For comparison (PPI):
    iPhone 3GS: 163
    iPhone 4: 326
    Palm Pre: 186
    Galaxy S: 233
    Motorola Photon: 275
    HTC EVO:216
    HTC EVO 3D: 256

Numbers either pulled from the phones wikipedia article or calculated using this.

PPI is about taking the jagged edges out of lines that are not going straight horizontal or vertical. Most reviewers for most phones ignore jaggies and comment on colors. Going by the raw numbers the S2 is a step back in terms of PPI (the trolls point). Retina displays are between 300 and 500 PPI depending mostly on what source you read. The S2 being a super... screen probably means the color range should be unmatched.

I'm ok with the 200ish PPI. I never noticed them on my Palm Pre in games or pictures. I do notice the nicer colors of my Nexus S but for some reason find it easier to see the pixels and jaggies. Maybe I just haven't scuffed the Nexus S screen enough to get a smoothing anti-aliasing effect. :-p
    how does the photon have a higher ppi than the evo3d? they both have the same screen size and resolution. except the photon has a pentile matrix subpixel structure.
    08-31-2011 06:55 AM
    To each there own. This Phone will be the best one out and the Screen will look great. When they showed yesterday it would have been said. would you see anything ? sure. And the more you look past the photo or words the more you will see it. Also some people have really good eyes and could pick up a very minute
    things that we/I just can't. Like every phone out there some will love it some won't and some it wouldn't bother to much. 9/16 will be a great day for me.... :O)
    08-31-2011 09:07 AM
    So the og EVO has more ppi, what a step back! It will be real noticeable on such a big screen, I would think!

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk
    ppi takes into consideration the size of the screen. The truth is, no one is going to notice a 9ppi difference. No one can actually perceive a 9ppi difference.

The other thing to consider is that resolution in and of itself lags behind many other factors including contrast ratio (of which SAMOLED is infinite) in determining perception of detail.

I'd rather have a higher resolution for apps like remote desktop and web surfing to fit more on the screen at once, but this is in no way a dealbreaker.

If you ask anyone who has seen any of the qHD LCD screens and the SAMOLED Plus screens firsthand, almost all of them will tell you that the lower res SAMOLED Plus screen smokes any of the LCD screens. So obviously, resolution and ppi as a function are not the only things to consider.
    08-31-2011 09:18 AM

Those that want to troll on resolution spec take your 3D etc to AT&T and set it next to Infuse.
    You will find Infuse delivers superior visual compared to your current toy.
    From there Come back to forum and apologize for your negative GS2 postings

PS
    Lets all get along after all we are Android Family
    08-31-2011 09:28 AM
    Keep in mind that the original Galaxy s had a PENTILE scree....whole different animal relative to pixels.
    Exactly
    08-31-2011 09:52 AM
    how does the photon have a higher ppi than the evo3d? they both have the same screen size and resolution. except the photon has a pentile matrix subpixel structure.
    Display 960540 px, 4.3 in (10.9 cm) at 256 ppi qHD Super-LCD (0.49 megapixels) Autostereoscopic 3D-capable (glasses-free)

Display 4.3-inch 960540 px qHD TFT LCD at 275 ppi, 16 M colors, Gorilla Glass
    Using the tool I posted in my link 4.3 inches at that resolution is 256PPI. A 4.0 inch yields 275PPI.

There's a lot that can be going wrong with the wikipedia numbers. Someone could be reporting the incorrect resolution of their device. Someone could be using the screen length (not display length) when measuring the screen. Someone could have added to the articles maliciously to make one phones specs to be better (since most people compare and don't recalculate, like we did until now). There's a lot more possibilities but the only way to nip this in the butt is to get actual measurements of the actual display size and maybe even go as far as counting pixels.

As far as this thread is concerned, Galaxy S2 has fewer PPI than more recent high end phone releases. As many are pointing out, it mostly depends on the person holding it. I'll probably notice because I notice these things since all of my monitor purchases have been well thought out and researched since I bought my first 1600x1200 20"CRT. (Remember, if color and pixel density were really important to most people, we'd all probably still be using CRTs for everything not portable).
    08-31-2011 12:20 PM
    PPI is only half the equation, it only tells you how many pixels there are on the screen. It doesn't tell you how big the pixels are, how close together they are or how many subpixels comprise the pixel. A screen that has pixels with three large sub pixels that are the same shape is going to have a lot less blank space than a screen with two irregularly shaped sub pixels per pixel. This is why the plus screens at 4.5 inches look better then the regular super amoled at 4". Look at a closeup of a super amoled and super amoled plus screen next to each other to see what I'm talking about.

Daily Mobile News How much better is the Super AMOLED Plus display?
    Nrbelex likes this.
    08-31-2011 01:11 PM
    yeah i agree screen should look beautiful but isnt samsung the company that was working on a new 720 pixel screen should of done qhd atleast
    08-31-2011 05:23 PM
    nd used entire while they were at it so it would look like the window screen photon. That screen drove me nuts.
    08-31-2011 05:58 PM
    ppi takes into consideration the size of the screen. Th[HL]e truth is, no one is going to notice a 9ppi difference. No one can actually perceive a 9ppi difference.[/HL]

The other thing to consider is that resolution in and of itself lags behind many other factors including contrast ratio (of which SAMOLED is infinite) in determining perception of detail.

I'd rather have a higher resolution for apps like remote desktop and web surfing to fit more on the screen at once, but this is in no way a dealbreaker.

