Kanrocksas launch theory

turtle3#AC

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
I haven't seen this posted yet, but given the rumors of a late July or early August Samsung WiTHIN launch, I thought this event is a pretty plausible theory for when the phone will be announced and/or available.

Kanrocksas is the first concert of it's kind in Kansas and touted to be a massive two-day event this year. Check out the pic and surprise surprise, Samsung and Sprint are the headline sponsors...coincidence? Sprint loves their "firsts", and they may just be the first U.S. carrier with the GS2.

Thoughts?

Rolo Tomasee

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
I am with Sprint and I hope it is getting ready for launch. I am tired of watching every video of this fantastic phone. I am so ready to dump my BlackBerry and get this phone in my hands. It will be my first Android device.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

They might announce a launch date during the concert, but given the Motorola Photon is launching at the end of July I doubt we'll see the Within before the end of August. Someone floated a date of early September in another thread based on the slightly-over-a-month rate of top-tier releases on Sprint so far this year. If I were a gambler, that's where my money would go.

Also, if I recall, both T-Mobile and AT&T got their versions of the original Galaxy S before Verizon and Sprint did. So, while the August arrival date in the US may very well be true, it may only be for one or two carriers.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Also, if I recall, both T-Mobile and AT&T got their versions of the original Galaxy S before Verizon and Sprint did. So, while the August arrival date in the US may very well be true, it may only be for one or two carriers.

Yup, AT&T and T-Mobile released theirs in July, Sprint in August and Verizon in September. I guess AT&T and T-Mobile getting it earlier makes sense since they use GSM, although I'm not sure how much that really matters.

I'd probably put my money on an early September release for Sprint too. Labor Day weekend maybe? :p

kpazzo6

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I hope so....I'm tired of waiting since my Touch Pro 2 sucks but I dont want to get any other phone except the BIG talked about Samsung Galaxy S II

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
So does anyone live in or around Kansas that might go to this? If we haven't heard anything from Sprint by Friday it may be worth going to this if only to stop by the Samsung/Sprint booth and question everyone about the Galaxy SII.

If I had a bunch of disposable income and didn't have a life I have to attend to, I would probably fly out there and spend all day at the booth bugging people until they told me something or kicked me out. ;)

Slingbox

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
I haven't seen this posted yet, but given the rumors of a late July or early August Samsung WiTHIN launch, I thought this event is a pretty plausible theory for when the phone will be announced and/or available.

Kanrocksas is the first concert of it's kind in Kansas and touted to be a massive two-day event this year. Check out the pic and surprise surprise, Samsung and Sprint are the headline sponsors...coincidence? Sprint loves their "firsts", and they may just be the first U.S. carrier with the GS2.

Thoughts?

I think your right on for announcement.
There will be a fat Samsung booth sporting goodies one of them being GS2 with launch date
Aug 31st.
JK Shin & Sprint smiles

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

Slingbox

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Seeing how Epic got updates slow little to none.....
hmm this device makes me a little nervous especially now with its name.

pmjohnson99

Dec 5, 2008
Visit site
Seeing how Epic got updates slow little to none.....
hmm this device makes me a little nervous especially now with its name.

I know updates are important, but we all know Sprint's really good about fixing new phones just not updating them.

There isn't a lot of functionality you are going to miss when Gingerbread goes to Ice Cream Sandwich. In fact, I can't think of something you CAN'T do in GB that you need to do on a phone. So chances are if you really want to update to ICS then you probably are one who would know how to update a ROM manually. And with this phone being so popular custom ROMS are going to be beating down your door.

So I wouldn't be too concerned with updates. This thing will work out of the box pretty good (knock wood) and I have a feeling the Sammy and Sprint will be sure to update the OS when it's absolutely necessary and useful. Companies actually learn from mistakes when it can affect the bottom line. Sammy want's this thing to dominate the iPhone, mass failure ain't going to be an option.

Reactions: Slingbox

trentlythp

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Anyone going to this? I am skeptical that they would annouce it here but as Martin Luther King said "I have a dream!"

Obviously not in the same context though.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Well.....so much for this theory.

Yeah my hopes weren't all that high about some kind of announcement at the event. Although I thought there could be a decent chance that they'd have one at the booth to show off that someone might have been able to catch with a blurrycam shot. No such luck.

I'd expect we'll see an announcement from Sprint this week or next, assuming a release in the first week of September.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante