08-19-2011 04:19 PM
37 12
tools
    I got an iPhone 4 (yea I know lol) and Im planning on coming to Sprint for an Android device. I wanna know peeps opinions and advice on whether to choose the Evo3d or the Galaxy S 2 which will be announced this month or any other device which is comparable or better.

What I'm lookin for:
    Good battery
    Best Android Experience
    Free tethering

And best Android Experience with the help of u experts in regards to help with customization and etc.

Thanks
    08-16-2011 09:22 PM
    This is a simple question to answer.

Go with the Galaxy SII.

The EVO 3D has bad radios unless you are in very strong signal areas.

Either rooted will likely give you free tether.
    08-16-2011 09:42 PM
    Photon is a strong contender, too.
    08-16-2011 09:46 PM
    I'm no expert, but if you were planning on switching carriers just for a phone, I would not recommend doing that. Financially, it would be a big waste of money just to have a phone you want when there are plenty of good android phones on whatever carrier you have. If you were going to switch because Sprint is good in your area, then I would recommend the SGS2 as Samsung phones are very easy to root and they usually have the best hardware.
    Broheemster likes this.
    08-16-2011 09:51 PM
    I came last year from Iphone 3G and got an Evo and love it and never looked back. Now i am just waiting for the Samsung Galaxy S2.

Ian B
    08-16-2011 09:56 PM
    Well I'm currently on AT&T and I hate their service.

Sprint is currently offering $175 for switching back to them. And this is my only way away from the iPhone also because I just got it in February so that covers some of those early termination fees.

I may register for Sprint Sero Premium or Premier Gold to be eligible to upgrade every year.
    08-16-2011 10:47 PM
    Daboybk, not sure if sprint requires you to turn in that iPhone or if they just flat out give you credit for becoming a customer but if you sell that IPhone4 you'll get a lot more money than $175... possibly pay your ETF and part of your subsidized phone. P.S. the GS2 over the evo 3d for sure.
    08-17-2011 02:31 AM
    This may be the wrong forum to ask as you will get mainly responses for the SGS II as anyone in here is likely waiting for the SGS II to be released. I am in your position, except that I have an outdated hero and am sitting on an upgrade. I am leaning towards the SGS II but the Photon and EVO 3d are real strong contenders. I may even wait a month or so to see if the Nexus Prime will be released on Sprint. But you can't go wrong with any of the 3 phones on Sprint.
    08-17-2011 06:57 AM
    Both devices are great power packed pro & cons with both.
    I would recommend 3D due to its STRONG Development community & HTC history of keeping device updated.
    Yes that Sammy display screen rocks but that's about it unfortunately.
    Sammy Build quality is plastic cheap and firmware updates are hard to come by development support will lack.
    08-17-2011 11:05 AM
    Both devices are great power packed pro & cons with both.
    I would recommend 3D due to its STRONG Development community & HTC history of keeping device updated.
    Yes that Sammy display screen rocks but that's about it unfortunately.
    Sammy Build quality is plastic cheap and firmware updates are hard to come by development support will lack.
    The SGS2 has a much stronger development community. It comes with an already unlocked bootloader and Samsung even encouraged CM by giving them a free phone early on. As long as the Sprint version doesn't vary too much as the Epic did with regards to SGS1. With the SGS2 a few months after the release they (devs on xda) were able to release stable roms that gave users more than 5 days of uptime on their phones without turning off their radios and with medium use of the phones.

Sammy's build quality on the SGS2 is much different than that of its predecessors. They have people stress testing the hell out of it on youtube. (watch youtube sgs2 back cover) Firmware updates are relatively hard to come by, but as long as this version is similar to the Korean/Euro version then that shouldn't be a problem at all since developers could port over their roms. Sammy display screen rocks but that's about it? What about the Exynos processor? It's WAY better than the EVO 3D's qualcomm processor in terms of battery consumption and power as well. The fact that they are both 1.2ghz means nothing and if you think that they are the same because of that then you are easily fooled with numbers.
    graffix31 likes this.
    08-17-2011 11:46 AM
    The SGS2 has a much stronger development community. It comes with an already unlocked bootloader and Samsung even encouraged CM by giving them a free phone early on. As long as the Sprint version doesn't vary too much as the Epic did with regards to SGS1. With the SGS2 a few months after the release they (devs on xda) were able to release stable roms that gave users more than 5 days of uptime on their phones without turning off their radios and with medium use of the phones.
    huh
    HTC developers out number samsung by 2 to1.
    EVO custom rom selection out numbered EPIC 3 to 1.