[HL]If you ask anyone who has seen any of the qHD LCD screens and the SAMOLED Plus screens firsthand, almost all of them will tell you that the lower res SAMOLED Plus screen smokes any of the LCD screens.[/HL] So obviously, resolution and ppi as a function are not the only things to consider.
    Not true at all. I have the 3D and recently sold an infuse. Screen on the infuse looks great color wise but boy the pixels are very noticeable. Especially so when surfing the web and reading text. Even the 3d video playback was much finer, or crisper as the pixel disparity was very evident. That being said the Pros of the GS2 4G touch far outweighs the cons and I think it blows the 3D away. Not to mention the the vividness and vibrancy of the Samsung screen offsets the pixel advantage of the 3D. I am just saying that to anyone with good vision the difference is readily apparent. BTW, there is no way the pixel difference could be only 9, 90 maybe but not 9 lol....
    09-01-2011 04:02 PM
    PPI is only half the equation, it only tells you how many pixels there are on the screen. It doesn't tell you how big the pixels are, how close together they are or how many subpixels comprise the pixel. A screen that has pixels with three large sub pixels that are the same shape is going to have a lot less blank space than a screen with two irregularly shaped sub pixels per pixel. This is why the plus screens at 4.5 inches look better then the regular super amoled at 4". Look at a closeup of a super amoled and super amoled plus screen next to each other to see what I'm talking about.

Daily Mobile News How much better is the Super AMOLED Plus display?
    This is also nonsense. The new samsung pixel configuration is just basically bringing the screen up to standard, to a true 480*800 count instead of the effectively lower count than before on the galaxy series. Text on the super amoled plus actually looks worse than on an EVO4g because the screen is .2 inches larger - the Evo4g never had a resolution issue. The only screens that the text will be an improvement over in reference to the old 480*800 resolution is other amoled screens with the old subpixel configuration. Don't be fooled, 480*800 is still the same, it is not close to QHD.
    09-01-2011 04:10 PM
    What is going to make this display so special is that it uses a true RGB not RGBG as seen in the pentile(?) displays. You will get a true display without that extra sub pixel of green in it. That is why all the moto phones that have come out lately with that crappy pentile display can't produce colors correctly. Who want a sharper screen that can't display colors right? Besides with the true black that Samsung can reach with their displays it will always look better compared to any LCD screen. My G/F's DX screen lights up the whole room when in clock mode where as my NS4G clock looks like its hovering in the dark.

Another thing. What the hell are you looking at on a tiny screen that you need HD quality for?
    09-01-2011 04:16 PM
    The screen specs don't matter. Go look at it. Try it out. See if you like it.

Right now you can go to Fry's and see the Galaxy S II from Europe. See what you think. This is 0.25" bigger.
    sndplace likes this.
    09-01-2011 09:17 PM
    Not true at all. I have the 3D and recently sold an infuse. Screen on the infuse looks great color wise but boy the pixels are very noticeable. Especially so when surfing the web and reading text. Even the 3d video playback was much finer, or crisper as the pixel disparity was very evident. That being said the Pros of the GS2 4G touch far outweighs the cons and I think it blows the 3D away. Not to mention the the vividness and vibrancy of the Samsung screen offsets the pixel advantage of the 3D. I am just saying that to anyone with good vision the difference is readily apparent. BTW, there is no way the pixel difference could be only 9, 90 maybe but not 9 lol....
    Actually, I was comparing the E4GT ppi to the Evo, not the Evo 3D. The difference between the E4GT and Evo screens is around 9ppi.

And while you may not be "blown away", you also agree that the SAMOLED plus screen is overall better than the qHD LCD screen, which was my point -- most people prefer SAMOLED plus to qHD LCD, and that you can't take resolution out of context and expect it to be meaningful.
    09-02-2011 08:22 AM
    What am I missing that the Photon and EVO 3D have the same resolution and screen size but the Photon has 275 ppi to 256 to the 3D's 256?
    09-02-2011 12:25 PM
    I just went to a store to check out ATT Infuse, 3D, Photon, to compare with my EVO 4G. Yes, the Photon's pentile matrix is very noticeable. I can see some matrix lines on the screen. And when I compare the text on the browser between my EVO 4G and Infuse, I do some see more pixelated in the Infuse, but not that much different though. Overall, I still like the screen on the Infuse. I just placed a preorder at Sprint.
    09-02-2011 02:07 PM
    I just went to a store to check out ATT Infuse, 3D, Photon, to compare with my EVO 4G. Yes, the Photon's pentile matrix is very noticeable. I can see some matrix lines on the screen. And when I compare the text on the browser between my EVO 4G and Infuse, I do some see more pixelated in the Infuse, but not that much different though. Overall, I still like the screen on the Infuse. I just placed a preorder at Sprint.
    I hadn't seen a pentile in real life yet either til today when I saw the photon at the sprint store. Yeah the screen is bright but I was surprised how noticeable the pixels were. It honestly looked like crap. Very much like Looking though a screen door. Some colors were more nori able than others. I had seen the screen on the infuse before and it was stunning, even with the lower resolution.
    09-02-2011 03:00 PM
    I hadn't seen a pentile in real life yet either til today when I saw the photon at the sprint store. Yeah the screen is bright but I was surprised how noticeable the pixels were. It honestly looked like crap. Very much like Looking though a screen door. Some colors were more nori able than others. I had seen the screen on the infuse before and it was stunning, even with the lower resolution.
    My wife had a photon for a week and yes the pentile is noticeable BUT after using it for about 2 hours I kind of got used to it. I still wouldn't have one though because I have my heart set on the E4GT.
    09-02-2011 05:08 PM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD