Samsung Epic 4G Touch Review - Part 1

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Even this guy is hung up on WVGA vs. qHD. Yet he fails to mention that the SAMOLED+ screen has 50% more sub-pixels. Ah well, I'm not going to get into the resolution debate again.
Does it translate into seeing more on the screen than qHD? Can I see more of a vertical space of a webpage than qHD? Holy Crap! Look a the size of that 'media volume' pop-up!

It will be interesting if I can see the 'screen door' effect on this phone like every other AMOLED and PenTile screen I've seen...

Last edited:

taylormah

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Does it translate into seeing more on the screen than qHD? Can I see more of a vertical space of a webpage than qHD? Holy Crap! Look a the size of that 'media volume' pop-up!

It will be interesting if I can see the 'screen door' effect on this phone like every other AMOLED and PenTile screen I've seen...

This device does not have a pentile screen, but epic 4g had, so it should look better. And no, you would see less content on screen than what a qHD will show. See this post for a comparison shot.

dkotoric

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
This device does not have a pentile screen, but epic 4g had, so it should look better. And no, you would see less content on screen than what a qHD will show. See this post for a comparison shot.

I dont know why people care about qhd so much, root ur phone and install lcd density changer and ull see allot more

taylormah

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I dont know why people care about qhd so much, root ur phone and install lcd density changer and ull see allot more

In a time where top-hardware crown goes from device to device in a matter of few months, everyone would want to at least stay in the game for at least few months down the road. If one is spending top dollar, one would expect top-specifications in areas he prefers most. Only thing is that for someone screen size is more important, for other processing power, and for another SAMOLED+ etc etc.. You may not care about resolution, and I don't care much about it either, but maybe someone else does. For me, screen size and SAMOLED+ are more important than resolution, so I already preordered, but for someone else resolution or camera button maybe far more important, so they may pass over this device. But I agree, if someone really wants this phone AND higher resolution AND has the balls to experiment, then root and install density changer.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Bob replied to my comment on the YouTube video about the branding. Here's what he said ...

Oooohh... sharp eyes. I'm told that the phone I have is a pre-production unit missing only the final graphics. Samsung and Sprint assured us that the unit I have includes the final software load. FWIW, the back cover does have "Samsung" on it.

Bob at Wirefly

Of course it was Oversteer with the sharp eyes.

Reactions: oversteer325

Rudiepoo1

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone have any idea of how the build quality of the phone would stack up to the og HTC EVO? I know it's not even out yet but I haven't owned a Samsung phone in quite some time and I'm wondering how it would be compared to my EVO. My girlfriend is due for an upgrade in November (much sooner than me:)) and I may just use her upgrade to get this and then give her my EVO. Otherwise this looks to be an awesome device!

ZDriver

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Does anyone have any idea of how the build quality of the phone would stack up to the og HTC EVO? I know it's not even out yet but I haven't owned a Samsung phone in quite some time and I'm wondering how it would be compared to my EVO. My girlfriend is due for an upgrade in November (much sooner than me:)) and I may just use her upgrade to get this and then give her my EVO. Otherwise this looks to be an awesome device!

You would do that to you're girlfriend! Don't be pissed when she trades you in for a newer model.... LOL

Rudiepoo1

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
You would do that to you're girlfriend! Don't be pissed when she trades you in for a newer model.... LOL

Ha.....love that one! She has a poor beat up LG Optimus, so my EVO would be a huge upgrade for her. She's so non-techie as it is but would love the EVO anyway:)

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone have any idea of how the build quality of the phone would stack up to the og HTC EVO?

HTC tends to use heavier materials in the casing of its phones. More metallic plastics and such. Samsung build quality is good, but they opt for lighter plastics that to some, can feel cheaper. If you want a good idea of the build, go into an AT&T store and hold an Infuse.

Reactions: Rudiepoo1

Slingbox

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
I think they are synchronus. This is one big reason it performs so well and has excellent battery.
You are correct they are synchronous.
Performance is way better then asynchronous EVO 3D & Sensation so Ive found working with Bellshare development.
Berryweather Android app performance on those 2 devices sufferer a tad

Those interested in testing app out we've had public beta going on for a few weeks.
http://www.bellshare.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=102&t=2889

Last edited:
Reactions: eric3316

eric3316

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I think they are synchronus. This is one big reason it performs so well and has excellent battery.

Funny thing is people were saying because of the cores being asychronous on the EVO 3D it will offer better battery life. Guess that isn't true because battery life on the 3D is not that great.

I really hope the SGS2 has better battery life.........

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Funny thing is people were saying because of the cores being asychronous on the EVO 3D it will offer better battery life. Guess that isn't true because battery life on the 3D is not that great.

I really hope the SGS2 has better battery life.........

I find the reason why it's not as great is because that one core has got to stay at peak performance for a longer time whereas the SGS2 will just get it done with quicker, thus getting out of peak performance quicker. Sometimes, using less, doesn't save more in this case.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maximusdebois