Why the SGS2 over the Nexus Prime?

Toyman317

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
So I was really sold on replacing my Samsung Epic with the new Samsung Within which comes out in a month or so. Then I start reading about the new Nexus Prime which is due out a couple months later as the first Ice Cream Sandwich phone with much better specs (i.e. better resolution and a SAmoled HD screen) and started having second thoughts about the SGS2. For those of you who have really checked out the Prime and have decided to stay with the SGS2, what are your reasons for doing so? What is better about the SGS2?

For me, it seems the specs for the Prime are still so up in the air that I would have to just wait for more information on it before I pulled the trigger on the SGS2. Other folks don't seem to need to do that for some reason. Why is that?

Zorachus

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
Re: Why the SGS2 over the Nexus Prime?????

First off there is nothing to check out on the Nexus-next, its all rumors for now. It probably will be a Samsung made device, but that's not 100% fact yet. Too early to say.

But I am sure the next Nexus will have better spec's than the Galaxy S2, but don't expect it night and day better. The big deal will be Android 4.0 "Ice Cream" running stock with no bloatware on the new Nexus.

I would imagine XDA will port Ice Cream to the Galaxy S2 very quickly.

Question is, how bad you need a new phone ? Soon get the S2 next month. Or wait until Nov/Dec for the next Nexus

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

I highly doubt you will see a new Nexus phone on Sprint until early 2012. By then we will already be getting some glimpses of what will be coming out in the summer, with the likelihood that something will sound even hotter than the Nexus Prime.

We're like big ole rats on a treadmill with a hunk of cheese dangling just out of our reach. At some point you have to jump off, rip it down and eat the damn cheese.

Toyman317

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site

Well from what I read about the new Nexus, it will have better specs than the SGS2 by quite a bit. But if the Nexus doesn't have support for an SD card, then that is a deal breaker and I stick with the SGS2. I like to have my music library on the phone because I can listen to music all day at work. Are there any other potential deal breakers for the Nexus?

Elite Busido

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site

like someone said, its all rumors. just like how the S2 a YEAR ago was rumored to have a QUAD core CPU....

freddyc

May 6, 2010
Visit site

I can only speak for me, and like you, I'm torn. But the thing that's pushing me towards the Epic Touch or Within or SGII or whatever it's going to be is that:

1) it's going to happen, DEFINITELY, within the next month or so. Until I see something solid on the "Nexus Next", I can't plan for it.

2) Sprint may not see it until 2012. Phil said Verizon first. No one knows for sure until Google tells us

3) My Evo is going through something serious, and it's time to replace the ol' girl. I don't know if I can wait for the next Nexus. I almost got the Moto, until I read about the screen.

4) ICS may be the cats pajama's,but I can't think of an OS release that nailed it out the gate. By this time next year it'll be on it's second or third revision, and on more hardware. Maybe the quad-core phones will be out by then.

Your mileage and opinion may vary ...

brownhornet

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site

Look how long it took the Nexus S to be released on Sprint after it's initial release. Do you honestly think we will see this phone on Sprint this year? I mean if it even comes to Sprint at all.

garrettfarnum

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site

Look how long it took the Nexus S to be released on Sprint after it's initial release. Do you honestly think we will see this phone on Sprint this year? I mean if it even comes to Sprint at all.
sprint and google have been best buds, you never know.

thekarens

May 18, 2010
Visit site
The SGS2 has a huge developer community so I can guarantee if you're willing to root your phone you'll be able to get ICS on it. The SCS2 is real and almost here. The Nexus Prime is still a rumor. Yes, I know there will be another Nexus, but we have no idea when or what the specs will be.

Toyman317

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
If you look at the thread about the Prime, the word on the street seems to be the next Nexus will be on all the carriers at once like the Galaxy. Google/Sammy really want to overwhelm the Iphone with mucho choice.

Korama12

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
One thing that I find very appealing about the SGSII is that the device is proven. It's been out for a couple of months now in Europe and we know exactly what the hardware and software look like and we know that they both work extremely well.

With the Nexus Prime we have no solid details and no guarantee that the phone won?t have technical issues when it comes out. I know that you wouldn?t expect problems from a ?Google? phone but take a look at some Nexus S reviews. Even after all this time that phone is plagued with reception issues that stem from the design of the antenna. I?m not saying the Prime will have the same problems but just using it as an example to show that even Nexus phones can have design flaws.

The SGSII is a known commodity with no major flaws to speak of.

Some specific concerns that I have about the Prime:

It has a 4.6? screen. I know everyone says that the lack of physical buttons will prevent the phone from being too big but? I need to see that first. I have major doubts about that and I don?t want a huge phone. The size of the SGSII is as big as I'm willing to go.

The Nexus S didn?t have removable/upgradeable memory. I would expect that the Prime will remedy that situation but until we know for sure this is a minor cause for concern.

When will it be released? Who will release it? By the time it comes out, won?t there be some other ?next big thing? on the horizon that will dwarf its specs? I don't want to get caught in that cycle where I never end up getting anything because there is always going to be something that looks better on the horizon.

The SGSII is an incredible phone. Current consensus from reviewers is that it's the best android phone ever made. I think that's good enough for me. ;)

Reactions: Ricolando

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
If you are a purists, a freak of Google, want a OS built around specific hardware, a nexus is it, anything different won't do. The sg2 is a freak of a phone now, but as each day passes, blueprints of superior devices make their way. I think people sometimes spend way to much time waiting to get a future proof phone. Fact is, no such device will ever exist, unless you can find a phone that makes you happy and you aren't worried about the phone that comes out in three months to only trumpet the one you have. I am staying open minded about both devices, no way will I say I am getting a phone that isn't here yet. Imo, if you want the best, nexus. If you don't want to wait, sg2? I think sg2 owners should not be worried about the nexus though, as it looks nice, and has been used for some time overseas.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I don't know why people are spouting out Nexus Prime specs with any kind of certainty. The phone is complete rumor as of right now. It's very likely a new Nexus will be released shortly after ICS is announced/released, but even that is not official. All we have is past experience to guide us, which suggests we'll see a new Nexus in December and it will come first to T-Mobile. If anyone has hard evidence to the contrary (I'm talking press releases or official announcements, not rumors), by all means share them. :)

That said, it's fun to guess what the phone might be. We can probably safely assume it will be dual core, since ICS is rumored to directly support dual cores and most new high-end phones coming out these days are dual core. My personal feeling is it will be very similar to the Galaxy S2, assuming Samsung is again the manufacturer. The Nexus S is essentially a slightly updated Galaxy S1, after all. If the phone is instead made by LG or HTC, then who knows what it will look like?

If you're on Sprint and need a new phone *now*, you've got several great choices. If you can wait, you'll get a couple more. Holding on to a busted phone in anticipation of a rumor, however, is foolish in my eyes. Technology moves; as JayWill72 said, at some point you have to get off the treadmill and eat the damn cheese. :D

DataHawg

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
I highly doubt you will see a new Nexus phone on Sprint until early 2012. By then we will already be getting some glimpses of what will be coming out in the summer, with the likelihood that something will sound even hotter than the Nexus Prime.

We're like big ole rats on a treadmill with a hunk of cheese dangling just out of our reach. At some point you have to jump off, rip it down and eat the damn cheese.

DataHawg

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
You are so right, Jay Will. If we are always waiting for the latest and greatest, we'll be stuck on the treadmill of using outdated hardware forever. I will be buying an SGS2.

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
the Nexus3 would be a great phone to get. It should be an all screen phone and a pure Google phone IMO would be a great phone to have. Sammy is making the N3 then it would be as if you had it its twin younger brother. I will be getting the GSII and see how the N3 compares.
why wouldn't this phone come out this year Google has all but said it will. they bid and come together on it during Christmas and put out a new OS version come OCT... With that they would show it off on a new device... You have been around for awhile to not know this... For Google not to release it this year would be dumb... As for Sprint they may release it in November (hopefully) that should be enough time for the GSII to sell and 30 day contracts to be up... If not then it will come out next year. I don't think to many people Get it just because they aren't into the rooting or Vanilla theme. People like TouchWiz the way people like Sense... I do hope Sprint carries both of these phones. To me it would show its commitment to Google and not Sammy. IMO..either way Sprints get my Money lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guylenn49