09-12-2011 12:26 AM
69 123
tools
    Actually, they go for back and dark color schemes because darkers colors consume less battery. Since the sub-pixels are switched off to produce blacks, that consumes no power. But for white, all subpixels drive at full, requiring max power for each pixel. That's why the phones with SAMOLED screens came in last in the power consumption tests based in web surfing -- most pages have white backgrounds, and that killed battery performance. That's why the E4GT has separate screen brightness controls on the browser level.

If you go with dark color schemes and don't surf a lot of web pages, you can get very good battery life, and that's the optimum scenario that was the basis for SAMOLED being kinder to batteries than LCD. But if you read a lot of webpages or read Kindle books with white backgrounds, battery consumption goes the opposite way.
    however on my droid charges whites really do look like *** so he has a very valid point and i wouldnt be surprised it aesthetics was in their logic
    09-08-2011 05:02 PM
    What's up with the Infuse's colors? Is the brightness just down? Cause I thought the Super Amoled Plus display was supposed to be much more vibrant and contrasty than that.
    It could also be the fact that the whites on SAMOLED+ have a blueish hue to them rather than the true white of a traditional LCD. Personally, I don't really notice it unless there's another phone right by mine that has an LCD screen.
    09-08-2011 06:13 PM
    If the Touch is the same as the international version you can adjust the colors and contrast.
    09-08-2011 07:01 PM
    Is there some way we could turn the page background black and font white in android web browser? Any browser does it by setting?
    I have always been able to do this in the browser. It is usually called inverting as someone else pointed out earlier.

BTW. If you want confirmation of pentile's downfall go look at the Bionic reviews. The only people that think it looks good are people wearing glasses(person confessed) or think that SAMOLED looks washed out.
    09-08-2011 11:04 PM
    If the Touch is the same as the international version you can adjust the colors and contrast.
    That would be pretty cool.
    09-09-2011 05:37 AM
    There have been several hands on reports that state the whites are really white.
    09-09-2011 10:30 AM
    I have always been able to do this in the browser. It is usually called inverting as someone else pointed out earlier.

BTW. If you want confirmation of pentile's downfall go look at the Bionic reviews. The only people that think it looks good are people wearing glasses(person confessed) or think that SAMOLED looks washed out.
    So thats why the pentile screens don't bother me , because of my glasses lol
    09-09-2011 04:41 PM
    So thats why the pentile screens don't bother me , because of my glasses lol
    If you went and read the reviews you would understand what I was talking about. One guy said he didn't notice a problem but that it was probably because he didn't have his glasses on. I didn't generalize the statement just pointed out his situation.
    09-09-2011 04:56 PM
    If you went and read the reviews you would understand what I was talking about. One guy said he didn't notice a problem but that it was probably because he didn't have his glasses on. I didn't generalize the statement just pointed out his situation.
    That's strange because I wear glasses and when I went into a Sprint store to check out the Motorola Photon I CLEARLY saw the 'screen door' effect on its screen. I didn't know if it was a bad display unit or what... but it looked horrible and pretty much all of the other phones they had on display looked better.
    09-09-2011 08:13 PM
    That's strange because I wear glasses and when I went into a Sprint store to check out the Motorola Photon I CLEARLY saw the 'screen door' effect on its screen. I didn't know if it was a bad display unit or what... but it looked horrible and pretty much all of the other phones they had on display looked better.
    I also noticed it on the nexus s and epic, drives me crazy
    09-09-2011 08:55 PM
    I don't think it has anything to do with our eye's ability to focus, but rather our eyes and brains perception of colors. I've had very good vision all of my life and while I can see the screen door effect slightly, it doesn't bother me or lead me to the conclusion that the screen looks poor. Oddly enough, I think Moto's LCD PenTile RGBW screens look rather nice. I still prefer Sammy's SAMOLED Plus screen overall though.
    09-09-2011 09:05 PM
    without my glasses i couldn't see the unlock screen on my phone let alone the screendoor effect lol . Its bad that people put down a phone based just on the screen but its the way things are. Alot of people don't care to much. I know that i can see tv on my 720 hd sreen and is prefect by my brother can't look at tv onless its 1080p and like 5 mil contrast or what ever is the highest . He can tell like in to seconds when it comes to stuff like that. He loves the Iphone screen and thought the Epic screen was good. He can't look at the Evo screen lol . If you are looking into the sreen you will see what your looking for and there are some people who's eyes are really good that they can just tell...
    09-09-2011 09:09 PM
    without my glasses i couldn't see the unlock screen on my phone let alone the screendoor effect lol . Its bad that people put down a phone based just on the screen but its the way things are. Alot of people don't care to much. I know that i can see tv on my 720 hd sreen and is prefect by my brother can't look at tv onless its 1080p and like 5 mil contrast or what ever is the highest . He can tell like in to seconds when it comes to stuff like that. He loves the Iphone screen and thought the Epic screen was good. He can't look at the Evo screen lol . If you are looking into the sreen you will see what your looking for and there are some people who's eyes are really good that they can just tell...
    I think the reason why people seem to care about the screen so much is because it's the thing that you will have to look at when you use your phone at any given time. Especially when it's at 4.52"haha.
    09-10-2011 01:21 AM
    ^+4467762147999764237889097665334578
    09-10-2011 02:29 AM
    I think the reason why people seem to care about the screen so much is because it's the thing that you will have to look at when you use your phone at any given time. Especially when it's at 4.52"haha.
    This was probably the biggest factor for me. When I have to look at the screen every day for 2 years it must look good. One pixel out would drive me nuts and seeing the Photon Screen it looks like thousands of pixels out. Retina display is by far the best I have seen but since the functionality isn't there in iOS, the android phone with the best screen tops my list, aka E4GT. Add in the room to grow with the awesome specs and I am set.
    09-10-2011 03:09 AM
    Exactly!

And besides that, I think for me it was the fact that the qHD screen was such a major selling point and feature of the phone that maybe my expectations were too high. I've seen the iPhone screen, which is slightly higher res than qHD and that screen is freaking awesome, so I was expecting that the Photon's screen would be near as beautiful. When I actually saw it though, I was thinking this thing looks nowhere near the resolution advertised. I looked at it from a normal distance and can clearly see something funky, that screen door effect. I don't understand how you can see that with such a high res! Of course when I got home I looked it up and found out about PenTile displays and why they are no good.
    09-10-2011 03:34 AM
    This was probably the biggest factor for me. When I have to look at the screen every day for 2 years it must look good. One pixel out would drive me nuts and seeing the Photon Screen it looks like thousands of pixels out. Retina display is by far the best I have seen but since the functionality isn't there in iOS, the android phone with the best screen tops my list, aka E4GT. Add in the room to grow with the awesome specs and I am set.
    Yeah, I'd say this is my top 5 list of priorities

1. Proc.
    2. Screen
    3. Form factor (thinness)
    4. Software
    5. Camera
    09-10-2011 04:34 AM
    Exactly!

And besides that, I think for me it was the fact that the qHD screen was such a major selling point and feature of the phone that maybe my expectations were too high. I've seen the iPhone screen, which is slightly higher res than qHD and that screen is freaking awesome, so I was expecting that the Photon's screen would be near as beautiful. When I actually saw it though, I was thinking this thing looks nowhere near the resolution advertised. I looked at it from a normal distance and can clearly see something funky, that screen door effect. I don't understand how you can see that with such a high res! Of course when I got home I looked it up and found out about PenTile displays and why they are no good.
    I saw a Photon in real life last week. Also an EVO 3D.

NOT IMPRESSED at all by the screens.
    09-10-2011 04:44 AM
    I agree that the Retina display is by far the best mobile screen I have seen as well. Haven't seen a Super Amoled Plus screen yet but I am assuming while it will look great it still won't be as good as the Retina display.........

So here is a Random question......If their was an Android phone that was released with a retina display like the iPhone 5 but the screen was only 4", would you buy that or still go with the larger, 4.5" Super Amoled Plus screen on the galaxy.

Just curious if people would prefer the larger screen over the better screen. I myself don't think I can go back to a 4" screen.....
    09-10-2011 06:24 AM
    Larger screen for me, Makes it much easier to actually do work on it.
    09-10-2011 06:59 AM
    Personally, after having an EVO 3D and a Photon, both of which have 540 x 960 qHD screens, I found everything on them to be too damn small.;
    I agree 100%. I couldn't stand it on my 3d and went back to my Evo4G.
    09-10-2011 07:00 AM
    Yeah, I'd say this is my top 5 list of priorities

1. Proc.
    2. Screen
    3. Form factor (thinness)
    4. Software
    5. Camera
    Know whats interesting about your list?

You don't even have anything on your list about call quality and actually using the device as a phone???
    09-10-2011 07:00 AM

You don't even have anything on your list about call quality and actually using the device as a phone???
    For me that also holds true. I almost NEVER make a phone call, not to my spouse or siblings or kids or friends. It's all text messaging and group messaging apps. My one exception is my 71 year old mother, so the phone abilities/quality mean very little to me.
    09-10-2011 08:44 AM

well its only a top 5 list . #6 was call quality , I saw the original top 10 list .

I talk on my phone a good amount so I would have that as #5

1 Software ( I like Sammy)
    2 process
    3 screen
    4(a) Form factor (b) camera
    5 call quality/radios
    09-10-2011 10:01 AM
    I agree that the Retina display is by far the best mobile screen I have seen as well. Haven't seen a Super Amoled Plus screen yet but I am assuming while it will look great it still won't be as good as the Retina display.........

So here is a Random question......If their was an Android phone that was released with a retina display like the iPhone 5 but the screen was only 4", would you buy that or still go with the larger, 4.5" Super Amoled Plus screen on the galaxy.

Just curious if people would prefer the larger screen over the better screen. I myself don't think I can go back to a 4" screen.....
    Well I'm used to 3.7" on my OG Droid so 4" would be fine by me. 4" makes a nice screen size. Not sure I could go any lower than that or any higher than 4.5.
    09-10-2011 01:44 PM
69 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD