07-29-2011 06:27 PM
70 123
tools
    normally that's true but the galaxy s2 has not even been announced yet so I doubt it will be 3 weeks, some phones pass through fcc and don't actually get released for a couple of months.
    As a reference Epic 4g was announced June 27th. It passed FCC on July 22nd and was released August 31st. ISo do we based release date after it passes FCC or when it's announced?
    07-27-2011 05:51 PM
    I hope it's August as I returned my EVO3d which had issued big time and I am living on my BB Tour.

I am still thinking late August so they can get a jump on the iphone 5. If it were me I'd release mid august and try to saturate the market.
    07-27-2011 07:43 PM
    I hope it's August as I returned my EVO3d which had issued big time and I am living on my BB Tour.

I am still thinking late August so they can get a jump on the iphone 5. If it were me I'd release mid august and try to saturate the market.
    I'm in the same boat. I returned the EVO 3D, which I really liked but had signal issues, and I'm back to a Samsung Moment. I'll keep flashing new roms as long as it takes for the SGS2 to come out.

If Samsung is going to be the supplier for the Nexus Prime I'm sure they're looking to push this release as quickly as possible. I'm still hedging my bets on mid-August.
    07-27-2011 09:35 PM
    Here is some recent Sprint release history:

HTC EVO 3D

Cleared FCC: 6/2/2011
    Announced by Sprint: 6/6/2011 (4 days after FCC clearance)
    Released: 6/24/2011 (22 days after FCC clearance)

Motorola Photon

Cleared FCC: 7/7/2011
    Announced by Sprint: 7/13/2011 (6 days after FCC clearance)
    Released: 7/31/2011 (24 days after FCC clearance)

So ..... *DRUMROLL PLEASE*

Galaxy SII Within - Projected

Cleared FCC: 7/26/2011
    Announced by Sprint: 8/1/2011 to 8/3/2011 (projected - 6 to 9 days after FCC clearance)
    Released: 8/19/2011 to 8/26/2011 (projected - 24 to 31 days after FCC clearance)

I still have my sights set on the first week of September honestly, but I wouldn't say the projections above are impossible.
    07-28-2011 12:13 PM

HTC EVO 3D

Motorola Photon

Announced by Sprint: 8/1/2011 to 8/3/2011 (projected - 6 to 9 days after FCC clearance)
    Released: 8/19/2011 to 8/26/2011 (projected - 24 to 31 days after FCC clearance)

I still have my sights set on the first week of September honestly, but I wouldn't say the projections above are impossible.
    thats good info, thanks.
    07-28-2011 01:00 PM

HTC EVO 3D

Motorola Photon

hah thats wrong info, but the GS2 cleared FCC on 07/12/11 it just wasn't posted until the 26th. so what we should have the phone just about now. lol

Also keep in mind that sprint sent invites for both phones way before the announcement by sprint, there has bee no info on invites for the GS2. Considering the GS2 will probably be their biggest hit of the summer I'm sure they will have some sort of event.

However I do agree with you with maybe first or second week of September
    07-28-2011 01:19 PM
    hah thats wrong info, but the GS2 cleared FCC on 07/12/11 it just wasn't posted until the 26th. so what we should have the phone just about now. lol

Also keep in mind that sprint sent invites for both phones way before the announcement by sprint, there has bee no info on invites for the GS2. Considering the GS2 will probably be their biggest hit of the summer I'm sure they will have some sort of event.

However I do agree with you with maybe first or second week of September
    Where are you getting 7/12? Okay, 7/12 was the report and pass date for some of the tests run by PCTEST, but there are other reports that are dated as far out as 7/18. Sorry but I consider FCC approval to be the date listed as their Final Action Date. Those reports have to go back to the FCC for final review and approval.

I'm no expert, but I don't think the date a device passes a certain test constitutes FCC approval.
    07-28-2011 01:49 PM
    I hope so. I am trying to get my upgrade back with Sprint and I am looking into getting this phone.
    07-28-2011 02:22 PM
    Where are you getting 7/12? Okay, 7/12 was the report and pass date for some of the tests run by PCTEST, but there are other reports that are dated as far out as 7/18. Sorry but I consider FCC approval to be the date listed as their Final Action Date. Those reports have to go back to the FCC for final review and approval.

