Prerequisite dose of salt here:

Just got off the phone with a non-corporate Sprint outlet, and the guy there said the release date for the E4GT has been pushed back to the 18th. Anyone else hear something similar?

I really hope this isn't the case!
    09-03-2011 11:16 AM
    Not according to my corporate store but even if it is.....it's a mere two days and hardly worth worrying about unless you have a return deadline for something else which falls into that time period.
    09-03-2011 12:26 PM
    It would be a serious pain for me because I go out of town the 17th
    09-03-2011 01:01 PM
    I just got off a chat with sales and they posted the 16th
    09-03-2011 01:09 PM
    A Sunday release would be really unusual.
    09-03-2011 01:18 PM
    I know sometimes the non corporate stores don't get the phone until a couple of days later. That is what I was told from a non corporate store in the mall in my area.
    09-03-2011 01:35 PM
    Sunday releases are the norm for Sprint.
    09-03-2011 02:37 PM
    Sunday has been Sprints release dates in the past but Sprint will be the first carrier to carry the GSII and At&T is releasing theirs on the 18th so in order for Sprint to keep their "first" to market statement then they would need to release it as stated on the 16th... And why would you want to bum me out.. I am already stressed that i have to wait till then.. This thread is just not right and should be deleted for causing me emotional damage. Judy Sheindlin here I come.
    09-03-2011 06:10 PM
    Hey I'm hoping its not true just as much as you are!
    09-03-2011 06:17 PM
    18th is ATT release non-corp rep got carrier confused
    milominderbinde likes this.
    09-04-2011 08:16 AM
    According to my corporate store they will have them available for sale the morning of the 16th.
    09-04-2011 12:52 PM
    #WINNER
    09-04-2011 10:05 PM
    That's right. The 16th let's Sprint be the first to market.

The Sprint Epic 4G Touch is coming out on the 16th.
    09-06-2011 10:58 AM
    Anyone have any experience with Best Buy and Sprint phones ? Was wondering how long it generally took for BB to get a phone after release day assuming they carry it. Since my initial purchase was through BB I have to make the exchange there. Hoping it wont be too long after.
    09-06-2011 03:36 PM
    I was told by a best buy Rep that they tend to be appprox two monthes behind because they are cheaper. One company pulled a phone from them all together because they had it so cheap. I can testify that I got a deal there...$1 fascinate...list at best buy was $49 and list at vzw$159. Best buy price matches...worth the wait imo

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
    09-06-2011 03:41 PM
    BB has phones as soon as they are available. I recently got my Photon there on launch day...along with two replacements within the first week and a half before I finally gave up.

The "'BB gets their phones two months later cause they are cheaper is simply not true.
    09-06-2011 03:53 PM
    Holy hell I almost dropped my phone when I saw that two month thing lol. I was thinking more along the lines of 2-3 days later if not on launch. Saw that and freaked. Hopefully they do have them on launch day. Seems weird them not taking orders for it though.
    09-06-2011 04:02 PM
    BB has phones as soon as they are available. I recently got my Photon there on launch day...along with two replacements within the first week and a half before I finally gave up.

The "'BB gets their phones two months later cause they are cheaper is simply not true.
    Not to argue...it is the case however with some phones. At this time you cannot get a baby bold touch from there. The salesman told me that is the norm for some phones. I have t done a phone by phone comp but it is the case with some.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
    09-06-2011 04:42 PM
    Got my Evo there on release day.
    09-06-2011 04:55 PM
    The date is definitely the 16th.
    09-06-2011 04:55 PM
    Release day? After that Nexus 4G radio debacle? No thanks.

Frankly, I love the specs, but will need to see two things before I buy a Samsung handset:

1) Real-world reviews of radio performance (cell and wifi)
    2) a 2.3 upgrade for the original Epic

Otherwise, I will either wait or go with something else...like the Photon. Frankly, I think the screen issues are a tad overblown.
    09-06-2011 10:30 PM
    Sprint traditionally releases phones on Sunday actually
    09-09-2011 04:37 AM
    Release day? After that Nexus 4G radio debacle? No thanks.

Frankly, I love the specs, but will need to see two things before I buy a Samsung handset:

1) Real-world reviews of radio performance (cell and wifi)
    2) a 2.3 upgrade for the original Epic

Otherwise, I will either wait or go with something else...like the Photon. Frankly, I think the screen issues are a tad overblown.
    Not everyone has had these radio problems. The Epic already has 2.3 via rooting and will be getting it OTA very soon. The Photon is a great phone and I have yet to see it on. I know that i can look at my wifes Evo4g and it looks fine but next to my Epic it looks OK. If your starring at the screen like 2 inches from your face and are looking for defects, you will probably find something....

But people should buy a phone for what it can do today and what you want it to do tomorrow. If you want a phone that guaranteed to get ICS then wait for the phones that will have it come out. If what this phone has will do what you need it to (and it will ) then get this baby and enjoy. Sammy is rated #1 for a reason and it ain't because its cheap...
    09-09-2011 07:43 AM
    Not everyone has had these radio problems. The Epic already has 2.3 via rooting and will be getting it OTA very soon. The Photon is a great phone and I have yet to see it on. I know that i can look at my wifes Evo4g and it looks fine but next to my Epic it looks OK. If your starring at the screen like 2 inches from your face and are looking for defects, you will probably find something....

But people should buy a phone for what it can do today and what you want it to do tomorrow. If you want a phone that guaranteed to get ICS then wait for the phones that will have it come out. If what this phone has will do what you need it to (and it will ) then get this baby and enjoy. Sammy is rated #1 for a reason and it ain't because its cheap...
    Well, I'll be the first to say that I don't believe that any gadget is "future-proof". I am an old engineer and computer scientist, so I am not that naive.

That said, I don't agree with "people should buy a phone for what it can do today and what you want it to do tomorrow". I buy a phone looking at how useful it will be during the two-year contract term, over which its true cost has been amortized (and built into the contract). It's the same reason that I only compare phone costs by adding the initial cost to 24 times the monthly fee...and don't get excited about wirefly offers...especially given other monthly discounts available to me.

There is also no way that I will buy a wireless communication device without seeing reviews of the unit's radios. Given that such hardware is carrier-specific in the States, I feel that I have no data available now on which to base such assessments...and while not everyone had (or at least reported) issues with the N4G, a shocking number of people reported them...including dozens of reviews/reports that I personally read that indicated the phone could not maintain a reliable connection to a wifi AP located several feet away. Also, as an EE, I know that not everything can be fixed in software (i.e., a subsequent OS or firmware update).

Personally, I'll wait....and hold off until I see more than anecdotal reports of radio performance.
    sndplace likes this.
    09-09-2011 11:56 AM
    I understand. i wasn't poking or starting anything. I don't take your or any comment here to seriously , everyone has an opinion, experience or a reason to like or dislike a phone. Some times people complain about anything . this phone is a device good enough for 2 years no problem. The OG droid with its custom roms or not still doing a pretty good job today.(those that still work) my friend had his and was fine with it.
    He used it normally and if he didnt go and drop it in 2 feet of water , it would still be fine today... For most people the device the way it is today will do everything they need it to do for the next 2 years if they are not premier customers and thats who the carriers answer to since we here make up a very little market to them. you have every right to wait and see what the reviews will be . I have been waiting for this phone and knowing how good the Epic4g was to me I dont think this will disappoint.I appreciated your comments and experience...
    scuba_steve likes this.
    09-09-2011 04:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD