02-22-2014 10:13 AM
240 ... 8910
tools
    In Kansas City and just got the OTA today.
    12-16-2013 10:12 AM
    got it in northern westchester (just north of NYC) on friday the 13th: fitting it's a real disaster for me. spent the weekend trying to correct all the things it messed up.

1) Battery, after extensive tweeking, used to last almost 3 days (on 4.2) (always got a solid two days) in mixed moderate use, after update had trouble making it through 1 day.
    2) acrewed up lock screen (no ripple effect)
    3) changed fonts, avatars, icons look cheap too now no
    4) took the very clean built-in messaging app/function and added a useless, cluttery avatar. now seems to waste screen space and make page format for message text narrower and taller (columns narrower, so more scrolling need)
    5) wifi/4G radios no longer hand off effectively to each other (connection optimization)
    6) GPS --and everything that relied on it-- finicky as hell nearly all the time now (was rock solid on 4.2)
    7) numerous apps and games simply go off into space now or crash
    8) Setting and menus are so very different now the groupings and the choices of settings are on/in different areas or screens, can't find settings i used to use all the time.
    9) they removed one of the power saving options/settingsused to be 4 (all of which i used, now only three)
    8) many, many other problems. will write again when remember

I spent the whole weekend making my phone work so that i didn't want to throw it in the river. It is barely tollerable now after more than 20 hours of focused research and tweaking. I'm angry as hell

on the positive side:

1) some fonts easier to read (though i forget where)
    2) memory management and speed of processing for certain built in functions is MUCH better. A query against "Storage" (now under the "More" heading, instead of "Device" where it belongs) now only takes about 15 seconds to return the color bargraph and breakdown coded by type and size. It used to take upwards of 5-10 minutes (if it ever completed)
    3) on the quick view top of page pulldown, next to the settings icon (top right) they added a separate icon/menu for all the toggles (a subtle but welcome improvement, andt one i have been using from the moment i saw it.

will comment further in a future post. was able to stretch battery life out to more than a day and night again though not yet two business days.
    12-16-2013 08:56 PM
    Just received it on Sunday. Live in Upstate NY.

Mostly the update is issue free though it's a mixed bag of improved and degraded UI. Colors are better, but calendar notifications now display in battery-gulping white instead of sipping black.

Only significant issue I seem to be having with the update is that now my alarms don't snooze. Well, they TRY to snooze and they'll even set the snooze but somehow before the time, the alarm dissolves into thin air (disappears). Maximum times I've been able to snooze an alarm is twice before the snooze time disappears into oblivion. This happens with both location-based and non-location-based alarms, even though I have the alarm set to snooze for the maximum of 10 times. Happens on both pre-existing and newly created alarms...even after restarting the phone.

UPDATE: After contacting Sprint, they suggested a soft reset powering down the device and removing the battery for 30 seconds. After that process completed, the alarm issue was resolved!
    12-17-2013 07:07 AM
    It's been over 24 hours since my phone got its update and so far it's been ok. LOTS of apps are updating, including lots of samsung apps like the PEN.up app, the samsung link app, samsung print, sensorly, google wallet, google play games, google +, maps, kindle app, dolphin broser, HP print service plug in. Lots and lots of apps needing updates.

Things do seem to be a bit sluggish. Waking it up seems sluggish. Not sure if that's settings that i had formerly turned off now being turned on. I have to play with it some more. I don't mind the new font or icons at the top. Settings page now looks more like my friend's phones (lol). Guess I have to play some more.
    12-17-2013 10:55 AM
    It's been over 24 hours since my phone got its update and so far it's been ok. LOTS of apps are updating, including lots of samsung apps like the PEN.up app, the samsung link app, samsung print, sensorly, google wallet, google play games, google +, maps, kindle app, dolphin broser, HP print service plug in. Lots and lots of apps needing updates.

Things do seem to be a bit sluggish. Waking it up seems sluggish. Not sure if that's settings that i had formerly turned off now being turned on. I have to play with it some more. I don't mind the new font or icons at the top. Settings page now looks more like my friend's phones (lol). Guess I have to play some more.
    If you're waking it up from the home button... It's svoice causing your problem. Double tap home screen setting.
    12-17-2013 12:06 PM
    Mmm no I usually go for the power button, but I will check that.
    12-17-2013 02:51 PM
    SO what happened to popup browser? I can;t find it after the update?
    12-18-2013 10:54 AM
    SO what happened to popup browser? I can;t find it after the update?
    They took it out for the update, but you can get it and it's better than before the update. You can get it here: [APP][MOD][JB] Resizable! Popup Browser from Note II (Root not needed) - xda-developers
    12-18-2013 02:24 PM
    I got the update in Oklahoma...
    12-18-2013 06:59 PM
    I'm in upstate NY using Ting (Sprint). The update has been a nightmare. Phone is freezing constantly. Swipe to text has become a joke, and battery life sucks compared to the past. Every forum I see addresses battery life by giving suggestions to improve battery life. That's lame. It worked great one day, the next day it's sucking it down. That's not about my "practices." That's about a horrible update that I'd avoid if I could. Too late.
    12-18-2013 11:51 PM
    Just received it on Sunday. Live in Upstate NY.

Mostly the update is issue free though it's a mixed bag of improved and degraded UI. Colors are better, but calendar notifications now display in battery-gulping white instead of sipping black.

Only significant issue I seem to be having with the update is that now my alarms don't snooze. Well, they TRY to snooze and they'll even set the snooze but somehow before the time, the alarm dissolves into thin air (disappears). Maximum times I've been able to snooze an alarm is twice before the snooze time disappears into oblivion. This happens with both location-based and non-location-based alarms, even though I have the alarm set to snooze for the maximum of 10 times. Happens on both pre-existing and newly created alarms...even after restarting the phone.

UPDATE: After contacting Sprint, they suggested a soft reset powering down the device and removing the battery for 30 seconds. After that process completed, the alarm issue was resolved!
    OOPS! Spoke too soon. My alarm issue is back. Alarm snooze performance it "intermittent." Sometimes it will work (snoozed an alarm 10 times yesterday afternoon), other times not (wouldn't successfully snooze even once this morning). That's really bad. Of all the things I need to be able to rely on, the Alarm clock (which seems like a pretty basic function to me) should work without fail. ::SIGH:: It's always something...
    Detailed Problem Description: After snoozing the alarm, I check to confirm that the new alarm time that displays on the lock screen is correctly set, yet at some random point before the snooze interval expires (the new, snoozed alarm time arrives) the alarm gets cleared. I turn the device on and the next alarm time is set for the next day. This happens for both location-specific alarms and non-location-based alarms. Even after a restart. Even after a soft reset. Even after clearing ALL the alarms and recreating them. Even if I hold my breath while hopping on one foot when I set the alarm.
    12-19-2013 07:43 AM
    I've had the update for about 2 week nothing but problems! Hard reset twice just get the phone to stop freezing up. Now wifi issues, lag, home button not responding, sprint stated that it's out of there hands. But when it does work properly the small subtle changes they've made to the screen and menus and so forth are very nice and I like it and I don't want to have to roll the phone back to the previous Android but we'll see what happens.

Posted via Android Central App on my Note 2!
    Same here. Ive had the screen slowness/lag since the update as well. Home button slow to turn screen on and the music constantly skips with the stock music player. I did a factory reset and the music still skips. This is infuriating since this update made my most used feature of the phone annoying with the skipping. Ive been telling others not to update their phones.

I really hope they release something to improve this. The phone was perfect before, now its no better than my old HTC. Not happy.
    12-20-2013 11:17 AM
    L900VPUBMK4 on my phone from OTA
    L900VPAMK4 on sprint website. Is there a difference?
    ...ever find an answer to your question?
    01-05-2014 10:00 PM
    I have 4.3 and I'm in Nebraska.
    02-08-2014 10:22 AM
    I'm Not that skilled with android BUT what HAS been wiped out is the ability to High speed tether through the uSB port and Foxfi doesn't work either . I have to tether through Bluetooth which is MUCH slower than the USB port. This is NOW a KNOWN issue after the 4.3 update so Buyer BEWARE! What the carriers are doing is what is good for THEM!! They offer high speed data plans and then limit the way you can use them. The Carriers have bought the politicians and have made laws making rooting a crime! From what I understand the program they snuck in with the update is called KNOX and it prevents you from rooting YOUR PHONE! Basically they leave you driving around in low gear while telling you that you have a high performance vehicle!!-- Bohanna
    02-22-2014 10:13 AM
240 ... 8910