Any word on the reception antennae being used? The samsung released nexus s had many reception issues. I definitely would prefer to get the epic touch, but have heard good things about photon's reception in both 3 and 4g.
    09-06-2011 01:58 PM
    I think this is a question we all want to know?? I took the EVO3D back because of reception issues, so if the E4GT isn't any better I'm kinda stuck with it.
    09-06-2011 02:04 PM
    I think this is a question we all want to know?? I took the EVO3D back because of reception issues, so if the E4GT isn't any better I'm kinda stuck with it.
    Well the Photon is always an option. Moto has a reputation for solid radios.
    09-06-2011 03:05 PM
    Well the Photon is always an option. Moto has a reputation for solid radios.
    Not super crazy about that pentile screen, my wife had it for a week and yes the radios are rock solid..... but she took it back too and is waiting also for the E4GT
    09-06-2011 05:24 PM
    The MoPho has a great radio and reception, but I just can't stand the screen.
    09-06-2011 06:50 PM
    Ya I have to say the photon has the best reception of any Sprint phone I ever used but screen blows
    09-06-2011 07:45 PM
    Ya I have to say the photon has the best reception of any Sprint phone I ever used but screen blows
    I totally agree with you on that. I had every high end android phone on Sprint and out of all them, the Photon's had the best reception by far and the sound quality was crystal clear. It was like night and day...no comparison whatsoever.

I'm thinking about exchanging my Photon for the Epic Touch but with the bad reception issues that Samsung phones are known to have coupled with very late updates (Epic 4G still on 2.2), I may just pass and read some reviews first.
    09-06-2011 07:56 PM
    Some of you sound like lemmings ready to swallow everything verbatim and jump off the proverbial cliff.

Yup...the EPIC is still on 2.2. My EVO sucked once it went fro2.2 to 2.3. Maybe the EPIC wasn't meant to support 2.3?

The bad radio is nonsense with the exception of the Nexus 4G. Three EPICS in my family and all of them work perfectly on phone signal, 3G signal and especially 4G signal. Don't blindly follow the flock unless you know personally from experience.....it really sounds a bit like a flock of sheep bleating just because someone else in the flock did.
    09-06-2011 09:50 PM
    Funny, I did the same. The evo 3d had worse reception than my wife's evo 4g and my pre. Sprint said it must be defective - I just returned it. However, they said they only allow one exchange. I'm torn because they are offering such a nice price on wirefly.
    09-06-2011 09:53 PM
    Are they changing the radios in the 3D? i think we are going to have the same radios in the E4GT ... I hope theres no problems...
    09-06-2011 10:06 PM
    Some of you sound like lemmings ready to swallow everything verbatim and jump off the proverbial cliff.

Yup...the EPIC is still on 2.2. My EVO sucked once it went fro2.2 to 2.3. Maybe the EPIC wasn't meant to support 2.3?

The bad radio is nonsense with the exception of the Nexus 4G. Three EPICS in my family and all of them work perfectly on phone signal, 3G signal and especially 4G signal. Don't blindly follow the flock unless you know personally from experience.....it really sounds a bit like a flock of sheep bleating just because someone else in the flock did.
    Well it is ..what it is. Im not knocking samsung, however, i wont rush to be the first one in line either. Im going to read some reviews, some comparison videos and hopefully get a chance to play with one in the store before making my decision.

And as far i know the epic can run 2.3, if not then why have these leaked builds popped up?

And in regards to radios, The Epic, the Evo 4g, The Evo Shift, The Evo 3D and yes the NS4G all sucked when it came to reception...at least where im at. I only had one to no bars when at work. Whereas now on my photon i get anywhere from 3 to 5 bars

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk
    09-06-2011 10:20 PM
    Same concern

I doubt that I would be as harsh a critic of the Photon's screen as many folks here, but I would prefer the GS2 based on specs....BUT, the Nexus 4G radio debacle coupled with Samsung not ONCE demonstrating a commitment to upgrading phone software in a reasonable timeframe makes me want to step back.

I'll wait. No launch day GS2 for me. I'l still be rocking my Pre Minus...overclocked to 1GHz and loaded with FreeTether to make it a wireless AP...so I can use my new TouchPad on the road.

Seriously, Samsung has a lot to prove here. That Nexus radio situation has pretty much scared me away from all new Samsung phones.
    09-06-2011 10:25 PM

actually Ive been running lleakked 2.3 on my epic for a couple of months now and it works great. So epic can support it, just wish official releases were quicker, like asus is with my transformer updates.
    09-06-2011 11:09 PM
    Just because a phone displays fewer bars it doesn't mean it has less signal. The Nexus S 4g only has 4 bars total and the Photon has 6. My wife's Nexus S 4g holds a 3g signal better than my Pre and is able to maintain a call in areas that I had assumed were Sprint dead zones around me. I have another family member with a Nexus S and her experience has been similar. No signal issues at all. I know there may have been some lemons but just because you don't have all of your "bars" doesn't necessarily mean the reception is bad.
    09-07-2011 08:25 AM
    Just because a phone displays fewer bars it doesn't mean it has less signal. The Nexus S 4g only has 4 bars total and the Photon has 6. My wife's Nexus S 4g holds a 3g signal better than my Pre and is able to maintain a call in areas that I had assumed were Sprint dead zones around me. I have another family member with a Nexus S and her experience has been similar. No signal issues at all. I know there may have been some lemons but just because you don't have all of your "bars" doesn't necessarily mean the reception is bad.
    Correct...but in my case...my fewer bars went to no bars that went to no service.

I just hope that everybody that's jumping on this galaxy band wagon do their research or have done their research.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk
    09-07-2011 08:43 AM
    Funny, I did the same. The evo 3d had worse reception than my wife's evo 4g and my pre. Sprint said it must be defective - I just returned it. However, they said they only allow one exchange. I'm torn because they are offering such a nice price on wirefly.
    Same here, my gf's 3d gets consistantly lower signal than my pre. She just got it about a week ago so we may end up trading it out for the gs2.
    09-07-2011 09:11 AM
    Well just like every other Phone you get on Sprint you have 30 days to return it. If you r having bad service with Sprint double check your PRL and coverage maps. If its a specific Phone and radio then that is a big problem for Sprint. My question, If HTC puts a Radio in their phone is it their radio that hey made or is it a radio that Sprint makes? Maybe if Sammy puts in their own Radio but to the Specs of what Sprint requires then we won't/shouldn't have any problems with signal.
    09-07-2011 09:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD