Why did samsung not upgrade processor speed to 1.5GHz?

taylormah

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Almost every single upcoming android powerhouse phone I am reading about has a 1.4-1.5GHz dual core processor. Even international LTE GSII would get upgraded to 1.5GHz. With a bigger body and battery than original international GSII, samsung could have safely increased their processor speed and thereby maintained some good lead for a little longer in the US market, so what could be the reason they still chose to go with 1.2GHz clock speed??

Now I understand that numbers are not everything, and exynos clocked at 1.2ghz is already fast enough and still has muscle to overpower many other competing processing chips, and as such, 1.2Ghz would give us a side benefit of even more slightly increased battery life over a day's use, but its few of us educated android users from these forums who know it, not the common man, who is in majority and who would be basing his choice based on what sales people tell him or what he reads on the device label. I remember originally international GSII was going to be launched with 1GHz dual core initially, but samsung later increased the clock to 1.2 for competitive edge. With iPhone5 just coming out in few more weeks, and almost every upcoming super android phone having bigger clock speed number, why did Samsung still choose to keep processor speeds at 1.2GHz??

garrettfarnum

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Re: Why did samsung not upgrade processor speed to 1.5GHz??

Because, "You don't fix what ain't broken," it's a solid device and it doesn't need the insane clock speeds.

MediaMonkey

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site

I agree the GSII is arriving a bit late to the U.S. party, and as a result it has aged a bit since it was the top dog, but it still is the best Android as of today. Even in a couple months with the Bionic and the HTC phone (forget the exact name) it's still going to be right in the top tier. Plus, I'll take SAMOLED+ over HTC's fairly drab screens and TouchWiz over Moto's BlurLite skin. To me, its got the best combination of features. Now that resolution staying the same on the other hand...

jfenton

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site

Seriously...besides eating more battery, would you honestly notice the difference between 1.2ghz dual and 1.5 if you weren't playing a high end game?

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

I did wish they would have upgraded it but what i wanted most im getting, Exynos!.... This for the masses will be just fine. the Euro numbers were pushing 3000+ and when rooted to 1.5 was over 4100. So i want to see them try that with these upcoming phones.

Im with media monkey... The screen should have been updated. but ill still take it...

Last edited:

eric3316

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site

I od wish they would have upgraded it but what i wanted mose im getting Exynos.... This for the masses will be just fine. the Euro numbers were pushing 3000+ and when rooted to 1.5 was over 4100. So i want to see them try that with these upcoming phones.

Im with media monkey... The screen should have been updated. but ill still take it...

I agree that the screen should have been updated but I am excited they upped it to 4.5" though. Kind of makes up for it a little......

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I'm happy that is 4.5 inch . I don't drive myself nuts with this pentile stuff. To me the screen looks great and thats what counts... Who looks at there screen 2 inchs away from their face anyway lol

9 MORE DAYS!!!

Saear

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm with the OP. They changed everything about this phone supposedly upgrading it. The screen is larger yet still the same resolution. This probably helped them reduce manufacturing cost. It’s a bit insulting that the US is getting a cheaper aging GS2 while the real SG2 x2 (1.5ghz processing) is currently getting ready to launch in Europe.

Saear

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site

Because, "You don't fix what ain't broken," it's a solid device and it doesn't need the insane clock speeds.

They already did fix what ain't broken. We aren't getting the awesome GS2, we're getting a redesign.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
We wouldn't even be having this discussion if it didn't take so long to get the US versions released. If they had released in June or July like they should have we wouldn't have even heard about the 1.5ghz model yet. But the specs have been set in stone for awhile so it is what it is.

We're still getting a cutting edge device, with the same great Exynos processor, great screen, and other specs. It just won't be as cutting edge as it was in May. I'd expect I'll be very happy with this device for the next couple of years, and don't think an additional 0.3ghz would get me any additional mileage or noticeably improve my using experience.

jfenton

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Interestingly the you tube page linked previously showing the specs of all 3 US variants shows the ATT and TMobile getting Exynos chip sets and the Sprint version getting an Orion???

I know Orion was the precursor to Exynos and the name changed...I wonder why the difference in the listing of the specifications?

thekarens

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Root it and overclock it to 1.5, no big deal. As far as the screen goes they don't have a better 4.5 screen yet. They haven't been able to make the HD screen less than 5 inches yet.

gummy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm totally with OP. It really sucks that we're getting this 6 months later than everyone else, and it really adds insult to injury that they announce an updated version with an updated processor for the rest of the world before our version has even shipped.

gummy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

Seriously...besides eating more battery, would you honestly notice the difference between 1.2ghz dual and 1.5 if you weren't playing a high end game?

So what, some of us like to play high end games.

Also, faster clock speeds often equate to lower battery usage. If a CPU is able to process everything it needs to process and then go to low power mode sooner, it often saves power in the net even though it's using more power while it's on.

jfenton

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
The simple solution for you then is not to buy it. Wait for something else...which will be bested by something else coming along before you buy that :)

Saear

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
The simple solution for you then is not to buy it. Wait for something else...which will be bested by something else coming along before you buy that :)

Had this phone come out with the rest of the world we would have had the best phone for at least 6 months. As it stands now we will be luck to stand on top for a month or two. I have been considering passing on this phone simple out of principle.

thekarens

May 18, 2010
Visit site
So what, some of us like to play high end games.

Also, faster clock speeds often equate to lower battery usage. If a CPU is able to process everything it needs to process and then go to low power mode sooner, it often saves power in the net even though it's using more power while it's on.

There isn't a game out there that you can't play with 1.2. .3 isn't going to make any difference. If that's what you want by all means get it, but if no one was told the specs you would never notice the difference.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463