Anyone else thinking of skipping SGSll for Nexus 3?

chill.117

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
I've been waiting for the galaxy s2 to come out on sprint for sooooooo long. But now that its rumored for September i'm having a really hard time justifying buying this phone instead of just waiting another month for the next Nexus. Of course this is assuming that the Nexus Prime does actually come out in october and launches with sprint.

Anyone else having similar thoughts?

cacherpaderp

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
I've been waiting for the galaxy s2 to come out on sprint for sooooooo long. But now that its rumored for September i'm having a really hard time justifying buying this phone instead of just waiting another month for the next Nexus. Of course this is assuming that the Nexus Prime does actually come out in october and launches with sprint.

Anyone else having similar thoughts?

I am contemplating this as well. If the Prime comes out in October or November I will wait for it. I think it would be worth it because Samsung's biggest flaw is its software support. That is not an issue on the Nexus line.

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
If your always waiting for the next phone then your always going to envy next months announcement. I gave up on waiting for the SGS2 and got the evo 3D, I'm happy :)

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I am contemplating this as well. If the Prime comes out in October or November I will wait for it. I think it would be worth it because Samsung's biggest flaw is its software support. That is not an issue on the Nexus line.

What i would like to know is who ever buys a phone solely for software support? If this is the case for many then the Nexus line is the best phone for you to get since they get all updates first. Not trying to nock on you so dont take it that way, but people always complains about that and who knows why they delayed it. Maybe they wanted to update their on phones and have you do it thru kies so this way it would be faster then sending it to your carriers for approval then to get rejected to have to work on it to then get rejected. So when people blam Sammy i hope they are also putting some of the blame on their carriers....

Sprint didnt release the GS1 till end of august last year so to think it would be here before Sept is fine but imo its being released in a few weeks 9/9, rumor has it so hopefully its true and Sprint could be the first to market with it. If your waiting for something , something else will be just around the corner that will be bigger,faster and better so you can keep waiting or except whats out now as the best. At the end of the day its just a phone lol....

jfenton

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Absolutely. I mean the Nexus 4G was such a winner with it's crappy build and lousy radios....

It amazes me how most folks have gotten away from thinking of a phone as an actual functional call device and now consider it only as a needed to be constantly upgraded toy and IM machine.

I think someone could make a killing if they developed one that didn't even have call radios in it!

greedo698

May 22, 2011
Visit site
4.5 inch super AMOLED HD display....that sounds very VERY yummy....

I was hoping the samsung GSII would have a 4.5 inch on sprint...I kind of like the bigger screen for watching movies on my phone :)

(sigh) that HD is going to kill me....I dunno if I should wait for a couple of extra months...I'm still relatively happy with my cracked iphone lol

All in all ...if the GSII is less than 4.5 inches I think I'll just wait for the 4.5 inch HD super amoled device

chill.117

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
4.5 inch super AMOLED HD display....that sounds very VERY yummy....

I was hoping the samsung GSII would have a 4.5 inch on sprint...I kind of like the bigger screen for watching movies on my phone :)

(sigh) that HD is going to kill me....I dunno if I should wait for a couple of extra months...I'm still relatively happy with my cracked iphone lol

All in all ...if the GSII is less than 4.5 inches I think I'll just wait for the 4.5 inch HD super amoled device

The galaxy s2 on sprint is supposed to have a 4.5" screen.

chill.117

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
If your always waiting for the next phone then your always going to envy next months announcement. I gave up on waiting for the SGS2 and got the evo 3D, I'm happy :)

It's not that i'm waiting for the next phone, it's just that i've been waiting so long for the GSll that if the nexus is going to be as good as every article i've read on it so far says, why not just wait one more month. Especially because my next phone will be my phone for two years.

slave

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
It's not that i'm waiting for the next phone, it's just that i've been waiting so long for the GSll that if the nexus is going to be as good as every article i've read on it so far says, why not just wait one more month. Especially because my next phone will be my phone for two years.

I totally understood your original post, and I agree with it. I also have been waiting for it, why not wait another month and get the Nexus Prime, that's if we can get it in October, or EARLY November.

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
I hate to say it, but I think I am waiting until Apple drops its next offering, and then will pick the best for me. Evo is still going strong for me and nothing has adequately wowed me to make me change.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

joe_sun

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I was waiting for the SGII but then ran across as used Nexus S for $200.00 so I bought that instead. I figure the Nexus S will hold me over until Nexus Prime and I can make a decision then what I want to spend my upgrade credit on. Hopefully it does come out pretty quickly, I'm hoping to sell the Nexus S for what I paid for it :)

ZDriver

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
What's to say Sprint even gets the nexus prime and if they do what if its 6 months later?? You still going to wait it out?? If epic 4g touch has Exynos processor I'm all over it

Zorachus

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
Yeah we don't even know officially when the Nexus-Three will come out, and then if Sprint will get it right away too ? I would guess the N-3 comes out in December, like the last two Nexus releases, and all the buzz seems to be with Verizon getting it, and who knows if Sprint, T-Mobile, or ATT will get at the same time, or not until May 2012 ?

The Galaxy S2 for sure is coming soon, and it will be no slouch, most likely the top Android device until the Nexus-Three comes out, and I am sure the XDA crew will get "Ice Cream" ported to the Galaxy S2 as fast as possible, I would guess the S2 will be the first phones to see Ice Cream ported over on XDA, because hardware wise and being Samsung they will be the closest thing to the N-3.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm still buying Sprint's SGS2 unless I walk into the store, and don't like it for some reason, or if the specs turn out to be less than expected (unlikely but certainly possible). If this happens, I'll either hang onto my Pre for the rest of the year or buy something used off contract and wait for the Nexus. I doubt this will happen though. I fully expect to be carrying around Sprint's 4.5" beast come September.

oversteer325

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Yeah we don't even know officially when the Nexus-Three will come out, and then if Sprint will get it right away too ? I would guess the N-3 comes out in December, like the last two Nexus releases, and all the buzz seems to be with Verizon getting it, and who knows if Sprint, T-Mobile, or ATT will get at the same time, or not until May 2012 ?

The Galaxy S2 for sure is coming soon, and it will be no slouch, most likely the top Android device until the Nexus-Three comes out, and I am sure the XDA crew will get "Ice Cream" ported to the Galaxy S2 as fast as possible, I would guess the S2 will be the first phones to see Ice Cream ported over on XDA, because hardware wise and being Samsung they will be the closest thing to the N-3.

I've only heard that the next nexus is going to have the TI OMAP 4460 processor with the same GPU from the current Nexus S (PowerVR SGX540). So far reviews for TI's new OMAP processors haven't been that great so I doubt it is significantly better than the current Hummingbird processor in the Nexus S. The Galaxy S II's Exynos processor is still going to be the top performer for quite some time. Also, I want the RGB stripe matrix screen in the Super AMOLED Plus screen on the GSII. I don't want to go back to Pentile in the Prime even if it is 720p.

Mac58

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I seriously was not thinking of this until I read this post. I am really looking forward to the gs2 but the prime seems to be BEAST! And I know that the gs2 will be more than enough however i hate that we had to wait so long to get the device and because of that, it shortens the product life of being ahead of the curve. I know that there will always be something better than what we have around the corner, but the gs2 is imo the best available phone now but since we may not have it for another month, who knows what will be out in that time frame. If we had recieved it back when it was released then I would not worry about the technology being outdated as fast, but we are talking about nearly 4-5 months after initial launch. I am the the type of person who wants the newest and latest when its available and because of it I get rid of phones after about 6 months but Im worried that I wont even get this with the gs2.
Sorry for my rant, just giving my 2?

greedo698

May 22, 2011
Visit site
I've only heard that the next nexus is going to have the TI OMAP 4460 processor with the same GPU from the current Nexus S (PowerVR SGX540). So far reviews for TI's new OMAP processors haven't been that great so I doubt it is significantly better than the current Hummingbird processor in the Nexus S. The Galaxy S II's Exynos processor is still going to be the top performer for quite some time. Also, I want the RGB stripe matrix screen in the Super AMOLED Plus screen on the GSII. I don't want to go back to Pentile in the Prime even if it is 720p.

Ah interesting...Pentile..I have heard bad things about that...was there something similar to it on the GS1???

(I'm a sucker for a good display)

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Ah interesting...Pentile..I have heard bad things about that...was there something similar to it on the GS1???

(I'm a sucker for a good display)

The GS1 used a SAMOLED PenTile matrix. The GS2 improved on the screen with SAMOLED Plus, which uses a RGB Stripe matrix rather than PenTile. Some don't like PenTile as it can have a pixelated look and/or a "screen door" effect (seeing tiny squares like a screen door).

Hard to say about a HD PenTile display. We'll have to see one to know if the higher resolution offsets some of the PenTile issues. But PenTile has it's benefits too, less battery use being the most notable one.

elektro

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
the nexus prime is very tempting, but its all rumors right now. the gs2 is a solid phone, ill be getting 1 on sprint. plus just wait till the sg3 comes out, it will be better then the nexus prime. buy the gs2 now and upgrade to gs3 later :)

trentlythp

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I was tempted myself to give a couple of months after the SGSII release to see if there was any new word on the Prime because I like vanilla a little better. The more I thought about it the easier my choice became. Every Android phone I have had has been rooted. I plan on doing to the SGSII as well. All of my phones have vanilla 2.3, even my old Hero. So updates arent really a concern since we have some amazing developers on all the phones.

That being said it will probably be easier to compile stock Android for the SGSII than to port TouchWiz to the Prime. I like the ability to have more options on what ROM I want be it vanilla or TouchWiz.

For those that are waiting a for the Prime because of "better specs" I hear the Nexus Z42 is going to have an octo-core processor with a terabyte of RAM... ;)

Sorry for the long winded post

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair