10-13-2011 05:24 PM
31 12
tools
    Hi all, forum WebOS user here.

I just per-ordered the Samsung today.

I just wanted to ask a question so I'm ready to go as soon as it arrives.

How does one use the Expansion Memory Slot on these phones. My friend has a Samsung 'something' and it contained a micro-sd card in it and apparently Android doesn't automatically use this expanded memory?

So what does one need to do to use the expanded memory, and I guess I should throw in a follow up to this question being are there more than one way to use this expanded memory.

What's the best way to use the memory and how do we use it.

Thanks!

Rob

PS I'm trying to read all the great stuff posted in the sticky thread about WebOS users.

I'm still trying to figure out what I will need to support my Outlook 2010 on my local desktop, I currently used PocketMirror and they don't have an Android app available. I want Contact, Calendar, Notes and Tasks.
    09-08-2011 10:54 PM
    Email, calendar, and contacts are integrated and synced automatically. I'm not sure about Notes and Tasks though. I, too, came from WebOS...you're going to LOVE Android and your new Samsung device. It took me about a month to stop thinking in card mode, but Android devices are so quick to switch between apps true multitasking isn't necessary. Good luck...
    rlanza1054 likes this.
    09-08-2011 11:38 PM
    Email, calendar, and contacts are integrated and synced automatically. I'm not sure about Notes and Tasks though. I, too, came from WebOS...you're going to LOVE Android and your new Samsung device. It took me about a month to stop thinking in card mode, but Android devices are so quick to switch between apps true multitasking isn't necessary. Good luck...
    Ready, I had tried it on a friends and I couldn't even figure it out.

I guess when I get the phone, I will end up with a manual to read up on how to use things.

It's going to be a long re-training of the brain, for this new OS.

Can I ask what phone you got?

I still have to wait until the S2 comes out, about a week more!

Rob

PS Still trying to find out how to use the memory expansion slot?
    09-09-2011 05:18 PM
    Android does use the micro sd card by default depending on what you do. Your pictures should save to the SD. Music too. Apps are stored in the Phones memory and depending on the Manufacturers settings can be a lot of space or a little. With Android 2.2 or higher that wouldn't be a big deal because we can save and run apps from your SD card. Videos too are stored into the SD card.

Hope this help you abit... I also came from Webos and it took a while to stop swiping up my aps to close lol ...
    rlanza1054 likes this.
    09-09-2011 07:53 PM
    So do the SD card and the on board memory appear as separate when you plug it into a computer or does it treat them as a single storage area (a-la RAID 0)?

I'm coming from an Evo, which has no on board storage that can be accessed so I'm not sure how this will work.
    09-11-2011 11:17 AM
    I still am having trouble figuring out the external micro sd card?

I thought when I moved an app from the phone to the SD card, it would move to the micro external sd card, the slot we put the card in.

But it seems, that the phone is using it's own internal SD card to move the app to?

Can you move apps to the external SD card?

It is confusing when you go into an app from the 'Manage Applications' and it offers 'Move to SD Card'.

Let's face it, to most people we think we are moving to the SD card that we purchased and installed into the slot. Not some internal area.

So I want to make use of this large 32mg card I purchased and I'm not sure how to move stuff there, especially apps, because I am actually running out of internal space!

Is there an app that I need to manage this?

Thanks!

Rob
    10-07-2011 10:11 PM
    wow tried it and can't seem to move it over. Only reading as external drive. So the sd card is the internal storage and the Micro is is the External storage. Ok thats stupid. Maybe I'm missing something but if thats how the phone reads it, then wtf.
    10-08-2011 05:40 AM
    The phone should move the apps to the SD card. I do not have one yet and I get this when I try to move the file.

10-08-2011 10:05 AM
    Then it seems I'm right and everyone is getting confused by this and so far no one has an answer!

Maybe this thread should be flagged as important?

Rob

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    10-09-2011 03:21 PM
    Just bought a 32GB class 10 PNY, and I can confirm that apps do go in to the SD card.

