Am I Insane?

Thunder82

May 23, 2011
Visit site
I've been wanting an SGS2 since UK release and it really sounds like the Epic 4g touch is the ideal device for me. I currently have a Droid Charge with an unlimited LTE plan ... am I insane for considering a switch to Sprint for this phone?

I know the Nexus Prime is a rumor for Verizon, but ... its Verizon. I just don't see a nexus device coming to Verizon. Something tells me that Verizon expects the Bionic to be its flagship LTE device for a good while and I hate moto devices and their choice of screens.

Anyone have any thoughts? Would you ditch an unlimited LTE plan for this device?

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

thekarens

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Open a second account, try out the Epic Touch and Sprint service in your area and then decide. If you're in a good Sprint area it's not crazy.

Thunder82

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback, kind of what I had been thinking about doing. I'm sure Sprints 3G network is comparable to Verizon, but obviously the 4G is a different story. Verizon's LTE network has been pretty awesome tbh.

chuckz28

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I'm switching. I don't think it's too crazy. It helps since sprint offers a 125$ service credit for switching a line over to a smartphone plan with a 2 year contract. I pre ordered my gs2's the other day. I'm fed up with all Verizon's phone lineups and continual price increases

locationman52

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I think you should make the switch. I couldn't imagine paying the kind of price Verizon gets for their service. I have talked several of my friends into switching to Sprint and they're all happy. One does mention that she had a little better service with Verizon but it isn't worth the difference in price.

nickmiller71

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, if you feel like shelving out $80.00+ a month for service, it could be an OK deal. Otherwise, you might want to rethink it. AT&T and T-Mobile will be offering similar variants at relatively cheaper contract price points, so think about that too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

youngjediboy

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
Don't forget that Sprint is the only major carrier now that actually offers real unlimited data while Verizon and AT&T has limits and tiers. How long that will last we may never know... hopefully Sprint won't follow the rest.

androidpirate

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback, kind of what I had been thinking about doing. I'm sure Sprints 3G network is comparable to Verizon, but obviously the 4G is a different story. Verizon's LTE network has been pretty awesome tbh.

current sprint customer here, i average around 200-450kbps download on 3G. this is in a major metro city. for 4G, i average 2-4mbps. leaves a lot to be desired, especially for 3G.

Dissident

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, if you feel like shelving out $80.00+ a month for service, it could be an OK deal. Otherwise, you might want to rethink it. AT&T and T-Mobile will be offering similar variants at relatively cheaper contract price points, so think about that too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

This comment seems odd to me. I am an ATT customer and when comparing plans Sprint is about $20 a month cheaper and gives the added benefit of unlimited data.

Thunder82

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, ATT and Tmobiles tiered data is god awful, I certainly couldn't go there. Even Verizon's new pricing is bad, hence my dilema as I have a grandfathered unlimited LTE plan at this point. Shelling out just north of $200/mo for two lines is getting old though, especially considering I can never get the handsets I want.

Think ill open a second line and try it out for a few weeks either way.

eric3316

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Sprint's 3G has been horrible lately but they must know that and I am hoping they will do something about it soon! Also, I believe they will be combining Nextel's frequency so building penetration will be a lot better as well for compatible devices which include the EVO 3D as well as the GS2.

I think I heard they will start rolling this out by EOY.

gaveup

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
Not for anything, but I was considering doing the same thing, but from AT&T to sprint.

After going to a local sprint store and seeing that 3G on full reception only got 800kbps down and 4g was getting 3mbps down I quickly changed my mind.

Fwiw in south Florida atts 3G on full bars got me 3.7mbps is the sprint store right next to the evo3d I tried. Wifi wad disabled on both.

Based on that test, I've decided to stick with AT&T as I can imagine their "4g" is slightly faster as well. Not to mention their "4g" coverage map extends to my work, where sprints is about 4 miles too short.

thekarens

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, ATT and Tmobiles tiered data is god awful, I certainly couldn't go there. Even Verizon's new pricing is bad, hence my dilema as I have a grandfathered unlimited LTE plan at this point. Shelling out just north of $200/mo for two lines is getting old though, especially considering I can never get the handsets I want.

Think ill open a second line and try it out for a few weeks either way.

I pay $200 a month for 4 lines 1500 minutes, free to any cell, unlimited text and data.

As far as speeds go it really does depend on where you live. I get both great 3G and 4g speeds where I live (major metropolitan city) but I almost never use 4g because it's a battery hog.

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I'm always on 3G as well . unless your a heavy data user and need to download big files it pretty muhc the same... those are test and i get about 5 to 6 here on 4G . I do understand thou it the speeds are there when you need to use it stay with whats and who's best for you... Pay about 150 total on that same plan after discounts... 2 4G phones here and insured.

trentlythp

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I guess it's because I live in a smaller market (about 200,000) but I get about 1.5 on average for 3G and 12 on average for 4G. So I am loving it.

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I guess it's because I live in a smaller market (about 200,000) but I get about 1.5 on average for 3G and 12 on average for 4G. So I am loving it.

I don't why but the Evo sees way better 4G scores then the Epic. I always see 10's and up when 4G scores are posted from Evo owners .

rukshmani

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Re: Am I Insane? --- NO

I've been wanting an SGS2 since UK release and it really sounds like the Epic 4g touch is the ideal device for me. I currently have a Droid Charge with an unlimited LTE plan ... am I insane for considering a switch to Sprint for this phone?

I know the Nexus Prime is a rumor for Verizon, but ... its Verizon. I just don't see a nexus device coming to Verizon. Something tells me that Verizon expects the Bionic to be its flagship LTE device for a good while and I hate moto devices and their choice of screens.

Anyone have any thoughts? Would you ditch an unlimited LTE plan for this device?

No you are not. I was with sprint from 2003 till Feb 2011, switched From Sprint EVO to Verizon to try a phone which hase shout out I (am a ) Phone, missed android so gave it up as soon as Charge came out. Then realized I do not need 17 mb download speed.When at work inside the building I do not need more then 700-1000 kb and outside if I get even 4 mb its good for me. I was generally getting 1.5-2 mb in side the building and 6 mb or so outside. Verizon will never have a true Nexus phone and I hate their bloatware and verizon loves Motorola I hate motorola except for their cable modem. Verizon charges for VVM which in my opinion should be free. So I am coming back to sprint with Epic Touch, I will miss my old 27% discount on top of SERO plan, but that is fine.

Reactions: Thunder82

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Just don't go to New York City, Sprint only piggy backs off VZW. If you don't travel, and have good connectivity, ditch the red monster :)

Reactions: Thunder82

Thunder82

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the thoughts/information guys. I went and pre-ordered one this afternoon, will spend a week or two with a random number before porting my Verizon number over.

I do travel for work every week, mostly between Chicago and Las Vegas - but it's really just service at airports I'm concerned about. The reason I initially dropped AT&T was because backhaul to sites at airports couldn't handle the truth. Verizon has been great here, but i'm not sure about 200+$ /mo great. Also, the way Verizon handles handsets pisses me off, so I think I'm due for a switch... :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockpaperreality36