OTA update with a rooted NON custom rom?

hdtvjeff

May 29, 2010
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I rooted my Sprint Samsung Galaxy Note 2 a few months back with ODIN I believe. I have had superuser access and can wirelessly tether, increase volume, remove camera click etc.... Love it, all this on Android 4.1. I never flashed any custom rom, just rooted.

Now 4.3 is being pushed to my phone, is it safe to install it? what happen if I do, do I lose root, brick the phone etc? Or, does everything stay the same but now I have 4.3 and not 4.1

As a backup I have a Sprint Note 3 not even opened just in case things go wrong. I know volume is low on Note 3 so in advance any hacks for note 3?

But for now, focus s on the OTA for Sprint Galaxy note 2 and any adverse side effects of accepting the OTA

Thanks,

Jeff

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Volume and shutter should go back to how it was on stock pre-root.

The 4.3 update is supposed to make it more difficult to root. XDA forums should have more info.

Posted via Android Central App

hdtvjeff

May 29, 2010
Visit site
Thank you, but this is where my skillset diminishes, I thought since I did not flash to a new custom rom, that I still had "stock" just rooted.

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
You are on stock if you haven't flashed a custom ROM. You will lose whatever changes you made. And 4.3 has different security permissions.

hdtvjeff

May 29, 2010
Visit site
So since I did flash to a new custom rom, does that mean my phone is rooted but still with stock? So if I accept, I lose changes and become unrooted even though I am still with stock?
Thanks, will check xda too

hdtvjeff

May 29, 2010
Visit site
Thank you, guess I will keep it as version 4.1 and use my note 3 as a separate line.

Can I prevent note 2 from pushing that update to me so I do not install by accident?

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Knox (security software) may prevent root.

The FOTAkill. apk file should remove update notifications. XDA has instructions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol