07-29-2011 06:27 PM
70 123
tools
    NFC?
    07-27-2011 10:44 AM
    NFC?
    It stands for Near-Field Communication and is a method of communicating between two device. Here's a recent article that explains it more throughly

Get Ready for Mobile Payments
    07-27-2011 10:50 AM
    Sorry should have made this clear. I know what NFC means and what it does and how it works. I just have not seen anyone clarify if it is mentioned in the FCC doc. But I am looking at that now. Still not seeing it but I may have and not known it.
    07-27-2011 10:53 AM
    Sorry should have made this clear. I know what NFC means and what it does and how it works. I just have not seen anyone clarify if it is mentioned in the FCC doc. But I am looking at that now. Still not seeing it but I may have and not known it.
    I didn't see it either. I think we would have seen it on the key features document but it wasn't listed.
    07-27-2011 11:09 AM
    I am trying to find another phone that has NFC to look at those documents to see if it is listed and how it is listed. Basically something to compare it to.
    07-27-2011 11:11 AM
    If size matters....
    Evo: 4.8 x 2.6 x 0.5
    Original GS2 (euro version): 4.93 x 2.6 x 0.33
    Sprint GS2 appr (from FCC): 5.12 x 2.72 x ?? (sprint may increase thickness as well): most likely 4.5" screen

I so wanted this phone with euro specs (size) but as usual Sprint came with their own flavor making it bigger. I will pass.

Googling continues for next phone
    07-27-2011 11:13 AM
    I am trying to find another phone that has NFC to look at those documents to see if it is listed and how it is listed. Basically something to compare it to.
    Heres the Key Feature letter for the Nexus S 4G where NFC is listed

https://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/eas/GetApp...tml?id=1445681

If you can't access the letter through the link itself here's the FCC ID Value you can enter on the FCC site...
    FCC ID value: A3LSPHD720
    07-27-2011 11:14 AM
    With all the information we have at this point, it appears that Sprint's variant will be Galaxy SII guts inside an "Infuse-like" form factor.

I don't see why a few extra millimeters on the height an width, which could translate into an extra 0.2 inches on the screen would turn people away, but to each his own.
    graffix31 likes this.
    07-27-2011 11:17 AM
    With all the information we have at this point, it appears that Sprint's variant will be Galaxy SII guts inside an "Infuse-like" form factor.

I don't see why a few extra millimeters on the height an width, which could translate into an extra 0.2 inches on the screen would turn people away, but to each his own.
    I wonder if it will include the same camera as the Infuse. A lot of folks consider the Infuse to have one of the best phone cameras available.
    07-27-2011 11:19 AM
    May just be that the body needed to be bigger to fit Sprints radio requirements into it.

We're talkin a whole .3" longer.....ohhh noooooo
    graffix31 and Blkthght06 like this.
    07-27-2011 11:20 AM

I agree, I actually prefer to have a 4.5 inch screen as long as its still Super Amoled +, omg I can't wait to get this thing in my hand.
    07-27-2011 11:22 AM
    It makes me a little sad that the NFC did not show up on the key features list. I know it is not mainstream but it is something I wanted to play with. I actually have an idea for use I wanted to work on. I guess I am going to have to buy a second phone for development purposes.
    07-27-2011 11:26 AM
    07-27-2011 01:05 PM
    How long till phones normally arrive after passing fcc
    07-27-2011 01:07 PM
    How long till phones normally arrive after passing fcc
    The EVO 3D was approved on June 3rd and was released on June 24th, so in that instance it took 3 weeks.
    07-27-2011 01:23 PM
    The EVO 3D was approved on June 3rd and was released on June 24th, so in that instance it took 3 weeks.
    normally that's true but the galaxy s2 has not even been announced yet so I doubt it will be 3 weeks, some phones pass through fcc and don't actually get released for a couple of months.
    07-27-2011 01:26 PM
    normally that's true but the galaxy s2 has not even been announced yet so I doubt it will be 3 weeks, some phones pass through fcc and don't actually get released for a couple of months.
    Since we've already seen the mandatory blurry cam, already with the Sprint logo, and the fact that this is a mature product line I'll throw out a guess that it'll be sooner and say August 14th. Wishful thinking? Maybe
    07-27-2011 01:32 PM
    Since we've already seen the mandatory blurry cam, already with the Sprint logo, and the fact that this is a mature product line I'll throw out a guess that it'll be sooner and say August 14th. Wishful thinking? Maybe
    My understanding of the FCC process is that they keep the filing confidential until the carrier/manufacturer is ready to release the phone.
    07-27-2011 01:47 PM
    The Motorola Photon passed through the FCC in early July and is slated for a July 31st release, so about 3-4 week delay there, too. I think it's quite likely we'll see it hit Sprint by early September, maybe late August, if they hold to their 2011 4-6 week pattern between major releases (Kyocera Echo mid-April, Nexus S 4G mid-May, Evo 3D late June, Photon end of July).
    metroff1 likes this.
    07-27-2011 01:50 PM
    ok and, we saw official pictures of the Epic 2 months before release
    07-27-2011 01:56 PM
    The Motorola Photon passed through the FCC in early July and is slated for a July 31st release, so about 3-4 week delay there, too. I think it's quite likely we'll see it hit Sprint by early September, maybe late August, if they hold to their 2011 4-6 week pattern between major releases (Kyocera Echo mid-April, Nexus S 4G mid-May, Evo 3D late June, Photon end of July).
    I agree with this I say release date 09/09/11. I don't think they will release it while people can still return the photon so it will be after August 31st
    07-27-2011 01:57 PM
    Yep, I'd have to agree with this. I still have my sights set on the last week of August or first week of September. Anything sooner will just be an unexpected bonus to me.
    07-27-2011 01:57 PM
    Just to clarify, the phone passed the test on 7/12, but the info was released on FCC's website yesterday.
    Where do you see the 7/12 date as being the approval date? I see the dates that are on all of the documents Samsung submitted but I don't see an approval date.
    07-27-2011 03:05 PM
    Just to clarify, the phone passed the test on 7/12, but the info was released on FCC's website yesterday.
    so 3 to 4 week period would suggest it will get released between August 2nd and August 9th. I really really doubt that.
    07-27-2011 03:05 PM
    You won't see this phone til the first week of September. That date would fit sprints history on releasing high end phones
    07-27-2011 03:38 PM
70 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD