Why did samsung not upgrade processor speed to 1.5GHz?

taylormah

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
There isn't a game out there that you can't play with 1.2. .3 isn't going to make any difference. If that's what you want by all means get it, but if no one was told the specs you would never notice the difference.

Yes, today there is no game or software that can push exynos 1.2GHz to its limits, but if someone is buying this phone for next 2 years, there will be games available by then which would need higher speed. 0.3GHz, even if its a small number, is still a 25% boost in the clock speed, which is significant, and can keep this phone powerful with future games for little longer. I understand there would always be next bigger thing, but its not about next big phone, its about keeping my current phone big for little longer in a highly fast moving mobile hardware industry.

thekarens

May 18, 2010
Visit site
There isn't a 1.5 phone on Sprint and I would be willing to bet the Prime doesn't make it there before January and when it comes out the rumors of the quad core phones will be out. At some point you just got to make a decision and go with it since there will always something bigger, badder, better a couple months down the road.

If the S2 isn't for you then certainly you shouldn't get it, but seems a little crazy for that reason.

taylormah

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
There isn't a 1.5 phone on Sprint and I would be willing to bet the Prime doesn't make it there before January and when it comes out the rumors of the quad core phones will be out. At some point you just got to make a decision and go with it since there will always something bigger, badder, better a couple months down the road.

If the S2 isn't for you then certainly you shouldn't get it, but seems a little crazy for that reason.

It is not about S2. S2 is a bad wild gunslinger who is gonna rule the sprint nation for next few months, and seriously, its hard to beat a samsung phone. Samsung has proven their worth once again this year after a rocking year of GSI. They carve their own silicon with perfection and its hard to beat them. S2 is a good phone and it will remain so. What I was talking about was that hardware and software and their progress goes hand in hand. When hardware improves, software becomes available that can utilize it fully. Desktop era was a good proof of this. Today there is nothing that can use 1.2GHz power of exynos, but soon there will be. Games qualities and graphics are improving fast, and at a time when quad core CPU's will become norm of next year, power hungry apps will come. Sad matter of the fact is that we are still stuck with 2 year upgrade cycle and there seems to be no way out without paying more for the device. So if I or someone else wants to buy a phone for next two years, then its natural to think of what its power would mean against apps that are gonna come 12 months down the road. 1.2GHz is norm of today, 1.5GHz would be norm of 6 months down the road. So 1.5GHz today could help fight off the desire to have the latest at least for next 6-12 months.

Next big phones will keep coming. It doesn't mean the current hardware offering of E4GT is anything to laugh at. I already pre-ordered mine, and I am planning to just keep it in healthy condition for next 12 months, when I will sell it on craigslist and then invest couple of hundred dollar, which is same as upgrade cost with a new contract, and buy big thing at that time. It will be far easier this way than to worry about hardware specs for next 2 years. But I agree with your point that you have to make a decision at some point, and GS2 is perfect phone to help make that decision now.

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
If your worried about a phone to last you 2 years and still be able to handle all that it was built for and future proof get a flip phone. they are rock solid, can and will make great calls anywhere. If you want to play some serious games , get a console or subscribe to on live and play that thru your phone. I would like to really know how much gaming people really do on there phones .theirs not enough time in a day to sit their and play COD on it. This Phone will be plenty fine and if your worried about it being old and slow just rooted and push it to 2.0 ghz. Or become a premier member and get a new phone next year like most of us do and pass this one to your spouse like i will. I wish this came with 1.5ghz but if they where to just clock the same chip at 1.5 isnt that what we do when we root? anyway carry on ...

thekarens

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I admit I play a lot on my phone and I do because it's portable. I can play before work starts, at lunch, in the line at the grocery store......

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I play games to but games that push the phone to its graphic and processor limits ? thats some serious hard core addiction lol . And you play on your year old EVO and me my Epic and they are doing just fine in handling the speeds ...

taylormah

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
If your worried about a phone to last you 2 years and still be able to handle all that it was built for and future proof get a flip phone. they are rock solid, can and will make great calls anywhere. If you want to play some serious games , get a console or subscribe to on live and play that thru your phone. I would like to really know how much gaming people really do on there phones .theirs not enough time in a day to sit their and play COD on it. This Phone will be plenty fine and if your worried about it being old and slow just rooted and push it to 2.0 ghz. Or become a premier member and get a new phone next year like most of us do and pass this one to your spouse like i will. I wish this came with 1.5ghz but if they where to just clock the same chip at 1.5 isnt that what we do when we root? anyway carry on ...

I agree and disagree. I agree because you are right, most people don't do big gaming on their device. I disagree because I do big gaming on my device. I am a student, my university is more than 90 mins away from my home by public transportation, and I use my device to do my online studies, read my ebooks, watch movies on the go, and play games. I finished assasins creed in three days, so much was the time spent on my device when I had it - just saying because I am away from my home most of the day and no I cant play my PS3 while I am waiting for my bus. I wont qualify to become premier customer with my plan, but I will sell my device next year and buy something at full price with little more investment. So while you are right in your point of view, sadly your point of view does not apply globally to every single person, at least not to me.
I dont have any complaints from GS2. I love samsung phones and so far HTC and motorola never captured my heart in a way Galaxy S series has. I simply love it. and I will simply upgrade next year when S3 becomes available. I think it is near perfect phone and there is nothing in market right now that can come close to its quality. What I said about 1.5GHz is my belief and no one has to agree with it.

Reactions: sndplace

YBCold

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Everyone seems to think that there is always going to be a bigger and badder phone coming out next month. The reality is, we will soon see the technology slow down in progression just as we did with computers and their processors. Anyone remember when clock speeds became maxed out and hyper threading was brought back?

dan4patriots

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Interestingly the you tube page linked previously showing the specs of all 3 US variants shows the ATT and TMobile getting Exynos chip sets and the Sprint version getting an Orion???

I know Orion was the precursor to Exynos and the name changed...I wonder why the difference in the listing of the specifications?

Orion is the code name for the Exynos chip, it is the same

Lucifer

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I am somewhat with taylor on that gamer aspect, but it's not the 1.2 ghz vs 1.5 ghz that bothers me the most, it's the fact (or rumor) that nexus prime will have ICS OS.

Would u guys say ICS is going to be a such major upgrade that it'll make gingerbread look weeny and tiny? (ie. do u think it'll be windows 7 vs. windows xp kinda deal (where u do want windows 7) or more of windows xp vs. windows vista (where u don't care enough to actually upgrade to vista)

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I am somewhat with taylor on that gamer aspect, but it's not the 1.2 ghz vs 1.5 ghz that bothers me the most, it's the fact (or rumor) that nexus prime will have ICS OS.

Would u guys say ICS is going to be a such major upgrade that it'll make gingerbread look weeny and tiny? (ie. do u think it'll be windows 7 vs. windows xp kinda deal (where u do want windows 7) or more of windows xp vs. windows vista (where u don't care enough to actually upgrade to vista)

I don't really care if we get ICS unless we get something that is (r)evolutionary and not just a UI change. To be honest, I was way more excited for froyo rather than gingerbread because froyo was bringing a lot of new things to the table, not just to change the looks of the UI. In froyo, they brought flash, mobile hotspots, JIT compiler, and a bigger increase in performance. In Gingerbread, all they really brought was just NFC and I guess longer battery life (varies by each device) but I can always snap on an extended battery.

Lucifer

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
the ep4gt will get ics one day..... 2-3 months later?

I definitely hope so..

Seems Samsung has a bad tract record with updates.. but with Galaxy S2 being their true flagship this time.. I am willing to give them another chance to prove they upped their game on that side of the game as well.

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
ICS is like taking 2.3 and 3.2 and merging them into 1 so that they would just be 1 for all devises. It will be a fine upgrade but just like 2.2 on the Epic 2.3 on this will do the job. To me the biggest problem i have is how the Modems seem to cause more issues on every upgrade. I find it crazy that my wife sitting next to me on her EVO is pulling 7 to 8 MBs on 4G and I get 4 to 5 MBs. I assume they have the same hardware since they came out around the same time , within 2 months of each other.

They probably want to make sure that what they give us will work. I hate it when they rush out an update to then have to send out another one to fix something they broke with the last one.

Tuffgong4

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
I don't really care if we get ICS unless we get something that is (r)evolutionary and not just a UI change. To be honest, I was way more excited for froyo rather than gingerbread because froyo was bringing a lot of new things to the table, not just to change the looks of the UI. In froyo, they brought flash, mobile hotspots, JIT compiler, and a bigger increase in performance. In Gingerbread, all they really brought was just NFC and I guess longer battery life (varies by each device) but I can always snap on an extended battery.

This is one of the only posts in this thread that make sense. Nice post

Reactions: Officerpolabear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781