No NFC for Sprint, ATT version has it.

taylormah

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
While I was already disappointed E4T didn't get NFC, knowing Att and Tmobile versions have it adds little salt to the injury. I dont know much about the wimax issue in Nexus S 4G, but was it fixed or is it something of really big concern??

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
From what I understand it was a firmware problem, not hardware, so one would assume that Samsung figured it out and we won't see the same WiMax issue with the E4GT.

Regarding NFC, we knew this just from looking at the FCC docs. It's a bit of a bummer that Sprint opted not to include it but it's definitely not a deal breaker for me. I try to picture myself swiping my phone across a device at Starbucks, and I'm just not seeing it. I still prefer to carry my wallet around. I guess to put it simply, I don't see what all the hubub is about.

dc1225

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
While I was already disappointed E4T didn't get NFC, knowing Att and Tmobile versions have it adds little salt to the injury. I dont know much about the wimax issue in Nexus S 4G, but was it fixed or is it something of really big concern??
Yeah, completely agree with you on all points along with they used the same problem child wimax chip found on nexus....I would be getting the iphone but I really want the 4.5 screen.

chuckz28

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I really don't see myself ever using it anyway. Same goes for the front facing camera. I'll take the led notification over NFC any day.

jfenton

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
From what I've been reading there really isn't much of anyplace to use NFC currently and won't be for at least another year?

To be honest, I could care less :)

taylormah

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Eh. I'll take an LED notification light over NFC :)

Me too!! Even though I probably won't use NFC to replace my wallet anytime soon, I still wanted it for other benefits like one touch to transfer files and contact info between devices and also because I am starting android development and have some ideas for NFC. I need a NFC device to test my apps, but I absolutely want a GSII on Sprint, and I dont want to pay for a second device just for NFC hardware.

Phenom

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
NFC is for football, not phones. Even if the S II had it, I would be disabling mine. I have zero use (or interest) in it.

Latteart

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Kinda pissed about this.I thought Sprint and Google wallet were going to make a great team but I guess they wanted thinner over function. Bummer.

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I wish it had it just to have it but someone posted on the live blog Tuesday and you can Google it. There are SD cards that have NFC built into them so you can get that instead . I also saw a post , in AC I believe that says the phone has the software in it so if true then we need just the hardware.

DataHawg

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
The best site I've found to find out more about NFC is NFCRumors.com. They cover SD cards and Sim Cards for GSM phones that should be available soon but apparently those options will not have all the capabilities of the built in chips. One article has a headline "NFC POS TERMINALS FOR ONE THIRD OF MERCHANTS WITHIN THE NEXT YEAR SAYS ERIC SCHMIDT" Sorry about the caps but I copied and pasted the headline. Google has big plans for Wallet and with a company as innovative as they are, I think many of us will be surprised by what we will be able to do with it in the future.

madkaw

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
I could care less about the NFC chip, the writers are making a big deal out of the wimax chip too. They fixed the nexus a while back so to assume the epic touch will have the same problem is a little far fetched to me. This phone is so awesome they have to find something to gripe about.

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Yes i think for a phone that will be a 2 year phone for some and NFC being a tool that business people will use that have this phone in the near future. It should have had it. BUT im still getting this. 2 more weeks aahhhhh.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC