Now that the Photon release is official for July 31 (28th for premier)...

Does that pretty much seal the deal that there is no way the SGS2 is going to be a July release?

http://www.androidcentral.com/sprint...1-199-contract
    07-13-2011 04:33 PM
    Now that the Photon release is official for July 31 (28th for premier)...

Does that pretty much seal the deal that there is no way the SGS2 is going to be a July release?

http://www.androidcentral.com/sprint...1-199-contract
    I'd say the deal is sealed with this announcement. Still no FCC stamp on Sprint's GS2, so ...

I have my sights set on mid-late August now, with early-mid September being within reason. Sad really. Well, at least it puts my wife's iPhone upgrade closer to mine .. if I can wait that long. My 2 yr old Pre is getting .... old.
    07-13-2011 04:42 PM
    It means that if i don't get an official launch date by the 31 I'm 99% sure I'll go with the photon
    07-13-2011 04:51 PM
    #tiredofwaiting
    07-13-2011 04:51 PM
    It means that if i don't get an official launch date by the 31 I'm 99% sure I'll go with the photon
    Puts me in a bad spot. I got the EVO3D thinking (hoping) that I could try it out for 30 days and if I still wanted the SGS2 I could just go ahead and return it.

Now I will be past my 30 days. So I either have to keep the EVO3D and sell it on Ebay then pay full price for the SGS2. Or I have to return in and go buy a beater phone to hold me over until the SGS2 comes out...if it ever does!

Wish they would at least give us a hint.
    07-13-2011 05:50 PM
    I think the Photon's release will just hurt the S2 even more now that people are going to be tired of waiting. Now Samsung will get the leftovers or hardcore supporters who already had to pass up the EVO 3D and Photon...

BTW
    What kind of rep does Moto have on their cameras? I personally got the Epic over the EVO earlier because I wanted a good camera...
    07-13-2011 05:59 PM
    Definitely not happening in July:

http://www.androidcentral.com/latest...ve-all-details

It's not listed. I didn't want the Moto, but my Evo is giving me the flux right now. If they would just give a date, I may be compelled to hold out a little longer ...
    07-13-2011 08:24 PM
    I have said right from the beginning, Evo end of June, Photon end of July, and GS2 end of August. I'm using a beast of a Nexus S so I can wait.
    07-13-2011 09:35 PM
    No question it's going to push the S II to at LEAST mid Sept.- IF then. Figure Sprint will want to lock in the Photon people who were early adopters within the first couple of weeks of release. Sprint may be playing this "dumb as a fox". They know that whenever they release the S II it will be a big time seller-that's a given. Since we are such an impatient bunch, could be Sprint figures we'll "pull the trigger" on the Photon or 3D out of frustration the longer they hold off on the S II. IMO a pretty smooth move as the 3D doesn't appear to be drawing the crowds like the original Evo 4G did. While the Photon is a beast hardware wise, there certainly is ZERO love for Motoblur or whatever they chose to call it. Makes (disappointing) sense (no pun intended) to me any way.
    07-14-2011 09:06 PM
    I'm on an EVO 4G right now, and it's been a great phone. However, it is renewal time and the phone bug has bitten me hard, so I've got to upgrade. lol

My EVO 4G signal has gotten much weaker since the last couple of updates, and such is the case of the other two EVO's in my household. So I've ruled out the 3D at this point. I'm split between the Moto Photon and the Sammy GS2. But I'm with the impatient. With no release date in sight, I don't know that I'll wait beyond the Moto. After all, that one is only two weeks away!
    07-14-2011 09:09 PM
    Puts me in a bad spot. I got the EVO3D thinking (hoping) that I could try it out for 30 days and if I still wanted the SGS2 I could just go ahead and return it.

Now I will be past my 30 days. So I either have to keep the EVO3D and sell it on Ebay then pay full price for the SGS2. Or I have to return in and go buy a beater phone to hold me over until the SGS2 comes out...if it ever does!

Wish they would at least give us a hint.
    ahem...the beater phone you get after returning the evo3d can be the Photon. then just return that within 30 days. I don't think sprint will flag you for doing that.
    07-15-2011 01:14 AM
    ahem...the beater phone you get after returning the evo3d can be the Photon. then just return that within 30 days. I don't think sprint will flag you for doing that.
    Pretty sure you get 1 return, but I returned EVO3D and went back to my OG EVO, Im hoping if I get another phone I will have another 30days??? Not sure how it works
    07-15-2011 03:17 PM
    yea, I don't think I would want to risk that. I want the SGS2 to be my ultimate phone...being stuck with the Photon would def. hurt. Personally I'd rather have the EVO3D since I've been an Evo user since launch day last year and definitely like Sense.
    07-15-2011 09:47 PM
    I think you only get one return. on a upgrade that is. Way back when the Instinct came out i got 2 of them but my wife didnt like the touch screen. so when i took it back they told me then that she could change it but only once so what ever phone she got she would have to keep. If you go that route and the GSII comes out b4 the 30 days are up I think if you call Sprint up directly (customer service) they can put it on your account so now the reps at the store would have to take it back and exchange it for you...
    07-15-2011 10:51 PM
    I think you only get one return. on a upgrade that is. Way back when the Instinct came out i got 2 of them but my wife didnt like the touch screen. so when i took it back they told me then that she could change it but only once so what ever phone she got she would have to keep. If you go that route and the GSII comes out b4 the 30 days are up I think if you call Sprint up directly (customer service) they can put it on your account so now the reps at the store would have to take it back and exchange it for you...
    How many returns will Best Buy take? I was planning on trying out the Evo 3D, the Nexus Prime, and the Within (Upgrade is in December).
    07-16-2011 02:37 AM
    How many returns will Best Buy take? I was planning on trying out the Evo 3D, the Nexus Prime, and the Within (Upgrade is in December).
    I have no undying love for BB but that sounds sleezy. These places are stores, not phone rent-a-centers.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    Shhhhhh and johnner1999 like this.
    07-16-2011 09:44 AM
    So, take this for what it is worth. I was in Best Buy this afternoon checking out the Photon when I asked what he had heard about the GS2. He checked his computer and said they don't have an official date, but they had been given a date of September 4th for when they would be receiving more information. He also said with that, that it would be extremely unlikely to see the phone before then. I have no idea if this guy was blowin' smoke and for all of our sakes, I hope he was. It would be very bad news indeed for those of us expecting an August release.
    What do you guys think? Does someone in his position really have access to that type of information, especially this early?
    07-31-2011 06:01 PM
    Sprint has to delay until last months latest and greatest phone is past the 30-day point. Release the best one first and none of the others will sell. Look at the Timeline:
    • May Nexus S 4G
    • June EVO 3D
    • July Photon
    • August (skip because Photon was 7/29)
    • Sept Samsung Galaxy S II

That way you have the hook set on the first one (past 30 days) before the next is out.

Also, this is giving Sprint month after month of hit phones.

I don't know anything in the pipeline that can top the Galaxy S II until the Galaxy S III is announced at CES this winter.
    08-01-2011 02:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD