared the phone's cache? I've done this on a regular basis, usually every week or two on all my Android devices for the last couple of years- can't hurt anything and certainly can help.

My Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 has never slowed down/lagged/shut down in the year I've owned it, using it heavily every single day.
    Hi there srv. I am new here and new to Android devices. You are the first person I've met who has the same droid, Samsung Galaxy tab 2 7.0. Am running version # 4.1.1.--ice cream Sunday or something. Maybe you could
    point me in the right direction? I think my rig is slowing down and would like to know how to clear the cache. It's pretty much standard procedure for other devices.

Finally, does anyone know of a thread here that deals specifically with the Galaxy Tab 2. 7.0? Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place. Cheers to all and thanks!
    05-18-2013 10:11 AM
    I would suggest a factory reset as well. You can use Helium or Samsung Kies to do a backup then do the Factory reset.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    05-18-2013 10:20 AM
    Hi there srv. I am new here and new to Android devices. You are the first person I've met who has the same droid, Samsung Galaxy tab 2 7.0. Am running version # 4.1.1.--ice cream Sunday or something. Maybe you could
    point me in the right direction? I think my rig is slowing down and would like to know how to clear the cache. It's pretty much standard procedure for other devices.

Finally, does anyone know of a thread here that deals specifically with the Galaxy Tab 2. 7.0? Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place. Cheers to all and thanks!
    4.1.1 is actually Jelly Bean, the latest OS version for these tablets. The previous version was Ice Cream Sandwich, I forget the actual numbers.

To delete the cache partition:

1. Turn off phone

2. Hold volume up key and home key

3. Still holding those keys now press and hold power till you see the green android then release all buttons.

4. Use the volume up and down to highlight the option you want and the power button to select it.

Options when in system recovery:

1. reboot system now
    2. apply update from ADB
    3. apply update from external storage
    4. wipe data/factory reset
    5. wipe cache partition
    6. apply update from cache

Choose option #5- this will not delete any data, it just removes left over junk files from the Android OS. I have wiped this cache on my Android phones on a regular basis for the last couple of years. Choosing the incorrect option above, as in #4, will put phone back to factory defaults, so do this at your own risk and/or back everything up first if you're unsure what to do. After the cache is cleared, choose reboot system now and your phone will boot up normally.

celticking and brokenxreality like this.
    05-18-2013 10:31 AM
    If you haven't done so already, go into developers option, turn to on and turn off all animation scaling. I did this and boy is it snappy.

Posted via Android Central App
    That's an EXCELLENT tip- I never knew about this. Both my Note 2 and this tablet are already fast, but changing this seting made them SUPER FAST. Settings-Developer Options (in the case of the Note 2, turn on Developer Options and leave it on after making changes), scroll down to Windows Animation Scale and Transitions Animation Scale and turn them both off. It makes your device seem unbelievably FAST.

Thanks for the tip, evobassfish!

edit:
    Also, turn off Animator Duration Scale, which is right below the other 2 settings. What this does is make the transition when tapping the app drawer go away and when leaving the app drawer going back to a home screen, nearly instant instead of zoom in/out fade in/out. If you change this setting, you must reboot your device to see the difference.

05-18-2013 10:45 AM
    This is my first samsung device. However, I am not new to andriod. my old phone was lag central and this is what i did to fix it.

Step one
    You got an sd card...Use it move as many apps and other documents etc to it. Its not faster but gives plenty of space for installs etc on the memory in the phone. If you are doing a lot of downloading this could be a problem

Step two
    Maintenance. If you can get into the bootloader you may want to clear the cache and/or dalvik cache (warning do fully charged or plugged in) this cleans the internal memory out and gets rid of any junk

Step three
    System restore. Returns it to factory. sure you will lose apps but it will be squeeky clean.

Step four system upgrades
    Sometimes newer software is better sometimes not check the forums

Last step(CAUTION!!!!! NOT RECOMMENDED FOR NON POWER USERS DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!)
    If all else fails it may be time to root the phone. Rooting allows for you to change the processor speed memory usage and other advanced features. Also allows for you to put light weight custom roms. This is what i did on my lag phone and it was passable for a year before i upgraded to the note. I plan on getting 3 years out of this because of rooting. but as I stated above its a do so at your own risk and a last step.
    05-20-2013 11:45 AM
    Not to mention that as of Jan 1 rooting is illegal. We live in a wonderful country, no?
    05-23-2013 12:33 PM
    Not to mention that as of Jan 1 rooting is illegal. We live in a wonderful country, no?
    ?

Sent from my Nexus 4
    05-23-2013 03:14 PM
    No true at all.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Android Central Forums
    badbrad17 likes this.
    05-25-2013 08:37 PM
    Supreme court ordered rooting is legal, but cam void warranty

Unlocking phones to be used on other networks is the one that has become illegal iirc.

~swyped from a galaxy (note 2) far far away
    05-26-2013 02:28 PM
    Time to pack your bags for Canada.

Sent from my Nexus 4
    05-27-2013 11:18 PM
    A factory reset is probably the best recommendation to address r problem. Be sure to backup data and restore only what you really need to. You'll be surprised how well the device will perform.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
    05-28-2013 10:52 PM
    This is a big reason why I root every phone. I just have Titanium backup run a nightly backup at 2 am, then at 4 am it clears the cache for all system and user apps and reboots. Disable or uninstall any bloat you don't want and you should be good. However, as a self confessed flashaholic I tend to flash a new ROM every few weeks as well which generally keeps my phone fresh anyway.
    05-29-2013 01:18 PM