However, data that apps write to the phone like backup settings, game data that downloads after installation etc is all stored into the internal memory.
    10-09-2011 06:10 PM
    So photos being taken and videos for that matter, all get stored on the SD card?
    10-10-2011 09:35 AM
    So photos being taken and videos for that matter, all get stored on the SD card?
    Yup, all you have to do it change it once in the camera settings.
    10-10-2011 10:10 AM
    For those of you that say your stuff is getting stored on the external SD card:

Please let me know how you are verifying this fact?

If you are using the phone's built in software and it states SD card, that is not the external SD card, but the internal memory (the 16GB that came with the phone).

If you use a program like 'File Expert' or any other file browser, you should see a directory or folder labeled 'external_sd', that is the true external SD card.

If you apps and stuff are in that folder/directory then you stuff is truly going to the external SD card, if not it's going to the onboard SD card.

Also, if you take out your micro SD card and mount it on your PC, does it show the files and apps there?

I am find that my pictures are indeed getting stored on the external but not the apps.

Rob
    10-10-2011 04:26 PM
    I verified it by inserting the SD card into my PC.

I will check again when I go home.

Sent from my Epic 4G Touch
    rlanza1054 likes this.
    10-10-2011 04:36 PM
    I inserted my sd card into my card reader into my computer, and it does look like the apps are in my card.

I included a screenshot of all the apps I've moved to the sd card.

10-10-2011 09:48 PM
    So then, this revelation begs the next question... How do we use the usb storage? Apps either use internal phone or sd card.

I want all games and extraneous apps on usb... media files, offline maps and music on sd card.

Solutions?

Sent from a Crapdroid
    10-10-2011 10:35 PM
    For those of you that say your stuff is getting stored on the external SD card:

Please let me know how you are verifying this fact?...
    Tap the My Files app and take a look.

The subdirectories you see listed there with one exception are all stored in your internal memory.

Your microSD card will show as a subdirectory called "external_sd"

Tap external_sd to see what is on your microSD card.

When you connect to a PC and swipe down on the Notification bar then tap USB Storage > Connect USB Storage. Your PC will show that you have connected two USB drives, one the internal memory and the other the miscroSD card.

When you copy files over to the phone from your computer, you may need to reboot the phone to force it to rescan for the new files.

See the Getting Started section on Putting Music, Photos, Movies, Wallpaper and Documents on your phone for more information.
    10-10-2011 11:27 PM
    Yes, but that still doesn't answer the question of accessing the usb portion through the OS (not using PC over a USB connection) .

Again, how do you store SELECT apps (games etc) and it's associated data on the usb portion?

This line of questioning is somewhat rhetorical since I'm pretty sure there is no conclusive answer. Shoddy programming and/or limited OS.

Maybe Banana Schweddy Balls v. 18.2.4.3 will solve this.

Sent from a Crapdroid
    10-11-2011 01:19 AM
    Yes, but that still doesn't answer the question of accessing the usb portion through the OS (not using PC over a USB connection) .

Again, how do you store SELECT apps (games etc) and it's associated data on the usb portion?

This line of questioning is somewhat rhetorical since I'm pretty sure there is no conclusive answer. Shoddy programming and/or limited OS.

Maybe Banana Schweddy Balls v. 18.2.4.3 will solve this.

Sent from a Crapdroid
    Crapdroid,

I was not answering your question. I specifically was answering Rob.

In answer to your question, "Again, how do you store SELECT apps (games etc) and it's associated data on the usb portion?"...

You don't SELECT where apps are stored. They are stored in the apps section of the internal 16GB of memory.

In the 25 Reasons to Consider the Sprint Epic 4G Touch, I just expanded this section to make this more clear:
    It Won't Forget
    A remarkable 2GB of the 16GB internal memory is used for apps. That's enough room for over 500 apps. 3GB is reserved for the operating system leaving over 11 GB for music, photos, docs and videos. And you can still add up to a 32GB microSD Class 10 card for around $50 from
    Amazon, Buy.com, or NewEgg.
    Internal memory is used for three things:
    • 2GB Apps
    • 2.5GB Operating System
    • 11.5GB free

The 2GB for apps is enough for over 500 apps. If you want to back up your apps to a microSD card, see the Getting Started section on Backup, Restore or Transfer Apps, Files, and Settings. Android purposely keeps the apps in an area that you cannot access from USB mode on your PC. That is to keep users from passing around copies of a purchased app file (apk).

There are lots of ways to back up apps to the microSD card but MyBackup Pro works great. I used it to back up all my Apps (apk files) from my EVO 4G to my SD card and then restored to my Epic 4G Touch. You need to use AppBrain as well. It is all explained in the Getting Started.

This is the conclusive answer and is not shoddy and/or limited.
    10-11-2011 10:43 AM
    This is the conclusive answer and is not shoddy and/or limited.
    I dunnno Milo. I think your responses and guides could use more detail. *tease*

As always, great job man. This community is lucky to have a guy like you around, and E4GT owners are even more lucky that you happen to be using this phone for now. It's like winning the lottery!
    milominderbinde likes this.
    10-11-2011 11:54 AM
    I dunnno Milo. I think your responses and guides could use more detail. *tease*

As always, great job man. This community is lucky to have a guy like you around, and E4GT owners are even more lucky that you happen to be using this phone for now. It's like winning the lottery!
    Thanks, Jay!
    TheMacs likes this.
    10-11-2011 12:52 PM
    I thought we agreed on that the Apps are being installed on the microSD card and not on the internal storage memory? I was concerned about this too, so I did some looking around on my card which had a bunch of stuff from my Evo 3d on it. Not wanting to waste any space for the same app on both the card or the internal storage, I started deleting everything from the microSD card. Last night I installed a game that is rather big, around 45 mb, Air Defense, or something like that. The icon for it disappeared after I deleted everything from my microSD card, clear evidence that the games do get stored on the microSD card.

Too bad you don't have a choice when installing it, but I am thrilled to see that this phone has 2 GB of app memory vs the measly 1.06 GB the Evo 3d had. Add to that the 11 we get for internal storage, and we're definitely getting more bang for the buck with this phone!
    10-11-2011 07:16 PM
    The anchor part of the app code must remain in the Apps area of the internal memory.

Apps like Apps2SD can move parts of many apps to the microSD card. Some apps automatically install all the components they can to the microSD if a card can be found on installation. I am betting Air Defense is so large that it does this.
    10-12-2011 12:00 AM
    The anchor part of the app code must remain in the Apps area of the internal memory.

Apps like Apps2SD can move parts of many apps to the microSD card. Some apps automatically install all the components they can to the microSD if a card can be found on installation. I am betting Air Defense is so large that it does this.
    I looked it up...it's actually Air Attack...I think...lol. anyways, I understand the part of a small part of the app going into the small 2 GB internal partition, all apps have something sitting there, however, I understood what you said as meaning that the big apps which do install themselves onto a larger partition, land up in the 11 GB partition, however in my experience they really did land up on the microSD card. Apparently that was just a misunderstanding, a criss crossing of terminology.

:-)
    10-12-2011 12:56 AM
    I understood what you said as meaning that the big apps which do install themselves onto a larger partition, land up in the 11 GB partition:-)
    That is exactly my point, that 11GB partition is not your external micro SD card. It's the built in 16 GB that Samsung gave you.

If everyone would look at /mnt/sdcard that is the 16 GB partition (or memory area) that Samsung supplied. It is not the micro SD card. It is not the external_SD card.

So now look here: /mnt/sdcard/external_sd that is your micro SD card, that is my 32GB card that I supplied and installed. In my case, it is a 32 GB Transcend Card.

Apps are not getting installed there. However, I did find one app that stored data there, it was BeyondPOD my podcast player. If it sees a card installed it will try and download the podcast files to the REAL external_sd card.

The main reason I am getting so crazy about this, is because I've actually run out of space on my 16GB partition (the sdcard partition, which is internal).

Everyone is getting confused on the terminology as you just stated. So when I am asking questions on the forums everyone is really supplying incorrect information and issues can't be solved unless everyone truly understands the differences in the two places, the two partitions and the two physical locations.

And don't know how to get the word out to everyone (especially newbies like myself, although I do have a tech background and consider myself a geek or techie).

Rob

PS I think realize why Samsung is using these confusing terms, it's because it's a pretty standard way of describing the physical locations in UNIX or LINUX. If you look at there is a location /mnt/usb and it's empty. I believe because we can hook up a hard drive to this phone via the USB port, it the data from a hard drive will show up when a USB hard drive is hooked up to the phone.
    10-12-2011 04:16 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD