Official Sprint Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch Announcement & Specs

solid_s_1117

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Re: Sprint Galaxy II Epic 4G Touch Specs

Slide out keyboard? There's no mention of that so I'm thinking no? Any confirmation either way on that?

I would say there is absolutely NO physical keyboard for this variant. This is based on all the press release photos, the recent spec release, and because Sprint confirmed an Epic 4G 2 later (which will undoubtedly have a keyboard).

Zorachus

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site

They call it "Ultra Thin" at 9.59mm, which to me is not thin compared to;

iPhone4 = 9.3mm
Galaxy S II = 8.49mm

But the EVO's are much thicker at around 12mm or so.

Again I scratch my head as to why Samsung and the U.S. carriers didn't release the exact same Galaxy S II that came out in April for Europe and Asia, back then ?

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

Slide out keyboard? There's no mention of that so I'm thinking no? Any confirmation either way on that?

No ... no keyboard. It would sort of conflict with the word "Touch" in the device name anyways.

Sammy2

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site

I would say there is absolutely NO physical keyboard for this variant. This is based on all the press release photos, the recent spec release, and because Sprint confirmed an Epic 4G 2 later (which will undoubtedly have a keyboard).

I thought this was the Epic 2. Guess it's the Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch ... Don't use the Epic name in this phone. When is the REAL Epic releasing? My G1 is at it's EOL. I know, G1? But I keep 'em for a while. Cannot afford a new phone every year.

boxta

May 27, 2010
Visit site

iPhone4 = 9.3mm
Galaxy S II = 8.49mm

Again I scratch my head as to why Samsung and the U.S. carriers didn't release the exact same Galaxy S II that came out in April for Europe and Asia, back then ?

One possibility is that the wimax radio require some major change done internally..

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

iPhone4 = 9.3mm
Galaxy S II = 8.49mm

I believe it will be the thinnest smartphone with a WiMax or LTE radio in it though.

Regarding the carriers, I thought we've been over this ad nauseam. US carriers want their own branded devices, to separate themselves from each other, and make money on their own branded "bloatware". The exceptions being the iPhone and to an extent, the Nexus line, for obvious reasons.

As long as there are manufacturers that are willing to accept US carrier terms, we will continue to see branded devices that take way too long to reach the consumer.

Zorachus

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site

Currently own a rooted custom ROM Nexus-S 4G, love this phone. But how can I pass up a phone with twice the speed, dual cores vs single core, more RAM, and the beautiful Super AMOLED+ screen, over the old AMOLED screen tech.

Root this new Sprint Galaxy S II, and throw on a stock vanilla Android ROM, and it will be the baddest phone ever. And soon the XDA crew will port over the Droid-Prime OS = the brand new Android 4.0 Ice Cream, shortly after it gets released.

Phenom

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site

Yup. I'll be at Best Buy Sept. 9 (or whenever the launch is, once confirmed) when doors open. I was looking at AT&T's Samsung Infuse and figured this would be around the same size. It's a BIG phone, but not too big where it will be a burden. Perfect for internet and streaming vids. Can't wait.

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

Same here looked at the Infuse and wasn't turned off by the size fits like a glove... just bummed about no NFC announced but there is still hope . just 40 mins left for the live blog

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

From the fact sheet on Sprint's announcement:

? Dimensions: 2.7 inches x 5.1 inches x 0.38 inches (LxWxT)
? Weight: 4.55 ounces
? Display: 4.52-inch Super AMOLDED Plus (800x480 WVGA) touchscreen
? Battery: 1800 mAh Lithium-ion battery

So there's confirmation on the resolution and battery.

Phenom

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site

At this screen size they should have drop a 2000 mah battery in there.

LOL. People are never satisfied. Just watched the webcast. Very excited about this phone, especially since I have about $200 worth of Best Buy gift cards sitting at home!

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

yea saw it on ustream... if they would have put in a 2000 mah bat you might have said they should have put 2300 mah lol

whatsitsname

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site

Nope cause the Infuse has the 4.5 inch screen and a 1750 mah battery, but it's battery life is not that great (even horrible).

I think Motorola has the best idea. Put a 1930 mah battery on a 4 inch screen phone.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

I was fairly convinced with the mention of this phone being Google Talk enabled, but this hands on video confirms it's running 2.3.4. Glad to see them not pulling a fast one with a slightly older version of Gingerbread.

andyp714

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site

does anyone know if this has the chip that enables the leapfrog project for better 3g signals like the evo 3d?

salzion

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Re: Official Sprint Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch Announcement & Spec

alright, for those talking about it being rooted, or whether or not it's going to be rooted, samsun personallly sent out some of the S2s to people before they were to be launched to ask them to get cyanogen mod 7 to work on it. if that's not enough to think about it getting rooted, i don't know what is.

you can read partially about it here.

been waiting awhile for this phone....few things i dislike about it, but will be happy if i'm able to actually get one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18