GS2 Rom port will be interesting seeing US version is totally different then European.
    Only thing they have in common is the name GS2 so I see the same EVO / Epic development history repeating itself

Sammy's build quality on the SGS2 is much different than that of its predecessors. They have people stress testing the hell out of it on youtube. (watch youtube sgs2 back cover) Firmware updates are relatively hard to come by, but as long as this version is similar to the Korean/Euro version then that shouldn't be a problem at all since developers could port over their roms. Sammy display screen rocks but that's about it? What about the Exynos processor? It's WAY better than the EVO 3D's qualcomm processor in terms of battery consumption and power as well. The fact that they are both 1.2ghz means nothing and if you think that they are the same because of that then you are easily fooled with numbers.
    US version yes the screen is about it.
    Exynos is the best! no doubt! ,The problem is US GS2 not sporting it which is really upsetting to me.
    If Sammy left a good thing alone shipped us European version I would of been on it in a heartbeat power packed no rom development uncertainty.
    08-17-2011 12:29 PM
    huh

GS2 Rom port will be interesting seeing US version is totally different then European.
    Only thing they have in common is the name GS2 so I see the same EVO / Epic development history repeating itself

Exynos is the best! no doubt! ,The problem is US GS2 not sporting it which is really upsetting to me.
    If Sammy left a good thing alone shipped us European version I would of been on it in a heartbeat power packed no rom development uncertainty.
    The US is a major market and Samsung said that they will bring Exynos to every major market. It doesn't matter nearly as how many ROM's there are out there for the Evo. They all share similar features and either that, they are themed in some sort of way (which I don't like but you may).

Edit: Just to back up the fact that the US is getting the Exynos version, there was a report of a device called D710 (Epic 4G touch) that had the highest score in the Nenamark 2 benchmark alongside the Euro SGS2. Since it had the same score as the Euro SGS2, we could imply it has the same chip. Some better evidence is that the benchmark sensed that the D710 had the Mali-400 GPU which is in the Exynos.
    08-17-2011 12:49 PM
    The US is a major market and Samsung said that they will bring Exynos to every major market. It doesn't matter nearly as how many ROM's there are out there for the Evo. They all share similar features and either that, they are themed in some sort of way (which I don't like but you may).

Edit: Just to back up the fact that the US is getting the Exynos version, there was a report of a device called D710 (Epic 4G touch) that had the highest score in the Nenamark 2 benchmark alongside the Euro SGS2. Since it had the same score as the Euro SGS2, we could imply it has the same chip. Some better evidence is that the benchmark sensed that the D710 had the Mali-400 GPU which is in the Exynos.
    Ive come across write up stating US would not be Exynos , if it is which I highly doubt I'm on it.
    Its More then roms availability it also came down to kernel development...the heartbeat of rom.
    EVO stomped on epic in kernel number.....HTC released and customized.
    Anyway I feel I'm right on with my development prediction ....Especially seeing that 3D will be available world wide under same spec everything.
    Time will tell who's right on.
    08-17-2011 01:06 PM
    Ive come across write up stating US would not be Exynos , if it is which I highly doubt I'm on it.
    Its More then roms availability it also came down to kernel development...the heartbeat of rom.
    EVO stomped on epic in kernel number.....HTC released and customized.
    Anyway I feel I'm right on with my development prediction ....Especially seeing that 3D will be available world wide under same spec everything.
    Time will tell who's right on.
    Look for the SPH-D710 which is the model number of the Sammy phone that went through the FCC

Nena Innovation AB - NenaMark results

I cat gaurantee that it is a Exynos, (no one can either way) but the fact that it scored almost the same as the Euro version with the same exact seems to point to it being so. It is also using the same GPU and not using the Adreno 220 which if it was a Snapdragon it would be. Soooo.... In my eyes if you add it all up it kinda points to a Exynos.

But on the other hand, I have had every HTC android phone (excluding the 3D) since the Hero, the development does move at a faster pace than the Epic. There are amazing developers on both phones so I dont see that as an arguement.
    08-17-2011 01:58 PM
    huh

You clearly didn't read what I said. I said as long as the Epic 4g Touch is not a weird variant of the SGS2 then there will be absolutely no problem porting roms over to the Sprint version. Go and read the android development forum on the SGS2 on xda. It's filled with people from ALL OVER THE WORLD that are developing for the phone since it is everywhere (except here). US will be sporting the Exynos. There's tons of evidence showing that. That guy linked you the nenamarks that show that it WILL be the Exynos processor (which is hard evidence) versus the few rumors that have said that it will not have the Exynos processor. Let me give you a break down with bullets because you didn't want to read it in paragraph form. I'll even add a few for good measure.

*SGS2 will have a better processor.
    *SGS2 will have a better screen but it will have a lower resolution.
    *SGS2 will be unlocked (you have to sign off and void your warranty with HTC).
    *SGS2 already has a robust developer base.
    *SGS2 already has incredibly good and stable ROMS; you hold onto quantity, I'll focus on quality.
    *SGS2 will have better battery life.
    *SGS2 will be thinner and weigh less.
    *SGS2 will have better call quality. (There are tons of users complaining about the sub par call quality in comparison with the EVO 4g's excellent call quality)
    *SGS2 will have 16GB internal memory, EVO 3D has 4GB
    *SGS2 Front facing camera 2Megapixels, Evo3d 1.3Megapixels
    *SGS2 8Megapixel Camera, Evo 3d dual 5megapixel camera with 3d capturing.
    *SGS2 can capture 1080p 30 fps video, Evo 3d 720p 24fps
    *---EVO3d can display 3d content. Horribly, but it still can.

I'm sure that there's more but I'm at work and I can't really surf around very much.
    08-17-2011 02:50 PM
    Look for the SPH-D710 which is the model number of the Sammy phone that went through the FCC

I cat gaurantee that it is a Exynos, (no one can either way) but the fact that it scored almost the same as the Euro version with the same exact seems to point to it being so. It is also using the same GPU and not using the Adreno 220 which if it was a Snapdragon it would be. Soooo.... In my eyes if you add it all up it kinda points to a Exynos.

But on the other hand, I have had every HTC android phone (excluding the 3D) since the Hero, the development does move at a faster pace than the Epic. There are amazing developers on both phones so I dont see that as an arguement.
    The reasons why the development moves a lot slower on the Epic is because it is vastly different when compared to other Galaxy S phones. The difference is not only in the addition of the keyboard. Decad3nce (Cyanogenmod developer) broke it down in a rage post in the Epic forums. xda-developers - View Single Post - :: sigh ::
    Officerpolabear likes this.
    08-17-2011 02:55 PM
    LG Optimus S!!!

Sent from my LG Optimus S using Tapatalk
    08-17-2011 02:57 PM
    LG Optimus S!!!

Sent from my LG Optimus S using Tapatalk
    Thanks thanks thanks.. U guys are teaching me alot right now. I love this site. ++++ 2 all.

So as far as Sprint goes the Evo 3D and Samsung Galaxy S2 appear to be the best options, correct?
    08-17-2011 03:44 PM
    Thanks thanks thanks.. U guys are teaching me alot right now. I love this site. ++++ 2 all.

So as far as Sprint goes the Evo 3D and Samsung Galaxy S2 appear to be the best options, correct?
    The Samsung Galaxy S2 won't come out until next month. Right now the best Sprint phone available is the Motorola Photon (right out of the box).
    08-17-2011 04:06 PM
    *SGS2 will have a better processor.
    That remains to be seen.
    *SGS2 will have a better screen but it will have a lower resolution.
    True
    *SGS2 will be unlocked (you have to sign off and void your warranty with HTC).
    Theres a hack for that that keeps warranty in tact
    *SGS2 already has a robust developer base.
    US & European GS2 are not same device so who knows.
    *SGS2 already has incredibly good and stable ROMS; you hold onto quantity, I'll focus on quality.
    Both have quality roms HTC development has more...lets not forget about HTC releasing more kernels keeping EVO sharp. How long did it take for Epic GPS to get updates? A very long time , same is the case with Nexus radio issue.
    Samung is slowwwwwww on maintenance
    *SGS2 will have better battery life
    that remains to be seen
    *SGS2 will be thinner and weigh less.
    It will be much much bigger
    *SGS2 will have better call quality. (There are tons of users complaining about the sub par call quality in comparison with the EVO 4g's excellent call quality)
    *SGS2 will have 16GB internal memory, EVO 3D has 4GB
    who uses more then 4GB lol Ever heard of "Apps to SD"
    *SGS2 Front facing camera 2Megapixels, Evo3d 1.3Megapixels
    True
    *SGS2 8Megapixel Camera, Evo 3d dual 5megapixel camera with 3d capturing.
    Megapixel hardware mean nothing as we found out on EVO & Epic pic quality comparison.
    *SGS2 can capture 1080p 30 fps video, Evo 3d 720p 24fps
    *---EVO3d can display 3d content. Horribly, but it still can.
    True except for the Horribly.
    I found 3D content to look pretty good.

I'm sure that there's more but I'm at work and I can't really surf around very much.
    hehe no problem. I could do my own comparison but will wait till all device specs etc are released
    lbknight likes this.
    08-17-2011 06:48 PM
    All the above is great and all, but none of it is better than going into a store and fondling them yourself. Compare the specs, read and watch the reviews, then haul your butt armed with that info into your favorite retailer and compare them side-by-side.

When Sprint releases its SGS2 variant, the best top-end Android devices will indeed be the EVO3D, Moto Photon and Galaxy SII (Epic Touch 4G or whatever it will be called). Pick one of those three based on your personal tastes and it will be hard to go wrong.
    08-17-2011 07:00 PM
    Right now the best Sprint phone available is the Motorola Photon (right out of the box).
    Ive got a feeling you dont like htc lol.
    Out of the box Photon Motoblob is a disgrace ., Benchmarks are lower & most importantly its Pixlen screen sucs.
    Those are the basics I could keep on going but the above are enough to run away from Photon.
    08-17-2011 07:05 PM
    What lol
    Ive got a feeling you dont like htc.
    Out of the box Photon Motoblob is a disgrace ., Benchmarks are lower & most importantly its Pixlen screen sucs.
    I love HTC. My favorite phone out of all of the phones that I have tried on Sprint is the HTC EVO Shift. The Photon is actually a pretty good phone. The pentile matrix screen does bother me a lot though. It has really good battery life and really good performance. The Photon's ghostblur does suck a big one, but it's a lot lighter than motoblur and it's still decent for the average user.
    ======
    Speaking of performance, the Photon 4G is fast. It's almost as quick as our favorite speed demons, Samsung's Galaxy S II and HTC's EVO 3D (which are both clocked at a higher 1.2GHz). The combination of Gingerbread, 1GHz dual-core Tegra 2 processor and 1GB of RAM really shows its potential here -- everything from the UI to the web browser feels immediate and fluid. Our benchmarks reflect this, with Quadrant consistently scoring 2,300 to 2,700, Linpack (single-thread) returning 41 MFLOPS, Linpack (multi-thread) 63 MFLOPS, Nenamark 46.9fps, Nenamark2 23.4fps, Neocore 54.6fps and Sunspider finishing in a brief 4,105ms. These results clearly place the Photon near the top of the dual-core smartphone heap.
    =======

That's from the engadget review.
    08-17-2011 07:18 PM
    That remains to be seen.
    True
    Theres a hack for that that keeps warranty in tact
    Both have quality roms HTC development has more...lets not forget about HTC releasing more kernels keeping EVO sharp. How long did it take for Epic GPS to get updates? A very long time , same is the case with Nexus radio issue.
    Samung is slowwwwwww on maintenance
    that remains to be seen
    It will be much much bigger
    who uses more then 4GB lol Ever heard of "Apps to SD"
    True
    Megapixel hardware mean nothing as we found out on EVO & Epic pic quality comparison.
    True except for the Horribly.
    I found 3D content to look pretty good.

hehe no problem. I could do my own comparison but will wait till all device specs etc are released

Is the SGS2 for Sprint. It will have Exynos. With the Exynos processor it will have better battery life. If the SGS2 from Sprint doesn't vary greatly as the Epic did, then it will easily have ported roms. Read Engadget's review of the SGS2 and it says that the only cell phone camera that is better than the SGS2 is the Nokia N9. How will the SGS2 be much bigger than the EVO 3D? The EVO 3D is a tank.

Dimensions:
    Evo3D: 5.00 x 2.60 x 0.47 (127 x 66 x 12 mm)
    GS2: 4.93 x 2.60 x 0.33 (125.3 x 66.1 x 8.49 mm)
    Photon4G: 5.00 x 2.63 x 0.48 (126.9 x 66.9 x 12.2 mm)

Weight:
    Evo3D: 6.00 oz (170 g)
    GS2: 4.09 oz (116 g)
    Photon4G: 5.57 oz (158 g)

Apps to SD won't even be needed with the SGS2's internal memory. Why have additional crap that you don't need?
    08-17-2011 07:27 PM
    Is the SGS2 for Sprint. It will have Exynos. With the Exynos processor it will have better battery life. If the SGS2 from Sprint doesn't vary greatly as the Epic did, then it will easily have ported roms. Read Engadget's review of the SGS2 and it says that the only cell phone camera that is better than the SGS2 is the Nokia N9. How will the SGS2 be much bigger than the EVO 3D? The EVO 3D is a tank.

Dimensions:
    Evo3D: 5.00 x 2.60 x 0.47 (127 x 66 x 12 mm)
    GS2: 4.93 x 2.60 x 0.33 (125.3 x 66.1 x 8.49 mm)
    Photon4G: 5.00 x 2.63 x 0.48 (126.9 x 66.9 x 12.2 mm)

Weight:
    Evo3D: 6.00 oz (170 g)
    GS2: 4.09 oz (116 g)
    Photon4G: 5.57 oz (158 g)

Apps to SD won't even be needed with the SGS2's internal memory. Why have additional crap that you don't need?
    Good question.
    I'm old school SD card user....basically hooked on that holding my apps.
    I think it comes from my ipaq 6515 & Treo 700wx days
    I built apps that ran from sd card worked mortscript app development from it.
    Some of my work
    The first app that turned off WM Treo key lights.
    http://forums.precentral.net/treo-70...-keylight.html
    08-17-2011 07:58 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD