Official Sprint Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch Announcement & Specs

DuStU

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Re: Official Sprint Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch Announcement & Spec

This phone's specs and pure beauty made me finally decide to make the jump from webOS. I love WebOS very much but there was no way I would use a limited IOS and none of the windows phones are as sexy as this phone. I preordered today at my local sprint store in NYC! What amazes me too is how much Androids operating system has grown since I last checked it out. Im excited! :cool:

Reactions: VuNasty

jreese33

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site

So tired of my EVO after the GB update. Definitely gonna upgrade to the Samsung...come one friday!!!

pre1561

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site

I've got an EVO now, this sounds like a really good upgrade. I'm interested but for one thing, is the S2 going to have the stupid swype keyboard? If it does I'm going to have to find a 3rd party keyboard app.

Riboflavin

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site

I've got an EVO now, this sounds like a really good upgrade. I'm interested but for one thing, is the S2 going to have the stupid swype keyboard? If it does I'm going to have to find a 3rd party keyboard app.

This phone comes with Samsung's TouchWiz keyboard as well as the swype keyboard

dmbatson

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

what is this "Optional USB Host kit for connection keyboards, cameras, printers and thumb drives"?

Like i can plug a old fashioned USB keyboard in to the phone with a adapter??
if so that would be sweet since i like to play emulators like n64oid and that would save m from buying the "phonejoy" gamepad or any bluetooth keyboard (that supports HID).

:):)
I can't wait for this phone. Feel like I am drooling over it.

also in a way i am hoping it has FM Radio. I tend to listen to the radio alot more than my iPod and switching between iHeartradio and Tunein is annoying just to change between my 2 favorite stations..

expertzero1

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

what is this "Optional USB Host kit for connection keyboards, cameras, printers and thumb drives"?

if so that would be sweet since i like to play emulators like n64oid and that would save m from buying the "phonejoy" gamepad or any bluetooth keyboard (that supports HID).

also in a way i am hoping it has FM Radio. I tend to listen to the radio alot more than my iPod and switching between iHeartradio and Tunein is annoying just to change between my 2 favorite stations..

i think it does have a fm radio, i saw some comparison specs early today if i remembered correctly

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

Yes you can connect a thumb drive into it and it willl read and keyboard too. If you search youtube you will find several videos on it. you can even connect a BT mouse and use that to navigate the phone. This phone is great can't wait.

Zorachus

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site

Reading this recent review of the international GalaxyS2;
AnandTech - Samsung Galaxy S 2 (International) Review - The Best, Redefined

WiFi, GPS

The SGS2 has both 2.4 and 5 GHz WiFi connectivity courtesy of Broadcom?s newest combo chip, the BCM4330. It is the logical successor to BCM4329, which we saw adopted darn-well almost universally in the previous generation, from the iPhone 4 to SGS1. BCM4330 still is a single spatial stream combo solution, but what?s different is that alongside Bluetooth 4.0+HS support is an on-chip power amp for 5 GHz WLAN in addition to last gen?s 2.4 GHz

That puts SGS2 in an incredibly small list of smartphones that include 5 GHz WLAN support, which is critical going forwards as the 2.4 GHz ISM band gets even more crowded.

Are we getting the BCM4330 chip ?

Reactions: Slingbox

Slingbox

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site

Reading this recent review of the international GalaxyS2;
AnandTech - Samsung Galaxy S 2 (International) Review - The Best, Redefined

WiFi, GPS

The SGS2 has both 2.4 and 5 GHz WiFi connectivity courtesy of Broadcom?s newest combo chip, the BCM4330. It is the logical successor to BCM4329, which we saw adopted darn-well almost universally in the previous generation, from the iPhone 4 to SGS1. BCM4330 still is a single spatial stream combo solution, but what?s different is that alongside Bluetooth 4.0+HS support is an on-chip power amp for 5 GHz WLAN in addition to last gen?s 2.4 GHz

That puts SGS2 in an incredibly small list of smartphones that include 5 GHz WLAN support, which is critical going forwards as the 2.4 GHz ISM band gets even more crowded.

Are we getting the BCM4330 chip ?

Real good stuff

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

My questions is whether or not the Sprint S2 will get the upgraded WiFi chip too ?

According to the wifi certification, the E4GT also has 5ghz WLAN support. Because of this, I would assume it uses the same wifi radio as the International version. Here are links to wifi certification reports, which includes the International Galaxy SII, the Epic 4G Touch, and the Motorola Photon for comparison purposes. You'll notice the Photon does not have a "1" under 5ghz, while the two Galaxy SIIs do.

GT-i9100 - http://certifications.wi-fi.org/pdf_certificate.php?cid=WFA11164

SPH-D710 - http://certifications.wi-fi.org/pdf_certificate.php?cid=WFA11180

Moto Photon - http://certifications.wi-fi.org/pdf_certificate.php?cid=WFA11652

Zorachus

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site

According to the wifi certification, the E4GT also has 5ghz WLAN support. Because of this, I would assume it uses the same wifi radio as the International version. Here are links to wifi certification reports, which includes the International Galaxy SII, the Epic 4G Touch, and the Motorola Photon for comparison purposes. You'll notice the Photon does not have a "1" under 5ghz, while the two Galaxy SIIs do.

GT-i9100 - http://certifications.wi-fi.org/pdf_certificate.php?cid=WFA11164

SPH-D710 - http://certifications.wi-fi.org/pdf_certificate.php?cid=WFA11180

Moto Photon - http://certifications.wi-fi.org/pdf_certificate.php?cid=WFA11652

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

us1gvega

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site

it does but also samsungs regular keyboard

BIGCOIN#AC

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site

Sorry for this being my first post but I will be trading in my evo 3d for the epic touch tomorrow since I am within my 30 days with Sprint and wanted to know if the phone offers a status indicator/led or will I need to use an app like NOLED like I do on my evo3d?

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

Sorry for this being my first post but I will be trading in my evo 3d for the epic touch tomorrow since I am within my 30 days with Sprint and wanted to know if the phone offers a status indicator/led or will I need to use an app like NOLED like I do on my evo3d?

Amazingly, this phone does indeed have a notification LED. It's on the top right on the face of the phone, and shows up on some of the hands on reviews and videos from the Samsung launch event.

Reactions: BIGCOIN#AC

BIGCOIN#AC

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site

Thats wonderful news, thanks. Now I am licking my chops even more to get my greedy hands on this phone tomorrow. I love my evo but I think this sammy is gonna be all that and a bag of chips. Do you know if the led/status indicator in the sammy is a multicolor one like that found on the older BB Storm phone which was customizable? It would be nice to be able to customize for different alerts.

Riboflavin

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site

i think i've seen the LED Notifier light up in both blue and red. Not sure if you can customize it or if that is even final.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

The only notification LED color I've seen so far is blue, and the only thing I can find in the user guide about LED notification settings is that you can set it to flash, or not flash. This isn't conclusive but all I can add at this point.

anon(406518)

Jul 13, 2011
www.theadultgamer.com

The only notification LED color I've seen so far is blue, and the only thing I can find in the user guide about LED notification settings is that you can set it to flash, or not flash. This isn't conclusive but all I can add at this point.

I saw in one of the review or unboxing videos the LED was red while the phone was charging.