Samsung Epic Touch 4G Releasing in Sept

Tonio21

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Wasn't Sprint it is Samsung. People can't keep blaming Sprint for slow updates on Samsung phones when other carriers seem to have little problem getting updates through Sprint to phones.

So how do you explain the other carriers outside the US getting their updates out in a pretty timely fashion ? Most dont add their own crap to the phones and release the updates as is as far as I know. I don't live overseas so I can't tell you for sure. I have seen at least 2 to 3 builds for the Epic's update to gingerbread here on androidcentral and yet, no update from sprint yet. Plus how do you explain the Samsung Conquer I believe it's called coming out with gingerbread ?? Unless you are saying Samsung is saying screw the US versions once they have sold. As for how HTC get's their's out quick for example, I have no idea.

Last edited:

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
So how do you explain the other carriers outside the US getting their updates out in a pretty timely fashion ? Most dont add their own crap to the phones and release the updates as is as far as I know. I don't live overseas so I can't tell you for sure. I have seen at least 2 to 3 builds for the Epic's update to gingerbread here on androidcentral and yet, no update from sprint yet. Plus how do you explain the Samsung Conquer I believe it's called coming out with gingerbread ?? Unless you are saying Samsung is saying screw the US versions once they have sold. As for how HTC get's their's out quick for example, I have no idea.

I agree. Another reason why Samsung is slow to update phones in the US but updates fast for phones overseas is because they want to take the top spot for market share in Europe (Nokia is really popular over there, well at least used to be). Nokia has been ahead of them for quite some time and Samsung is about to take the lead.

iEVOkethe5th

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
So, adding to the rumor mill, a best buy rep today, told me Aug 21st. Personally have googled the heck out of this and can find no confirmation for anything other than rumors of september. Same rep also said the Epic Touch 4G would have a qwerty slider... I've seen the links to the fcc leak and think he was full of it or talking out his @$$.. Perhaps confused with the at&t version?

Sent from my PC36100

graffix31

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Seriously. What is the issue with giving us a release date already. I mean any carrier. For a phone that has been available to most of the world for months now why such tight lips. Its killing me!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

jfenton

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
This phone is now actually getting rather long in the tooth and by spring will surely be surpassed.

I feel like someone blew it on this one unless this will be updated somehow from the international version...in a positive way.

Course, all of this is a mute point if in fact, we don't need our PHONES to do anything more than this unit is capable of and in all honestly, that may well be the case.

Tonio21

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I agree. Another reason why Samsung is slow to update phones in the US but updates fast for phones overseas is because they want to take the top spot for market share in Europe (Nokia is really popular over there, well at least used to be). Nokia has been ahead of them for quite some time and Samsung is about to take the lead.

You know, that makes sense. Nokia is kind of dead in the water here in the US (it seems) but as far as overseas that is a possibility. Nokia to be overtaken by Samsung in smartphone sales - Telegraph

freddyc

May 6, 2010
Visit site
So, adding to the rumor mill, a best buy rep today, told me Aug 21st. Personally have googled the heck out of this and can find no confirmation for anything other than rumors of september. Same rep also said the Epic Touch 4G would have a qwerty slider... I've seen the links to the fcc leak and think he was full of it or talking out his @$$.. Perhaps confused with the at&t version?

Sent from my PC36100

Or he's thinking about the Conquer 4G. That'll be out this month. We won't see this phone until September. Hopefully the beginning; they're getting dangerously close to Google announcing the next Nexus phone ...

fred1955

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Wow! So, it appears the Samsung Epic Touch 4G (formerly, Samsung Galaxy S2, Samsung Within) is coming out next month!
Sprint may release the HP Pre3 and the long-awaited Applie iPhone 5 too in the next month or two.
Seems like Sprint will have an All-Star line-up of "Super Smartphones" heading into the Christmas season this year.

scuba_steve

May 1, 2011
Visit site
Wow! So, it appears the Samsung Epic Touch 4G (formerly, Samsung Galaxy S2, Samsung Within) is coming out next month!
Sprint may release the HP Pre3 and the long-awaited Applie iPhone 5 too in the next month or two.
Seems like Sprint will have an All-Star line-up of "Super Smartphones" heading into the Christmas season this year.

Sprint is not getting the Pre 3. I wish they were...because I love WebOS....but many sources have confirmed no Pre 3 for Sprint. My wife is also rather sad to be losing her little WebOS workhorse...but those launch day Pre minuses are getting a tad rough around the edges...so we are also anxiously awaiting the GS2 on Sprint.

chill.117

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site

ratm22

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Given that the original Epic was released Aug 31st of last year, it would be a shock if the Galaxy S 2, or whatever they want to call it would come out at any point before then this year. Following the track record of the Evo and the Evo 3D release, I'd be pretty conifident in an early Sept release. I just hope I can get my every year upgrade back since I got booted down to silver status, even though I have 2 epics and an evo on my account and I will be in my 10th year with sprint early in 2012.

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
Hmm, one source is reporting that 5 phones will drop on 9/9. That would be sooner than expected for the GS2.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
what source and i think sept 9th sounds just about right

There was a a comment in the Engadget article linked above that said:

Mark this one as slightly better than hearsay: A friend of mine who works for Radio Shack corporate here in Fort Worth said that in a meeting this morning, mention was made of "5 unnamed Sprint devices" launching on 9/9. I'm guessing these are at least some of those.

September 9th would line up right in my mind also. Sprint released the EVO 3D on a Friday so it's a possible day for sure, although I was also thinking Sunday, September 4th is a possibility too. I just checked with my local Sprint store and they're open on Labor Day.

jfenton

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
One would think that they'd announce 30 days out?

Also, I can't fathom they would be releasing 5 phones (assuming none of the devices are tabs) all on the same day.

Perhaps there is some lame ass agreement that the GSII and IP5 have to be released simultaneously?

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
One would think that they'd announce 30 days out?

No Sprint typically announces 2-3 weeks ahead of a release. Here's the last 3 ...

EVO 3D - Announced 6/6, Released 6/24 (18 days)

Photon - Announced 7/13, Released 7/31 (18 days)

Conquer - Announced 8/5, Releasing 8/21 (16 days)

So a 9/9 release date would put an announcement somewhere around 8/22. I agree though, it's not a carriers style to release several devices on the same date, so I have to question that Radio Shack info.

joe_sun

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
No Sprint typically announces 2-3 weeks ahead of a release. Here's the last 3 ...

EVO 3D - Announced 6/6, Released 6/24 (18 days)

Photon - Announced 7/13, Released 7/31 (18 days)

Conquer - Announced 8/5, Releasing 8/21 (16 days)

So a 9/9 release date would put an announcement somewhere around 8/22. I agree though, it's not a carriers style to release several devices on the same date, so I have to question that Radio Shack info.

Thanks for the info.. good post