I'm no expert, but I don't think the date a device passes a certain test constitutes FCC approval.
    You're not looking hard enough.
    07-28-2011 02:48 PM
    You're not looking hard enough.
    Apparently not. The only thing I can find with a 7/12 date was a test report for Hearing Aid Compatibility. I guess I fail.
    07-28-2011 03:09 PM
    I'm thinking the end of August. I'm guessing that Sprint might have something even bigger lined up for September...
    07-28-2011 03:49 PM
    I'm thinking the end of August. I'm guessing that Sprint might have something even bigger lined up for September...
    Hmm l wonder what
    07-28-2011 05:51 PM
    Can you say "iPhone" boys and girls? It's HIGHLY probable Sprint will get it and from all I've read it will be very impressive hardware wise.

The closer to September for the S 2, the more Samsung/Sprint stand to loose a major chunk of sales for the
    S2 to the "other guys" IMHO. Hate them or not, there are PLENTY of Andriod people that would jump ship if they knew the release date for Apple was just a few more weeks (in September).

With all the fails, malfunctions, hardware (and software) problems, lack of updates, crappy cameras I read about ALL Android phones EVERY day on these forums I might just be one of those waiting too!

Let the flame wars begin!
    07-28-2011 08:12 PM
    A Sprint iPhone might be announced in Sept, but I doubt it will come out by then.
    07-28-2011 08:30 PM
    They'd jump ship, and a good percentage of them would jump back. The iPhone isn't the end-all/be-all in smart phones. Just like Android has it's issues, so does the iPhone. And then there's this little thing called ICS, and the next Nexus, that's coming out ... interesting times ahead, my friends ...
    07-28-2011 09:17 PM
    A Sprint iPhone might be announced in Sept, but I doubt it will come out by then.
    Very true. However, even an announcement will have an effect on other handsets such as the Within because people will hold off on their purchases to wait for the iPhone to be released.
    07-28-2011 10:35 PM
    They won't announce the Within until after the Photon launches and I highly doubt they will announce an iphone if it's coming before the S2 launches either.

Just good business sense I think and it leaves me to believe all the more reason to get the S2 out in August so they can announce the iphone in September.

Personally, I've used an iphone a lot and after a real short time was bored silly with the thing. I guess if all you ever want to do with it is use it as it comes out of the box and add a bunch of apps...then swell, but to me at least BORING.
    07-28-2011 10:59 PM
    I would guess the Sprint Galaxy S2 would come out first week of September, so it is beyond the 30 day exchange period for the Photon. My EVO-3D was out 5 weeks before the Photon launch, and the Nexus-S 4G was out 6 weeks before the EVO-3D, for the same thing, they don't want to release them in the 30 day window next to each other.

And the rumors I read for Sprint getting the iPhone5, is that both T-Mobile and Sprint will be getting it two months after it launches on the existing iPhone carriers first, so that would make it a Nov/Dec launch for Sprint. But with Apple you never know, until Steve Jobs or Apple exec's actually say so.

I think this Fall/Winter the battle will be between the iPhone5 vs. Nexus-4.0, those will be the two tops dogs going well into Summer 2012 as the two best smartphones.
    07-29-2011 10:00 AM
    I'm confused by your opinion that the iphone 5 will be a top dog, especially relative to the S2?

I guess for me, screen size is of great importance and a 4" screen just doesn't cut it. Plus, not being able to easily modify the device is another negative. Of course, I don't know if that will be the case with the iPhone5 or not.

If it's just an incremental upgrade to an iPhone4, it will be an non exciting to me as the 4 is after having used my daughters for a couple of days.
    07-29-2011 06:09 PM
    I would guess the Sprint Galaxy S2 would come out first week of September, so it is beyond the 30 day exchange period for the Photon. My EVO-3D was out 5 weeks before the Photon launch, and the Nexus-S 4G was out 6 weeks before the EVO-3D, for the same thing, they don't want to release them in the 30 day window next to each other.

And the rumors I read for Sprint getting the iPhone5, is that both T-Mobile and Sprint will be getting it two months after it launches on the existing iPhone carriers first, so that would make it a Nov/Dec launch for Sprint. But with Apple you never know, until Steve Jobs or Apple exec's actually say so.

I think this Fall/Winter the battle will be between the iPhone5 vs. Nexus-4.0, those will be the two tops dogs going well into Summer 2012 as the two best smartphones.
    You could always activate an old phone and wait out the extra week or two.
    07-29-2011 06:27 PM
70 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD