See front page article:
    Samsung Within gets approved at the FCC, all 4 gees good to go

Sprint usually wait until 2 weeks before launch to get FCC certification.

There might still be delays but this is a very good sign.
    graffix31 likes this.
    07-28-2011 12:10 PM

Sprint usually wait until 2 weeks before launch to get FCC certification.

There might still be delays but this is a very good sign.
    I'm not trying to nitpick but Sprint's recent history with the EVO 3D and Photon has been 3-4 weeks. Using recent history as a guide, we should see a release date announcement next week, with release coming between the last week and a half of August to the first week of September. Of course that assumes no production delays or other hang-ups that could get in the way.
    07-28-2011 12:33 PM
    I have to agree with Jay. Sprint is not going to release the SGS2 until at least 30 days after the Photon. They don't want early adopters dropping the Photon fire the Within, or whatever it ends up being called.

Sent from my HTC Evo 4g
    07-30-2011 11:41 AM
    I have to agree with Jay. Sprint is not going to release the SGS2 until at least 30 days after the Photon. They don't want early adopters dropping the Photon fire the Within, or whatever it ends up being called.

Sent from my HTC Evo 4g

Agree with both you guys.

Definetly will be a September release. And to go head to head with the Iphone 5
    07-30-2011 04:39 PM
    been waiting many months already... what's another couple months???
    08-01-2011 02:04 AM
    Do we know what phone the U.S. carriers are getting ?

Some say it is a crippled version, with a Tegra2 chip ? Others saying it is a dual core Infuse 4G running Gingerbread, with 4.5" screen ? Or it could be the exact same phone already for sale in other countries ? But no solid concrete info on what to expect, and when exactly.
    08-01-2011 07:13 AM
    Do we know what phone the U.S. carriers are getting ?

Some say it is a crippled version, with a Tegra2 chip ? Others saying it is a dual core Infuse 4G running Gingerbread, with 4.5" screen ? Or it could be the exact same phone already for sale in other countries ? But no solid concrete info on what to expect, and when exactly.
    Well, it's safe to say that it will not be the exact same phone for sale in other countries. US carriers still feel the need to play Dr. Frankenstein with their handsets.

Nothing is certain at this point, but from what I've been able to put together, it looks like Sprint will be releasing what amounts to Galaxy SII guts inside an Infuse-like form factor. So it may end up with a 4.5" screen based on the larger case size. Also, results from a benchmark test that a tester likely ran on a prototype says Sprint's variant will have the same Exynos processor as the original, and not a Tegra 2.

As far as a release date goes, it hasn't been announced yet. But it cleared the FCC on 7/26, and based on Sprint's recent release history, we should see a date announced this or next week with a likely release date somewhere between the last week of August and first week of September.

In the end, all of these questions should be answered very soon.
    ajm91484 likes this.
    08-01-2011 11:08 AM
    Thanks update
    08-01-2011 11:19 AM
    I'm not trying to nitpick but Sprint's recent history with the EVO 3D and Photon has been 3-4 weeks...
    I think you are right. Sprint also is trying to space out the phones every 35 days or so so that they do not get a rush of returns from the last phone. Look at the recent timeline:

Sprint has to delay until the Photons are past their 30 point. Unless you crave ED, the Photon may be more to a customer's liking. So you release them each after 30 days in increasing power. Release the best one first and none of the others will sell.

May Nexus S 4G
    June EVO 3D
    July Photon
    August (skip because Photon was 7/29)
    Sept Samsung Galaxy S II

So I bet the Sprint Samsung Galaxy S II will be around Labor Day. I simply cannot wait!
    08-02-2011 12:17 PM
    I think you are right. Sprint also is trying to space out the phones every 35 days or so so that they do not get a rush of returns from the last phone. Look at the recent timeline:

Sprint has to delay until the Photons are past their 30 point. Unless you crave ED, the Photon may be more to a customer's liking. So you release them each after 30 days in increasing power. Release the best one first and none of the others will sell.

• May Nexus S 4G
    • June EVO 3D
    • July Photon
    • August (skip because Photon was 7/29)
    • Sept Samsung Galaxy S II

So I bet the Sprint Samsung Galaxy S II will be around Labor Day. I simply cannot wait!
    I agree 100%, seems like every month or 5 weeks Sprint release their new high end phones. Photon being the latest release July 30th, that would make it early September for the Galaxy S2. I just wish we knew what to expect ? Is it the same as already for sale in Europe and Asia, or more of an Infuse 4G but with dual core and Gingerbread ?

I am a happy EVO-3D owner currently, but am a total sucker for that Super AMOLED+ screen, and razor thin form factor, stip out the Touchwizz, and make it run stock Android, and I think that would be the best phone on the market.

Does the Galaxy S2 have a Notification LED ???
    08-02-2011 01:26 PM
    I just wish we knew what to expect ? Is it the same as already for sale in Europe and Asia, or more of an Infuse 4G but with dual core and Gingerbread ?

I am a happy EVO-3D owner currently, but am a total sucker for that Super AMOLED+ screen, and razor thin form factor, stip out the Touchwizz, and make it run stock Android, and I think that would be the best phone on the market.

Does the Galaxy S2 have a Notification LED ???
    1) It will not be the same as the International version, but it's very likely that the core "guts" will be the same.

2) Many SGS2 owners are actually very happy with TouchWiz 4.0. In fact, there's a thread going on XDA, which is usually full of rooters and modders, arguing that the phone and interface is so good there is very little reason to root it outside of a few benefits (namely security and titanium backup). It may still end up being the best phone on the market without stock Android.

3) Anything is possible, but since the current SGS2 doesn't have a notification light I doubt Sprint's variant will either. Also, I have a feeling the form factor will be more like the Infuse, which also does not have a notification light.
    08-02-2011 02:28 PM
    Thanks for the info Jay. My wife has the Nexus-S no led notification either. What's up with Samsung not including notification light ?
    08-02-2011 03:43 PM
    Thanks for the info Jay. My wife has the Nexus-S no led notification either. What's up with Samsung not including notification light ?
    No clue. Somewhere along Samsung's design decision chain someone chose to exclude it. Last year's Galaxy S was the same way. I'd like to think that there were some real serious design benefits that led to the decision to exclude it, but I have a feeling that it's more about "well if Apple doesn't need one either do we".

There are some alternatives tho. NoLED is a free app in the marketplace that some SGS2 owners use and seem to like. Also, like with the original Galaxy S, I'm sure a developer will come up with a way to use the phone's capacitive key backlights. Although this second method requires a root and flash.
    08-02-2011 04:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD