I'm in the market for my first Android phone and I'm really interested in the Sprint Epic 4G Touch when it comes out. I'm a current Sprint customer coming from webOS, and the thing I like most about webOS is that I don't have to hack my phone (use exploits) to tinker with it (modify the OS). So the unlocked bootloader on the GSII is really appealing to me. My question is: does anyone know if Sprint will buck the trend and force the bootloader to be locked? If no one knows for sure, is there any historical precedent for that e.g. Sprint locking down bootloaders that other manufacturers leave open or Samsung allowing a carrier to lock down a bootloader that they otherwise leave open?

Seems like my other option is the HTC Evo, but I've heard the official HTC process for unlocking the bootloader is less than ideal.
    cfbauer likes this.
    08-25-2011 01:50 PM
    I think Samsung will leave it as is..... and even if they don't the developers will unlock it eventually and give us detailed instructions on how to do it..... I wouldn't worry about this too much.
    cacherpaderp likes this.
    08-25-2011 05:03 PM
    I'm sure the phone can be hacked open no matter what, but for me it's a philosophical issue. I agree that Samsung would probably leave it open, but I don't trust Sprint not to make a stipulation like that, and I don't like the idea of Sprint trying to tell me what to do (or not do) with the device I own. If I can, I'd like to support a device that is unlocked out of the box.
    08-30-2011 08:58 PM
    Seems like my other option is the HTC Evo, but I've heard the official HTC process for unlocking the bootloader is less than ideal.
    If you decide not to get the GS2, the Evo is probably not the wisest choice. It's a fantastic phone, don't get me wrong, but it came out last summer. By the time your contract is up, you'll have a 3 year old phone and will be dying to get a new one. Get something that came out this year, at least.
    08-30-2011 09:09 PM
    I'm sure the phone can be hacked open no matter what, but for me it's a philosophical issue. I agree that Samsung would probably leave it open, but I don't trust Sprint not to make a stipulation like that, and I don't like the idea of Sprint trying to tell me what to do (or not do) with the device I own. If I can, I'd like to support a device that is unlocked out of the box.
    +1 which is why I'm staying away from HTC products.
    They jerked loyal base around with the lock play restricting custom freedom
    08-30-2011 09:09 PM
    You want a wide open phone, then wait until the New Nexus comes out,

or go to best buy and get the nexus S which is free.
    its a great phone and wide open, the possibilities are endless without any carrier bloat.
    Comineeyeaha likes this.
    08-30-2011 09:21 PM
    You want a wide open phone, then wait until the New Nexus comes out,

or go to best buy and get the nexus S which is free.
    My understanding is that the European Galaxy S II has an unlocked bootloader. If the Epic 4G Touch turns out to be the same, would it still be less open than a Nexus phone? If so, then in what way?
    cfbauer likes this.
    08-31-2011 09:14 AM
    It would probably be similar in ROMs compared to a Nexus device but it's not guaranteed unlocked like the Nexus is.
    08-31-2011 01:31 PM
    bootloaders are NEVER unlocked security issues
    08-31-2011 05:13 PM
    My understanding is that the European Galaxy S II has an unlocked bootloader. If the Epic 4G Touch turns out to be the same, would it still be less open than a Nexus phone? If so, then in what way?
    Because there is a lot of proprietary Samsung software code in the Galaxy phones. With the Nexus, everything comes from Google and developers can download the source code directly and customize it easily.
    09-01-2011 01:04 AM
    Only time will tell. I was under the impression that it would be.
    09-01-2011 10:01 AM
    Because there is a lot of proprietary Samsung software code in the Galaxy phones. With the Nexus, everything comes from Google and developers can download the source code directly and customize it easily.
    Again, forgive my ignorance. I was under the impression that having an unlocked bootloader gave you two options: install a custom rom (in which you would have root access), or just get root access on the stock rom that comes with your phone. With a custom rom, anything Samsung put on the phone would be a non-issue (right?). When you just root without a whole custom rom, I thought it basically just allowed you to use "requires root" apps. I must be underestimating the scale of what can be done with root-required apps (or root in general). Would some of these root-required apps be incompatible with TouchWiz or whatever else is on the phone from Samsung? Or is there some other way that Samsung software would get in the way?
    09-01-2011 03:09 PM
    if it is like the gs1 epic then it will be unlocked. samsung is pretty good about leaving their phones open for hacking, so i expect for it to be that way.
    09-01-2011 03:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD