I have been waiting for the Galaxy S2 for ages, but there are two critical flaws that will turn me off very fast and I'm wondering if these will also plague the S2.

1. Poor radio

I have a NS4G and the radio in it is terrible because it does dropped calls frequently and I read somewhere that it's a problem on other Samsung phones as well. None of my other Sprint phones have ever dropped a call, so I'm hoping the S2 won't be a problem here

2. Updates

Samsung is HORRIBLE for updating their phones, like they did with the Epic 4G. Will they improve here and keep the S2 updated, or do I have to root it?
    09-11-2011 05:23 PM
    I don't know what the radio problem is. The Epic has no issues with calls. WiFi is a bugger but does work.
    Is your radio different from the Epics?
    With the updates, How many International GSII's out there not getting upates? if they are updates those phones then there has to be something up in the carriers here in the US. I do believe something is up with the phones because there are a good amount of people posting this problem. I will keep an eye out for this. It will be running 2.3.4 so it will be up to date at release. hoping the y learned from last year and with there partnership with the CM group , you have to Question that question.

You have 30 days to test it so make them count and by then they might announce the Nexus3 .
    09-11-2011 05:42 PM
    I love positive thoughts before folks even try anything

My understanding from 2 friends who own the Nexus (I do not own one) is that the software update did in fact fix the radio issues. Just be glad you don't own an EVO 3D because after the latest update, the radios still suck. Since you're already worried, you'll be thrilled to know that the Epic Touch has the exact same radio as the Nexus 4G.

This "Samsung doesn't update their phones" is getting rather lame. They update them as fast as everyone else elsewhere in the world. If you had bothered to check, you'd see that the Galaxy SII has been receiving regular updates. Start *****ing about your carrier rather than the manufacturer. Why do you think it took so long for this phone to come out???
    09-11-2011 05:56 PM
    1 The Nexus s 4g radio problem is mostly fixed with the latest update. Mine is working pretty good now.

2 Too early to tell. If I get this phone I wouldn't expect too much from Samsung
    09-11-2011 06:14 PM
    I would disagree that it's a carrier problem and not a Samsung problem considering that it's an issue with all the US carriers not just Sprint yet other manufacturers manage to have timely updates. However, I'm still not worried because I plan on rooting my phone and the dev community will be on top of things.
    09-11-2011 06:57 PM
    you'll be thrilled to know that the Epic Touch has the exact same radio as the Nexus 4G.
    That is scary I would have thought the next generation S2 would have everything all new, not the same radio used from S1 phones ?
    09-11-2011 07:27 PM
    I guess someone has HTC issues. Don't know who your were commenting to so i would just say positive thinking does not hurt anyone but the negative people. I agree that its both of there problems with the update issue and again lets hope last year was a lesson well learned. I like Sammy phones so as long as it works great as i positively think it will i will be happy with 2.3.4 until they upgrade or till i root it. if you don't like sammy then you don't have to, just get something else and enjoy. its all about Android anyway.
    09-11-2011 07:42 PM
    I know Samsung is no Motorolla when it comes to radios, but they're not half bad, either. The NS4G's problem was mainly software-related as far as I knew, since no one really was ragging on it after the update. It may not be the best, but hey, I live in a strong zone, so I'm optimistic. In the end, SAMOLED+ > Motorolla's great radios, but by all means check out the Photon if you're worried, that thing gets signals where no self-respecting radio would dare.
    09-11-2011 09:05 PM
    Wow, if the GS2 will have the same radio as the NS4G, then there's a problem.

First of all, my NS4G overall gets good signal in high coverage, but it does occassionally drop here and there, and especially wifi. But my biggest gripe is the dropped calls, which is why my topic originally asked "Why bother getting the SGS2?"

I'm going to flat out say it - I am kind of iffy here because the GS2 is a freaking beast, but I am worried about it making calls and after the incident with my NS4G, I'm not taking any chances.

And someone asked me about the updates with Samsung and how I should look to the carrier. I am not talking about the phone itself getting released, I am talking about the Android updates, which of course won't be too big of a deal since I'll just root anyway. That's why I threw that one out there.

But like I said, the main thing I am worried about is the GS2 having problems with calls, which is why I am hoping more reviews would come out and see how it holds up.
    09-12-2011 11:36 PM
    Once again, you have a full 30 days to decide if you like the phone...why stress about it now?
    LegendarySoul likes this.
    09-12-2011 11:39 PM
    Well maybe its just the unit I have, but it was dropping 3g a bit. I updated the profile/ prl, and it seemed to do okay, but I will keep an eye on it, and post back tomorrow.. I will say this phone is very nice though, its super fast as we already have known. Boot time was about 12 seconds for me from a cold boot. Amazing how quick it is..

09-13-2011 01:16 AM
    omg y u tease
    09-13-2011 01:25 AM
    09-13-2011 01:31 AM
    omg y u tease
    09-13-2011 01:32 AM
    09-13-2011 01:45 AM
    Well at least it isn't a monster compared to the Evo 3D so that's something to look forward to.
    09-13-2011 03:56 AM
    09-13-2011 04:27 AM