I'm in a dilema. I must purchase the GS2 at retail, since my EVO3Ds 30 day return policy is over and cannot return it. Now my question is do I need to purchase the phone from Sprint and would that be easier. Or can I purchase from Samsung or online? Will there be less bloatware the alteranative way?
    08-24-2011 03:10 PM
    Unfortunately Sprint wont activate a phone that does not have their logo on it AFAIK, due to the specific radios they use. Even activating a phone made for Boost/Virgin (both subsidiaries of Sprint) can be problematic from what I've read/heard, but going from Sprint to Boost/Virgin can be done.

Otherwise I'd have gotten an Euro version GSII
    08-24-2011 03:29 PM
    If you are getting Sprints version it is going to be the same exact phone regardless of where you buy it i.e. Samsung, Sprint, or Best Buy.
    08-24-2011 03:33 PM
    Thanks Ogre, so its safer and for sure through Sprint then huh? I have some credit through NewEgg and wanted to go that route. Would Sprint possibly not activate the phone from ordering online?
    08-24-2011 03:57 PM
    Sprint should activate any Sprint branded GS2 regardless of where you buy it. However, you cannot buy the International version of the GS2 and activate it with Sprint. You can with AT&T however, due to the GSM compatibility.
    08-24-2011 04:05 PM
    Hmmm confused now since Ogre stated the radio and logo issue.
    08-24-2011 04:14 PM
    If the phone is branded as Sprint, it can be activated, but phones from other companies such as the big V, or AT&T, or international versions, cannot be activated on Sprint.

You can buy Sprint phones through other authorized dealers and have no problems activating on Sprint, or even Craig's List, as long as it's made for Sprint.
    08-24-2011 04:19 PM
    Unfortunately the Sprint version will not be released until Sept. 9 (rumored), so you must wait until then to buy one. Be wary of Sprint as they sometimes do mail-in or instant rebates (via cash card) on new phones. You might be better off buying at Best Buy or another retailer that just knocks the price off automatically and doesn't make you fiddle w/ silly rebates.
    08-24-2011 04:32 PM
    Hmmm confused now since Ogre stated the radio and logo issue.
    Look at it like this . If you wanted to take your EVO3D and use it on AT&T you couldnt because the phone was made to work on Sprints network so the GSII that came out in Europe and Canada won't work on Sprint because it wasn't wade or released for Sprint. Internally Sprint phones do not use Sim cards and for those phones you need phone to use the phone.... When ever you are considering a phone first know what kind of phones your network uses, in this case Sprint is a CDMA style company and also the type of radios the company uses. In the US Verizon also uses a CDMA style phone but the frequencies and radios are different from Sprint so you would.t be able to interchange there phones.
    AT&T if your going to use International phones will be your best best. Just make sure you read up on the phone In this case the GSII , to insure you will be able to also use there data. T- Mobile phones work on AT&T but I believe not all there phones if any can use the 3g service of AT&T.

Unfortunately the Sprint version will not be released until Sept. 9 (rumored), so you must wait until then to buy one. Be wary of Sprint as they sometimes do mail-in or instant rebates (via cash card) on new phones. You might be better off buying at Best Buy or another retailer that just knocks the price off automatically and doesn't make you fiddle w/ silly rebates.
    In his case I don't think this will matter since he already has the 3D and its passed his 30 return... He will be buying the phone out right so your best bet might be Sprint since they have the tendency to sell the phone at a better/lower price. Where ever you buy it from check that they have a good return policy and that Sprint will give you or that the Store you buy it from has a good INS . Sprint as you may already know charges 8 bucks and then a $100 charge to replace it . your Manufacturer should give you a years warranty so ask about that and how that will work. Some places make you deal with them and that could be a pain for some. I have yet to buy a phone off plan but I always dealt with Sprint for all my phones and never had any problems returning a phone or have yet to pay the $100 Fee to replace it since it was under the manufacturers warranties. Which ever way you and if you do get the GSII enjoy and good luck...
    08-24-2011 05:29 PM
    Thanks alot sndplace. Your a great help! Very informative. Ill keep all your points in mind. Thanks all for the input. You guys have been really helpfull!...and I will enjoy that SGS2!!
    08-24-2011 06:03 PM
    Now my question is do I need to purchase the phone from Sprint and would that be easier. Or can I purchase from Samsung or online? Will there be less bloatware the alteranative way?
    I'm gonna quote your post to help avoid confusion and so that I can address your questions directly.

You do not NEED to purchase the phone from Sprint, but you may want to due to price, return policy, or any other factors. Other retailers will likely be carrying Sprint's version of the Galaxy SII, such as Best Buy and Radio Shack, and maybe online retailers such as Amazon. You'll have to check though and find out if they will sell them at a full off-contract price. Some retailers only sell new phones with a contracted carrier subsidy.

You also may be able to find a brand new one on EBay or Craig's List after the phone is released. It's not uncommon for people to use their upgrade to get a subsidized price from a carrier then turn around and immediately sell it at a profit.

I don't think you'll be able to buy one directly from Samsung.

Either way, wherever you buy it, it will come with the same bloatware, because it will be the same phone, made specifically for Sprint's network.

Hope that helps clear it up!
    08-24-2011 06:06 PM
    Thanks JayWill you gave me more information to keep in mind. Much appreciated
    08-24-2011 07:13 PM
    My advice is to wait until the iPhone is released. The price of this phone will come down to compete.
    08-24-2011 09:19 PM
    My advice is to wait until the iPhone is released. The price of this phone will come down to compete.
    I highly doubt that...
    08-24-2011 11:51 PM
    I highly doubt that...
    I agree
    08-25-2011 01:48 AM
    Also be aware that most of the time buying it off contract from sprint will be cheaper. The EVO was like 700 bucks off contract at best buy. It was only 550 or so at Sprint.
    08-25-2011 11:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD